4/30/10

'Bitch Face' and the Road to Happiness

Bitch FaceI occasionally suffer from a condition commonly known as “bitch face.” It’s involuntary, and I’m usually not even aware of it. It’s plagued me throughout my life, however.

People have often told me that before they knew me they thought I was stuck up, unfriendly, and/or unhappy. When I was single, a favorite pick-up line of guys in bars was, “Smile!” or “Cheer up!” (Shockingly, this line was ineffective and only made me want to punch the guy out.)

In fact, my self-consciousness and shyness were a big part of the problem. Most of the people I know who go around smiling all the time are pretty confident, outgoing types. Me? I’m a writer and blogger who doesn’t even use her real name or photo here. Draw your own conclusions.

I’ve learned a lot in my almost 36 years of life, though. Most lessons I have to learn over and over before they “stick,” BTW. But one of those is, if you smile people are nicer to you. And if people are nicer to you, you feel better about yourself. And if you feel better about yourself, you’re a happier person. Is that profound or what?

Fortunately, I smile a lot more these days. Mostly because I have 2 adorable kids I love more than anything. I dare you not to smile when you see tiny jean-clad butt or a miniature pair of rain boots. Or a round little Buddha belly or a peanut-butter-smeared, dimpled face. Go on, I DARE YOU.

Another lesson I’ve learned about happiness? It’s a choice. When I was younger, I used to think that circumstances determined a person’s happiness. If only I had a job I liked, I’d be happy. If only I had a boyfriend, I’d be happy. If I only I had a better body, nicer apartment, more friends, a bigger paycheck … you get the picture. Is it any wonder I was often miserable?

Becoming a freelance writer actually made things worse for a while. I gave up a high-paying job to sit in solitude in front of my computer all day, sending out queries and getting back rejections -- or worse, nothing but silence. I joined a writers’ group and soaked up the anxiety and negativity of the most vocal members. Every acceptance made my heart soar, every rejection stung like a slap in the face.

To be honest, it was a relief when I got married and then pregnant with my first child. I could focus on something else for a while. I eventually went back to writing, but things were different. First of all, I welcomed what little solitude I could find. Second, I connected with other writers online and started writing again for pleasure by starting a blog.

I did less pitching and got more work through networking and referrals, including some of my biggest career successes to date. And the highs and lows evened out because I no longer had my ego and self-worth all tied up with my profession. I had one, and now 2 little boys to remind me of what’s really important.

It kind of sneaked up on me, but I have realized I am finally happy. Sure, I still have struggles and disappointments, but deep down I am content and at peace with my life. And that’s enough to make anyone smile.

SHOUT OUT: To my fellow writer Christina Katz, the original Writer Mama, The Prosperous Writer, and the inspiration for this post. I'm fairly certain she never has bitch face. When I took her class 2 mos. after becoming a new mom, I never dreamed it would set me on the path I’m on today. Thanks, dear!

You, too, can take her class, Writing & Publishing the Short Stuff, or my class, Personal Essays that Get Published, both starting May 12. You'll be glad you did!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I could have written that first part about myself. I have been afflicted with involuntary angry face for years, and remember being really hurt the first time someone told me that he actually thought I was a b**ch because of it. I hadn't done a thing to him! (On the other hand, I think it served me well as a high school teacher.) But you're also right that motherhood helps a lot with this particular problem, if only because no one is looking at me anymore, they're all looking at my beautiful baby!

Anonymous said...

I absolutely loved this post. I, too, suffer from 'bitch face' with an anxiety disorder to boot.

This post really touched me, probably because I'm three months pregnant with my first baby, and I can feel myself changing already. It's amazing what motherhood can do, isn't it?

Anyway, this was great. Thanks

Kathleen@so much to say, so little time said...

What a lovely post. So honest. And I think many of us can relate.

Stuff Parents Need said...

OMG, I make the same face, and I rarely realize it. People ask me rather often what I'm upset about, and then I realize that I'm just making "the face." It is embarrassing.

Lizz said...

I love this post (well, all of your posts). After reading this, I have started to catch myself and I did it just this morning. I was at the grocery with my 16 month old son. I had in my hands my bag, my list, a sippy cup and a cart liner. I dropped one of those things and a nice lady picked it up for me. My furrowed brow and "bitch face" expression lifted and I tried to keep it at off the rest of the shopping trip and the rest of the day in public, it worked!

Thanks for your wonderful posts. I am a relatively new reader to your blog (been reading for about a month) and I love it so far!! Very inspiring.

Aurora said...

Oh my gosh, i see from other comments here that i'm not the only one that has this malady in common with you. its only been in the last couple or so years though that i've realized i have this....and i 'catch' myself doing it still sometimes. I've signed up for your may class and am looking forward to it...i seem to be in a stuck mode with my writing...can't get the stories out where they make sense..

Anonymous said...

Yes, the jean-clad diaper butts get me every time. Especially on my own two sons. Thanks for this post, Abby. Can't imagine you with a bitch face :).

Lisa said...

I loved your post, it reminded me as a freelance writer we all have those rough moments. Sharing them reminds us to keep going and be inspired by those who love us and by each step we take in the freelance world.

angie mizzell said...

I saw this post in my reader and have been dying to get to it! Seems like you're in good company with the "bitch face." Even me, Miss Cheerleader, has one. I definitely resonate with happiness is a choice!

Related Posts with Thumbnails