12/19/10

Random Thoughts: Holiday Edition

Would people look at me funny if I swabbed down the entire holiday train garden with Purell before I let my kids near it?

Would those parents over there get offended if I handed their kid a tissue?

It’s pretty amazing how coughing and sneezing into your elbow has become common practice. Kind of like sitting “crisscross-applesauce” or “like a pretzel” have almost universally replaced “Indian-style.”

Why do some kids love mall Santas and my kids won’t go near them? I think they’d actually prefer going to the dentist.

Will my toddler's obsession with the Christmas tree ever wear off? Or will he not rest until he’s pulled every single ornament off the tree? (We’ve already lost at least 3 to his death grip. RIP, Rudolph.)

When did sending out Christmas cards with professional photos on 100-lb. cardstock become the norm? Some of the ones we’ve gotten are nicer than our wedding invitations.

Does every married couple give each other boring gifts for Christmas, like a new Dirt Devil or a wireless earpiece for their cell phone, or is it just us?

Why would anyone beyond my immediate family ever try to give me clothes? I don’t even let my husband buy me clothes unless it’s a specific item I’ve already picked out.

Why is my 4-year-old son so damn picky about his clothes? Would it kill him to wear a sweater vest and shoes that aren’t Crocs? Is he worried the wrong outfit will ruin his image at preschool?

Will the gifts my boys get when they’re young shape their future identities? My toddler’s getting a play kitchen and a toy stroller. Will he grow up to be a chef? A stay-at-home dad? Or just a regular guy who makes pancakes on Saturdays and takes his kids to the playground?

Is my 4yo old enough this year to notice or care how many presents he and his brother each get, and how big they are? I hope not. Because the toys seem to get smaller the older they get.

How far should we go to prove that Santa is real? Is eating the cookies enough? Or do we need to disguise the handwriting on the gift tags, too? (This is how I discovered my mom was Santa, BTW.)

Will I be able to get over my fear of germs, Christmas card envy, gift angst, and other assorted seasonal stresses and enjoy the holidays this year? I think so.

LINK O’ THE WEEK: Check out this slideshow of ugly Christmas sweaters. And you thought your mother-in-law’s was bad?

8 comments:

Rebecca Einstein Schorr said...

Oh Abby, I don't even know where to start. I LOVE this post!!!!! And no, lots of couples give less than exciting gifts. But, as I noted either last year or the year prior, they can actually be acts of love. Such as the carbon monoxide detectors my husband gave to me.

Keep breathing.... and writing!

Shannon @ AnchorMommy said...

You've had a lot on your mind! Just so you know, we're a boring gift couple too. Case in point: I'm giving my husband new dishwasher-safe cutting boards for Christmas because the ones we have drive him nuts. Why they drive HIM nuts I'm not really sure, since he's not the one using them 95% of the time...can you tell I'm a little bitter that he's only starting his Christmas shopping now, which means there's no way I'm getting the custom stamped necklace from Etsy that I wanted?

Whoa. This has turned into "Random Comment: Holiday Edition." Sorry bout that.

Abby said...

(I've been reading for a few weeks; you're pretty neat, Miss Ma'am!)

I carry antibacterial wipes with me always; I still say "Indian style." And I can't stand a sniffling child when I have a tissue handy! Don't feel bad!

And good for you for not conforming to gender roles when it comes to gift giving! I'm so glad to hear that.

Mom2Miles said...

Carbon monoxide detectors and cutting boards? Awesome. Thanks for making me feel less lame. :) And less like a germophobic freak.

Shannon, just order the necklace for yourself. You deserve it!!

Superstitions said...

I honestly don't understand why anyone besides my family or husband would get me clothes for Christmas. My MIL made it obvious last year that she does not know my style. I've never worn an ounce of pink in front of her, yet the pajamas I got were completely pink.

I think that less than exciting gifts have their years. Last year I got a purse, and I needed one. I don't know if it counts as boring, perhaps it does compared to the knit panda hat and New York rainboots I got this year.

angie said...

My 18-month-old son is getting a kitchen for Christmas, too! And my kids have never been to see the mall Santa. I was wondering if that made me a bad mom. But, I think next year I'm giving in and getting that darn Elf.

Etta said...

How about getting underwear from the MIL and opening unknowingly this "standard" gift in front of the brother in laws!

Mom2Miles said...

Superstitions: Me too on the pink stuff from MIL!!

Etta: Underwear in front of BILs. Awesome.

Angie: you mean the Elf on the Shelf? Definitely!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails