12/15/10

Life's a [Fill in the Blank]

I’m having an internal battle with my positive-thinking side and my life-is-hard-and-then-you-die side.

I’ve always envied natural optimists. (My 4-y.o. is one.) People whose default setting is happy, and who shake off setbacks and disappointments easier than the rest of us. People who embody the phrase “Don’t sweat the small stuff -- and it’s all small stuff.”

But try as I might -- and I do try – certain experiences just knock me off my shiny happy track. And then I veer over to the dark side. The “nobody said life was fair” and “life is full of disappointments” side. I don’t like it over there. Even though there’s lots of company.

I almost think that I’m succeeding at developing a sunny outlook because when they do come, disappointments are so much more disappointing these days. I guess if I was truly beaten down I’d just shrug and sigh, “Of course it didn’t work out. Again.”

I recently had a major work-related setback. A golden opportunity came floating down from heaven on angel’s wings. The stars aligned and pointed me toward my destiny at the exact moment I needed it most. Opportunity came knocking when I was showered, dressed, and my house was clean. Choose your own mixed metaphor.

And then, after loads of effort and phone calls and late nights and “finally my ship has come in” thoughts, it all fell through. Boom. Just like that, my ship sailed off into the star-crossed night and the angels lost their wings. (Sorry, I don’t know what’s going on with me today. Too many Christmas stories?)

I was devastated. I cried, I felt sorry for myself, I drank a lot of wine, and nothing anybody said made any difference. Interestingly, this is the same way my son reacted when a playdate he was really looking forward to was cancelled at the last minute because the other kid got sick. (Only substitute juice boxes for wine.)

It was awful to see my baby like that. He sobbed big, fat tears. He wailed and bemoaned the unfairness of it all. He was powerless to change things. His day was ruined. And there was nothing I could do or say to change it. Even though I knew that it wasn’t the end of the world, that we could reschedule the playdate, that we could find something else fun to distract him, I could see that for my son, it really did feel like the end of the world.

I know you’re probably thinking I’m going to end with a lesson here. Some sage advice about how I learned to take life’s hits in stride because of my son. But I’m not. I’m just going to say that, yes, sometimes life sucks. You don’t always get what you want. You can’t smile and force the world to smile with you at all times. A window doesn’t always open when a door closes. (Or whatever the heck’s the metaphor I’m mangling.)

So I’ll just say that it’s a lot easier to get past life’s disappointments when you have someone to hug and snuggle up with on the couch. So that’s what we did, my babies and me. And I thought maybe there’s someplace in between “life is a cabaret” and “life sucks.” Or maybe I should just leave the sayings alone. :)

READ O’ THE WEEK: Oh, jeez. Maybe it’s the time of year? I looked back in my archives and found this post I wrote almost a year ago to the day: “In All Honesty…” (On the upside, our tree didn’t fall down this year… yet.)

7 comments:

Kathleen@so much to say said...

Oh, Abby. I am so sorry. If you want misery for company, check this one out:

http://kathleenbasi.com/2010/11/17/when-good-intentions-go-awry/

And if you don't want company, then just take this: I feel for you. And you're right,s ometimes it just does suck.

Callie Feyen said...

I sooooo hear what you're saying, and I love how you don't have an "easy solution" except to just sit and acknowledge both sides. I have these days all the time. As I try and figure out the freelance thing, I find that it's a huge roller coaster of emotions every day. In one day, an article I wrote came out on the magazine's cover, and I got rejected from TWO DIFFERENT writing groups. I was so confused I didn't know whether to drink my wine to drown my sorrows or to celebrate. :) Either way, having your kiddos to hug at the end of the day is a good, good thing.

angie said...

You know, I typically say that the truth is somewhere in the middle... but I'm with you on this one. Sometimes life sucks. And sometimes it rocks. I don't think there's a middle ground in that. If things can be wonderful, then certainly there are times when things just aren't. But look at it this way, you got a great workout at the gym. :)

Sarah said...

Hang in there and I'm sorry after all your effort the opportunity didn't work out. I guess the only light I can offer is that no one died right? That's half sarcastic and half serious. I've lost several close people in my life and that sure does give "bad day" new meaning and, cheesy as it sounds, makes me cherish the happy moments all that much more. So glad you had your beautiful boys to snuggle with! Hard to be sad for too long when you're cuddling with your children right? Again, sorry.

tineroche said...

That really sucks!!!!!!!!! don't know how else to put it. But your blog made me think about it and I guess if life wouldn't suck sometimes we couldn't really enjoy the great times. I know it doesn't help but in situatios like that I try to tell myself, who knows it might have been for the better that it didn't work out. Keep your head up!

Rebecca Einstein Schorr said...

ARGH!!! How frustrating. I too love how you resign yourself to the fact that there is no pithy saying to bring the experience to a packaged conclusion.

There is nothing as sweet as hugs and snuggles of our little loves.

Shannon @ AnchorMommy said...

I'm sorry too, Abby! You know, when I finally came to the conclusion that I had to leave my job (which I'm sure is really not as serious the setback you just endured) I LOST it. I cried, I drank wine, I drunk chatted my friends on Facebook for support. Nobody's advice seemed to help. And then I realized...I NEEDED to fall apart a little. So I let myself go to pieces for a couple days, and then I felt SO much better about what was ahead for me.

So, I guess what I'm saying is, don't feel bad if you just can't snap out of it. Sometimes, the best thing is to just wallow in the misery for a while.

Hugs to you.

Related Posts with Thumbnails