1/13/10

The Terrible Threes?

I don’t know what’s going on around here. My formerly sweet 3.5 y.o. son has morphed into a teenager overnight. Emotional outbursts, tears, name-calling, aggression, refusal to eat, streaking, night-waking – all out of nowhere! What the heck??

The other day, for instance, I picked him up from preschool like I always do. We were getting out of the car and I noticed a couple of empty juice boxes on the floor. (Nothing out of the ordinary, sadly.) “Let me grab those and throw them away,” I said casually. I picked them up and tossed them in the nearby garbage can.

Then Miles went nuts. And that’s putting it mildly. “NOOO!!!! I don’t WANT you to throw them away!” he screamed, tears of rage streaming down his cheeks. “NO, MAMA, NO!!” He then proceeded to kick the trash can until it fell over, spilling garbage onto the ground. What the … ?

Chalking it up to low blood sugar, I ignored him and carried the baby into the house. Miles followed, and seemed to have calmed down somewhat. I made his lunch and he began eating it silently. I poured him a cup of milk without him asking. (Normally, he begs for milk, chugs it immediately and then wants nothing to do with his food.) When he noticed this, he said, “Why did you give me milk?” Me: “Because I know you like it.”

Round 2 of losing his sh*t: “I don’t WANT milk!! I don’t wanna hafta pee!!” More screaming, more tears. I couldn’t keep myself from laughing. This child has never passed up milk in his LIFE. And as for the peeing? That’s our excuse for not giving him more milk right before bedtime. At this point, I’d lost my patience and sent him to his room. There was stomping and door-slamming and other assorted ugliness. I half-expected a pack of cigarettes to fall out of his pocket.

I repeat: what the HECK?! It’s not like this was just a bad day, either. There have been a handful of other uncharacteristic, out-of-the-blue outbursts recently. Even at school, which was a first.

My son used to be a champion eater, too – he once declared veggies his favorite food – but that’s all changed. Every meal is a fight to the death over every little bite of scrambled egg or chicken. He would consume an all-popcorn, fruit, and milk diet if we let him. But protein? Forget it.

I know you’re not “supposed” to battle with kids over food, but I see no way around it. The “let him starve, he’ll learn” philosophy leads only to meltdowns and more stress for me. And yes, I realize that it’s a power struggle, but I think I do a pretty good job of offering my son choices and letting him have SOME autonomy.

And don’t even get me STARTED on the clothes. When he’s not stripping naked and running around the house, he’s having a hissy fit over a certain pair of jeans or an uncool shirt. (Basically, anything without a truck, dinosaur, or superhero on it.) The kid would live in his pajamas if left to his own devices. We may have a budding Hugh Hefner on our hands.

Plenty of people warned me that the threes are even worse than the so-called “terrible twos.” (Thanks, people. Helpful.) But I don’t know what you’re supposed to do about it. Fortunately, there are glimpses of Miles’ former personality in between all the drama. When he snuggles up next to me to read a book, say, or kisses his baby brother on the head. Other times I catch myself thinking, “Who is this pajama-clad punk and what have you done with my son?”

PIC O’ THE WEEK: “Check out my new choppers. And, yeah, I know how to use ’em. Mommy’s got the teeth marks to prove it.”

10 comments:

Christina Katz said...

Twos were a piece of cake for us. Threes were harder. Hit right after she turned three. :)

Shannon @ AnchorMommy said...

Juice boxes, in the GARBAGE? What kind of mother are you? You are clearly torturing your son by trashing his old juice drinks! ;-)

I kid, of course. Honestly, I'm now terrified of my nearly three year-old! I've been thinking nothing can beat the terrible twos, and then I read this! Is this my future? Perhaps so. My boy nearly melted into a puddle of tears on the floor yesterday when I flipped on the bathroom light. Apparently he had his heart set on flipping the switch himself. Yikes.

Well, I'm crossing my fingers for you that Miles is just passing through a (hopefully short) phase!

Kathleen@so much to say, so little time said...

After complaining about my strong-willed preschooler, someone loaned me "The Strong-Willed Child," which has been a tremendously affirming read. I have realized that a) I do NOT have a strong-willed child, and b) I'm doing everything right. One of the things I read was that they go back & forth. One day they wake up and everything is a battle; you fight the fight for days, or weeks, and then, like flipping a switch, there's your sweet child again.

BTW...love the chompers. hehehe

Carrie said...

Sigh, a friend of my husbands told him this, "Terrible Two's? Try the F*cking Fours" so sadly, we only have MORE fun ahead.

My 3.5yo sounds very similar to yours. She will have a hissy fit over the smallest thing, refuses to eat anything but toast and waffles, insists on doing everything herself and if you try to correct a mistake...WHOA NELLY!! Get out of the way!

But she is also a sweet loving little girl too so I have hope that this too shall pass

Oh and I agree with AnchorMommy. How dare you put the juice box in the garbage!!?? Don't you know those can be recycled? :)

melissa said...

i always say that it isn't the terrible 2's. it's the terrible 3's-5's. it is!!
adorable chompers!

Anonymous said...

"I don't wanna hafta pee!" - my favorite line yet!

Mom2Miles said...

The F*cking Fours?! That's the first I've heard of THAT!!! But who am I kidding? Did I really expect things to get easier at some point? ;)

Loukia said...

Oh yes, well, I'm afraid to say the terrible twos last into year 4, too! Well, not as bad. But there are still moments that are very questionable! My 4 year old is going through a 'feed me' phase right now. Like, we have to feed him his food. But my newly turned 2 year old feeds himself. Backwards, or what? It is so tough... he will get mad and cry sometimes at the smallest things, too. SIGH! Being a mom is HARD all the time....

earn money at home said...

I completely feel for you… my three year old sometimes acts out like this as well in the grocery store, at preschool, before naps and bedtime, at the dinner table, etc. Sometimes it is just downright embarrassing. I just try to remain calm and remind myself he is only this age for a little while and I have got to try to enjoy it, even through the fits. I really think it is him just “testing the waters” to see how much he can get his way.

tineroche said...

I'm so glad that I read this because I have been going nuts with my 3.5 year old. All the things all of you are writing we are experiencing and just the other day I asked my husband is he 3 or 16 years old. It is just crazy but it comforts me to know that it's not my crazy son it's 'normal'. THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails