3/24/10

In the Thick of It

The other week I met a mom. We started chatting about our kids, as moms tend to do, and she asked how old mine were. When I told her 3 and 1, she gave me a look that was part pity and part relief. Her kids were 5 and 7, I believe. “Wow, you’re really in the thick of it, aren’t you?” she said.

I suddenly remembered a friend telling me about a very similar conversation she had with another mother when HER kids were 3 and I. Except I believe that woman’s exact response was, “You’re in hell, huh?”

If complete strangers are widening their eyes and oozing sympathy, there’s gotta be something to it, right?

The thing about having kids ages 3 and 1 is that one is trying to be independent and the other is still completely dependent on you. One can talk (you may wish sometimes he’d stop) and the other gets your attention by screaming and crying. One is trying to do wheelies on his scooter and the other is trying to scale the stairs. One can eat anything but won’t, and the other can’t eat everything but tries to. One is still napping (thank God) but the other wages epic battles against quiet time. One may be out of diapers but you’re still wiping 2 butts. It’s grueling, people.

And yes, I’m sticking with that word: GRUELING. Rail at me all you want about how motherhood is nowhere near as hard as picking beans in a field and I will tell you you’re WRONG. It’s harder.

In a single day, you can find yourself rushing to the pediatrician because of some weird rash, racing to the ER because someone did a faceplant at the playground, saving one kid from drowning when his brother gets too rowdy in the bathtub, fishing the other one out of a duck pond, and changing a wet kid in a crowded locker room after swimming lessons while the other screams in the stroller. And yes, these are all real-life examples.

In a single night, you can find yourself comforting a child who’s coughing and another who’s having nightmares. You could be chasing away monsters, singing lullabies, fetching cups of water, and changing diapers and sheets. You might sleep from 11 p.m. straight through till 7 a.m., or you could be woken at 2 a.m., 4 a.m. and 5:30 a.m. You never know.

Some days I wonder if I will ever again wake up without a small, damp person clawing at my face and kicking me in the stomach. Will we ever get through a meal without tears and threats? Will I ever get to finish a cup of coffee without reheating it 7 times? Will I ever get to shampoo AND blow-dry my hair on the same day? Or wash, dry, fold, and put away a load of laundry in the same week?

So why the heck do people do this kid thing, then? Because all the stress and struggles are interspersed with moments of real joy.

I’ll be yelling at Miles to take his hands off his brother when I notice Riley is laughing harder than I’ve ever seen him laugh. Riley will be wailing in the car and I’ll hear Miles say, “Don’t cry, buddy. When you get bigger we’re going to have bunk-beds, isn’t that exciting?” The tears and scrapes are offset by hugs and silly songs we make up. A day may start with spilled milk and slammed fingers, and end up with a picnic and feeding the ducks. And then one kid slips and falls into the pond and it’s back to tears and laundry.

So, yeah. I’d say we’re in the thick of it. But at least I know from these other moms that there’s life on the other side of 3 and 1. Man, 5 and 7 must be a walk in the park... without a change of clothes.

MILESISMS, VERB EDITION:

- When he uses half a bottle of soap to wash his hands, he’s “make suring” they’re really clean.

- “Mom, when you’re done take caring of Riley, can you get me a snack?”

- He likes “lawn mowering” the grass with his toy lawnmower.

14 comments:

Carrie said...

yup, been there, done that. I have kids the same gap: 2 yrs 2wks to be specific. It has been hell but it's also so sweet to see how well they get along. I know in the end they will be the best of friends...or hate each other to the depth of their souls (I do have 2 girls afterall)

Loukia said...

Gosh, we are SO in the thick of it! I'm there too, only my boys are a bit older, 4 and a half and 2 years old. Okay, things do get a lot easier once one child is 4 and older, but still... we're not in the clearing yet! ;) And my 2 year old is a tornado of excitement... always on the go! It is hard... but so cute at the same time, to see them at this age, together, etc.

MeanMom Denise said...

Someone called that age the "shitstorm," which is true on a couple of levels. My two boys are 5 and 7. Yeah, it's easier now. Or not, depending on the day you ask. Someday, they'll be teenagers. As a mom of teens once said to me, "at least you know where yours are!"

Mom2Miles said...

Oh, god, Denise, "shitstorm" indeed!!

I guess there's really no "easy" ages when you're dealing w/ kids.

Cynthia said...

I'm in the same boat...and I'm exhausted:O

Sarah said...

I totally let mine play in the tupperware cabinet today and, instead of putting the tupperware pieces in the dishwasher after he scattered them all over the floor, I blew on them and put them back in the cabinet. And- I ONLY HAVE 1 KID! :)

Kathleen@so much to say, so little time said...

That's what they always say to me--it gets easier on one level and harder on others. I have 5, 3 and 1, with plans for another, so I try to keep a good attitude and say it's just the season of life. But I definitely have (many) moments like you!

Mrs.E said...

Those milesisms verb additions are soooo cute!! I can't wait to hear my boy's vocabulary.

Do I understand from what all you moms are saying that I should wait for my first to be three before thinking of getting pregnant again?

Caitlin @ Pacifier In My Pocket said...

That's definitely in the thick of things if I've ever heard it! Amazing, wonderful, priceless and exhausting, frustrating, and thankless at the same time. Motherhood is funny like that.

The Pink Blogger said...

“Don’t cry, buddy. When you get bigger we’re going to have bunk-beds, isn’t that exciting?”

how adorable! that made my day! thanks for sharing

Shannon @ AnchorMommy said...

Oh boy. I'm really in for it when this second baby comes, aren't I? Love your point about still wiping two butts. That's exactly where I'll be in a few months. Still, I'm glad my boy will be about 3 1/2 when #2 comes. I have several friends who have or will have two kids who are very close in age, and I am very grateful I don't have to do the double diaper thing.

But OMG, the "don't cry" advice from Miles? That is the sweetest thing in the world. I can't wait for stuff like that. :-)

Shannon @ AnchorMommy said...

Oh, I forgot to say this in my last comment...last week I met a neighbor mom who told me she loves hearing my three-year-old play in the backyard because she loves hearing his little voice. She said she melts a little when she hears him, because it makes her think of when her boys (who are now 14 & 17) were little. She said now they just say "hey mom." in deep, gruff voices. We laughed. And I realized that sweet little voices and silly language quirks are SO INCREDIBLY PRECIOUS. Young childhood is hard, but the sweetness is fleeting. I try to remind myself of that. :-)

Laurie said...

I'm definitely someone who finds it easier as they get older (8, 5, 2) - I sure can't wait to be past the last toddler stage, that's for sure!! But there are moments of sweetness during the young years that just can't be beat!

Angie Mizzell said...

Your posts make me feel like we're living parallel lives. But I often feel sad at how quickly the baby/toddler/preschool years seem to be passing. It's hell, but I think I enjoy living in it. I imagine those are hormones talking, though. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails