1/8/10

Off and Running

As little as 2 days ago, we had 3 bipeds in the house and 2 quadrupeds – the dog and the baby. Now, the baby is one of us -- HE’S WALKING!

I am equal parts proud and horrified. See, he’s only 10 mos. old. My older son walked at 10 mos., too. And went from walking to running practically overnight. Well, you know what comes after walking, right? FALLING. And tripping and split lips and chipped teeth and visits to the ER. Oh, joy.

So here’s how it happened: we were playing in the family room, and Riley pulled himself up on his big brother’s Bat Cave. (You know, Batman’s secret hideout? Duh.) Before I knew what was happening, the baby turned around and took 3 quick steps towards me. I started shrieking and Miles starting laughing and Riley looked confused and pleased at the same time.

We then spent the next 20 min. trying to make him walk again so I could capture it on film, which resulted in tears and hysterics and jealousy. Nice job, mom. Well, what do you want from me? It’s exciting stuff! Anyone who thinks they won’t be as thrilled about Baby #2’s milestones is wrong.

Besides, I missed Miles’ first steps. At the time it was traumatic, but like any good writer I turned that trauma into material. The result was an essay that appeared in A Cup of Comfort for New Mothers. Take that, mommy guilt!

I have to admit, I haven’t been quite as vigilant about recording my second child’s milestones. He rolled over at 4 mos. Or maybe 5 mos.? Started crawling at... um... Well, I KNOW he got his first tooth at 7 mos. Or was that Miles? First food? I’m going to go with sweet potatoes. Yeah, that sounds right.

Anyway, back to the walking. Seeing a tiny, bowlegged person in footy pajamas teetering around on 2 legs is an interesting experience. At first it seems strange and wrong, like a cat using a toilet. But at the same time, it’s adorable and hilarious – you can’t witness it and NOT crack a smile. And when you see how pleased with himself the baby is, it’s even better. Look, ma, no hands!

Here, just see for yourself:


And from another angle:


Admit it, it’s exciting. And it proves that my baby’s a genius. It took cavemen, what? Hundreds, thousands of years to learn to walk upright? (Hey, I took biology a loooong time ago.) Yet MY son mastered the skill in a mere 10 mos. Hmm, I wonder if cavemen had to worry about chipped teeth?

QUOTE O’ THE WEEK: My 3 ½ y.o. son Miles doesn’t like when I call him “cute.” He prefers “cool” or “awesome.” However, he recently made an exception: “I’m cute when I’m in my jammies and cool when I’m in my clothes, Mama.”

5 comments:

Kathleen@so much to say, com said...

Congrats to all of you! I swear your kids and mine are connected at the head. My almost-5-y-o gets furious if anyone calls him cute. And boys do NOT like "pretty" or "beautiful" things. They can only be called "cool." Or "awesome." And boys are not cute, they are SNAZZY.

Shannon @ AnchorMommy said...

Awwwwww! Cute!!! Congratulations! Sounds like those first steps really caught you by surprise -- how exciting!

Um, I also have to say that I can see why Miles insists on being referred to as cool. He looks like one super cool guy in that picture!

Crysi said...

How fun, now they can run in opposite directions ;)

I'm having a problem remembering when the twins did what too and I've been awful about recording it.

Colleen Summers said...

OMG I about died laughing at the second one b/c I can just see when my daughter starts to walk and her coming at me and then falling out of the range of the camera b/c she fell down and wow it just makes me grin and laugh. Whew, really long run-on sentence.

Stuff Parents Need said...

I'm glad you got to witness that! I just wrote a post about missing my daughter rolling over for the first time!

Related Posts with Thumbnails