1/25/10

The Saga of the Skinny Jeans

It’s all Oprah’s fault. And Rita Wilson’s. The other day I got sucked into one of those makeover shows. Who doesn’t love a good makeover? Mrs. Tom Hanks, looking ridiculously young and attractive for a 50-y.o., was coercing women to shed their shapeless, outdated excuses for fashion and step into 2010. According to Rita, there are 4 must-have items for women of every age: black leggings or skinny jeans, black boots, a sweater, and a scarf.

Personally, leggings give me flashbacks to the 6th grade. Technically, I believe those were stirrup pants I wore, but the look was the same--tight pants under a long top. Mine happened to be an oversize pink sweatshirt, which may or may not have been off-the-shoulder. Hey, it was the “Flashdance” era!

Then leggings came back in style when I was in college, because I distinctly remember a comment made by a snooty teacher during my semester abroad in France. This guy took one look at my outfit and asked if I was going to do “l’aerobic” after class. OK, dude. You’re the one in skintight WHITE JEANS with a neckerchief, but I’M the one committing the fashion faux pas? Whatever. French people.

Anyway, I would be thrilled to never encounter leggings again. But what do you know? They’re ba-aack. Along with their sinister cousin, the skinny jean. Or even WORSE, an evil hybrid: the denim legging!! Can we all just admit that this style does not flatter 99% of the population? Unless you’re an Olsen twin or a German supermodel, you can’t rock skintight pants.

At least, that’s what I thought. Until Rita and Oprah trotted out women of all ages, shapes, and sizes looking great in skinny jeans and boots. Well, damn. If they can do it...

I had the perfect excuse, too--date night. It’s Restaurant Week here in Baltimore, and my husband and I made reservations at a swanky Italian place downtown. Since we go out about as often as a solar eclipse, however, I don’t exactly have a lot of stylish outfits. In fact, my current wardrobe includes a pair of black velour sweatpants that I wore during both pregnancies. And wool clogs. My God, I look worse than some of those “befores” on Oprah!

So with this little nudge, I headed out to find some---yes---SKINNY JEANS. First stop: Old Navy. I might only wear these things once, so why pay more than I had to? I struck out there, and the next place I went. I was ready to call off the whole charade but I decided I’d try Loehmann’s just for kicks.

If you’re familiar with Loehmann’s, then you know that the dressing room is one, big, open, mirrored, fluorescent-lit nightmare. What was I DOING here?! Especially when I couldn’t even pull the first pair higher than my knees. Damn European sizes! But lo and behold, I found a pair that actually weren’t hideous. And they were $180 designer jeans!! (Originally. On sale for $24. Please, don’t you know me at all?!)

I took them home and got ready to go out. And by that I mean I attempted to apply eyeliner while keeping the baby from eating toilet paper, made up his bottle while my hair dried, and prepared Miles’ dinner while my husband got ready at his leisure, by himself. I swear, he takes longer than a cheerleading squad primping for homecoming.

So I put on my new jeans with some boots I already owned and a cool vintage velvet jacket I’ve had forever. Oprah and Rita would be so proud! Then I looked in the mirror and saw that I looked exactly like... this:


Not exactly the look I was going for. But hubs said I looked good. Plus, the sitter had arrived and we were late for our reservation. So off we went. Giddy-up!

CONTEST O’ THE WEEK: Win a trip for 2 to L.A. and/or tix to see the movie “Valentine’s Day.” Share your most romantic or funniest Valentine’s Day memory with Care.com. They say all entries should be rated PG ;) Contest ends Feb. 14.

9 comments:

Name: Holly Bowne said...

Ha, ha! That's great! I missed the show, but a friend told me about it and explained that I was totally hip in the new black skinny jeans and black boots I was wearing.

Although, I must admit, I did feel like I needed a horse to ride off on when I looked in the mirror as well. Ha, ha! Great post!

Mama2Monkeys said...

good for you trying something new! and good for you for date night too!!

Julia said...

I'm sure you looked fabulous, but that's exactly why I hate the current trend of sleek boots worn over skinny jeans: everyone looks like they're en route to dressage class! I refuse to participate. (Then again, my husband has told me more than once--quite kindly--that perhaps I should watch "What Not to Wear" because I'd really benefit from it.)

This antifashionista will continue to dress like a bohemian frump's poor cousin, favoring boot-cut jeans and chunky shoes. Between pregnancy and then the new-mom-of-a-second-baby phase, I figure I have another 8 months before I have to get back on (or somewhat near, or at least look around for) the fashion wagon.

Anonymous said...

I want to see pictures!!! I have not tried the skinny jeans for fear of looking like the fat girl squeezed into skinny jeans...

Mom2Miles said...

No way, sister, no pics!! I'm afraid that if I actually see a picture of myself it will shatter any illusions I had that I looked good. ;)

Loukia said...

Seriously, skinny jeans and/or leggings are SO NOT A STAPLE for a woman's wardrobe! Unless you're 115 pounds... GOD. I won't ever try on skinny jeans NOT EVER! And leggings, not for me either!

Anonymous said...

LOL!!! I have been having this same issue for over a year now, and have been too afraid of going out and buying those skinny jeans. But I did, eventually, for a Halloween costume! And they looked great!!! Because I had them tucked into my boots (I have doc martens that go up to my knees) no one was able to see my oversized calves (this is one of the reasons I have been so afraid of skinny jeans). But I have to say, even with a more elegant boot I do admit they are quite flattering :) Still wish that flares will come back (but I'm sure they will, it all seems to go around in cycles anyway).
That was such an enjoyable read, thanks so much :)

Unknown said...

I know Abby well and if you all knew her you'd know she could ROCK anything. She has a body to die for and is always hesitant to wear certain things that ONLY she could wear. You go girl!

Shannon @ AnchorMommy said...

Ugh. Skinny jeans and leggings just piss me off. Boot cut jeans for me, thank you very much.

Related Posts with Thumbnails