12/7/10

Clean House? Not So Much

I may have mentioned a time or 20 how I try to squeeze as much freelance work into as little kid-free time as possible, which necessitates arrangements so complex that pulling off a triple axel on dull ice skates seems easy in comparison.

So it was nothing short of a miracle when the mom of my son’s classmate offered to give him a ride home once a week. This meant Miles could stay an extra couple hours for the after-school program instead of being forced to come home and be quiet while his baby brother naps and I work. Plus, I wouldn’t have to cut the baby’s nap short to pick him up. Win-win, right?

The first time this other mom brought Miles home, however, her son needed to come in to use the bathroom. Terror shot through me.

You see, people, our bathroom is not what you’d call “guest ready.” Not only do we not have decorative hand towels and French-milled soaps, but you’re lucky if there’s toilet paper and no puddle on the floor. You might find a half-eaten banana in the bathtub, a sippy cup of milk in the sink, and a toothpaste self-portrait finger-painted on the mirror.

It’s disgusting. I know. But when you have 2 small, exceedingly messy boys and no time (or cleaning lady), that’s what you get. Certainly if we’re expecting guests I’ll run a Clorox wipe over the counters and toilet and chuck the mess behind the shower curtain. But if it’s just us, what’s the point? A clean bathroom lasts only until the first potty break.

So, disguising the panic in my voice, I said to this other mom, “Sure! Of course! Let me just run in there real quick and make sure we have hand soap.” (As if. That was used up long ago when the boys decided to give their action figures a bubble bath in the sink.)

The next week, I was prepared. The bathroom was passably clean. But this time she asked to fill up her kid’s water bottle in the kitchen. Where she encountered a sink full of dirty dishes from breakfast… and lunch. I was humiliated. I’m not striving to be Martha Stewart, but there are low standards and then there are frat-boy standards. We were probably violating several health codes in the kitchen and bathroom alone.

So the following week, my house was CLEAN. Really clean. (I mean, not under-the-couch clean, but come ON. Let’s be realistic here.) And you know what happened? The other mom was running late and drove off without stepping foot in our immaculate abode.

I took some small, sick comfort in the fact that when my son came home from a playdate at their house, he said the kid’s room was really messy.

READ O' THE WEEK: In case you missed it, here's my article on "The Truth About Kids and TV." You'd think I could clean while my kids are watching a show, but no.

9 comments:

Stephanie said...

My house is pretty much never "company ready" oh and it is pretty uch never Mother In Law ready. Life is too short to clean!

angie mizzell said...

Abby this happens to me all the time. Keeping the house clean is a never-ending cycle, and everything I do gets undone quickly. I don't really care... but what gets me is how people always seem to pop in when it's a mess, and never when it's clean. Why, why is that?

Lisa said...

Company is always the great motivator for me to clean as well. My son's third birthday party is this weekend, so I will be heading into cleaning overdrive pretty soon myself.

Don't consider your efforts wasted. Even if you cleaned for someone else's eyes, you still get the benefits for yourself. A little less crumbs in the carpet can't hurt anyone. ;-)

Jenny Rae Armstrong said...

Personally, I love it when I drop by other peoples' houses, and they're a mess--it feels awesome to know that I'm not the only one who has a hard time balancing work, housework, kids, etc. :-D So chalk it up to good therapy for the other mom. Working from home is brutal--all those "shoulds" staring you in the face all day.

It's Not Like a Cat said...

Sounds like our house. :) Yet for some reason I still think it's a good idea for us to host xmas eve dinner this year--despite the fact that our guests (my family) are clean- and neat-freaks and live in practically sterile environments. I should have started cleaning in October!

Shannon @ AnchorMommy said...

Seriously? Sheesh, go figure. I have the same luck. No one ever sees my house when it's looking its best. But when the trash cans are overflowing, the sink is full of dirty dishes and the floor hasn't seen a broom in weeks (let alone a mop!) that's when I get unexpected visitors. What luck.

Unknown said...

Don't feel bad. I make friends clean my house when they come over, ha ha! Kidding ) kinda

Such a disaster. My house is always a mess. But I seem to attract super laid back friends (who like to do dishes).

Heather Solos said...

Oh hon. I work from home, too. It's a never ending battle. My kids are also close in age. It's slowly getting better now that the youngest is 3, but I still find half eaten apples in the strangest places. Under the bathroom sink? Really?
I try to stay on top of things. I have a routine that works (read that-when I DO it) but some weeks are certainly better than others.
You are NOT alone and yeah, someone else's mess makes me feel so much better, too. :)

Heather Solos said...

Umm better about myself, I'm not claiming to be better than them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails