12/5/10

Christmas Card Outtakes

Here are 3 reasons why you may not get a Christmas card from us this year:






Now, look. I’m not one of those people who has to have the perfect fairy-tale family photo on their Christmas card. (Though that does describe about 90% of the cards we receive, I'll point out. Not that I'm jealous or anything.)

But if I’m going to spend the time and money to print and mail dozens of these puppies -- which will adorn mantels and refrigerators all over the country -- I’m just not willing to go the ironic route, OK? My blog is FULL of those kinds of photos.

Is it too much to ask that one measly time a year I capture an image of my children in which they are both looking at the camera? In which no one is crying, pouting, or sitting on his brother? In which no one has a black eye, a visible booger, or marker on their face? In which both kids look cute and like they weren't raised by wolves?

Yeah, I thought so.

Guess we'll just have to work with what we've got.


LINK O' THE WEEK: For cards that may induce jealousy, make you laugh, or give you ideas, check out McMommy's annual McHoliday Card Spectacular. My fave's the one of the 3 kids in the leaves.

9 comments:

Kelli @ writing the waves said...

I feel your pain. I tried to take one of my kids tonight in front of the Christmas tree. Between the delay on my camera, its blinding flash, a son with ants in his pants, let's just say, it was not an enjoyable experience. Those glasses are a crack-up though. I love pics that show their personalities. :)

Kim Murray said...

It takes a good 100 or so pictures before I get a Christmas-card worthy shot. "Put your arm around your brother,"..."no, don't stick your finger in his ear,"..."STOP pinching each other!" I finally got a good picture this year, smiles and laughter included, when I made a fart noise instead of saying, "say cheese." It doesn't really take much to amuse boys. Next year, I'm getting out the whoopee cushion before I get my camera.

angie mizzell said...

I vote for the first and the last one! I admit, I'm one of those moms who pays a photographer to capture us frolicking through the park. The problem is this year our photo shoot is Wednesday! Yes, I waited a little late this year. I love getting photo cards. I just bought a pretty door-hanging thing to hold all the cards. And seriously, my address is... :)

Jana@AnAttitudeAdjustment said...

I had the same exact issue. Why is it so hard? And yet it is. So I just made a compilation of a bunch of photos we took throughout the year. I suppose it'll do.

tineroche said...

I just LOVE the last picture!!!!!!!!! It is hilarious and I would love to receive a christmas card like that ! :))

Bri said...

Adorable! I am going to go the more modern route and product a video greeting instead (since it's my new hobby). I better get cracking!

Shannon @ AnchorMommy said...

Ha ha! I know. No wonder professional photographers charge so much. It's nearly impossible to get children to cooperate!

I LOVE that last picture of the boys in the glasses! That one is a winner, in my opinion. :-)

SpontaneousMom said...

I love the Naughty and Nice photo!! It makes me smile!! I have never attempted to get a photo of the family that is card worthy. But trying to explain to my 10 year old- that there is a difference between a smile and showing all your teeth- is a converstation that we have often LOL!

Alexandra said...

Oh, do I ever remember those days. Almost forgot.

Now, I get a smirk and an eyeroll.

It just doesn't ever get better, just different.

Related Posts with Thumbnails