3/5/10

Birthday Blues

R's 1st b-day, photo by TGSOne of my former writing students wrote a scathing and hilarious essay about kids’ birthday parties. It began something like, “Do you enjoy standing around on Saturdays in your socks making small talk with strangers?” As someone who’s been to more than a few toddler parties, I could completely relate. I don’t HATE kids’ birthday parties, but they’re not my favorite way to spend a Saturday, either. Here’s why.

It starts with the guest list. In theory, I am all for the “one guest per year of your child’s age” policy. Certainly, I am not interested in hosting a 50-person throw-down every time one of my son’s birthdays rolls around. But here’s the thing. Once you start including parents and siblings (the norm for most of the little kids’ parties we’ve been to), you end up with a crowd.

Also, at my son’s school they have a policy that kids should invite all or none of their classmates to their birthday parties. I get it; they don’t want anyone to feel left out. But the WHOLE CLASS?? Good lord, people! Do you know how many goody bags that is?

Which brings me to the next thing: goody bags. When did these become the norm? Of course the kids love them. But now my son EXPECTS to leave every party with his own loot. And not just a lollipop and a couple of stickers. His gift bags have included coloring books, temporary tattoos, stamps, pens, balls, games, and of course, CANDY. Lots of it.

I actually considered shirking the trend for my 1 y.o.’s birthday party. After all, it was just a couple of family members and friends. Small, casual. I know for a fact most parents don’t want another bag of plastic crap from the Target $1 section. It’s cheap, it falls apart, it’s almost surely made in China and saturated with lead paint. But...

Some of those things are so darn CUTE. Have you seen the Easter stuff? And imagine the disappointment on those poor kids’ faces when they left the party empty-handed, with nothing but pizza stains and a killer sugar buzz to remember it by. I couldn’t do it. I compromised by giving them board books. Yep, I’m THAT mom. Next thing you know I’ll be handing out raisins on Halloween.

The next anxiety-causing issue is the gift. I am not a great gift-giver even when it comes to people I know and love. Ask my husband. To this day, my kids’ favorite gifts are things other people bought them. So the thought of buying something for some random kid I know nothing about besides their gender fills me with dread.

How am I supposed to know what they like? What they’ve read? What they already have? If they live in a TV-free or Barbie-free household? (They exist, I know for a fact.) God forbid I give some kid a Tinkerbell puzzle and incur the wrath of a feminist, anti-Disney parent.

I know, you’re thinking, “Just get a gift receipt.” Uh-uh. Because I have a place where I can get new, hardcover books for a steal. And another place where I buy things like hand-painted wooden toys from Germany for up to 70% off. No one needs to know my secret! (Except you guys, that is.) If they want to regift it, that’s their business.

So, yeah. I’m a little stressed about birthday parties. I thank my lucky STARS that my older son’s birthday falls after the school year. Until then, you can look for me on weekends at the gymnastics place, the inflatable jump house place, the bowling alley, or the art studio. I’ll be the one standing around in socks, making small talk with strangers.

LINK O’ THE WEEK: If you plan ahead, personalized stuff like this from Olive Kids is a foolproof gift. Super-cute, too.

*Thanks to my friend T for the photo!

10 comments:

Amber Page Writes said...

Wait. I have to give out gift bags at my 1 year old's party? Crap. I had no idea...

What else don't I know? I'm going to be "that" mom, I think.

Kathleen@so much to say, so little time said...

We've always had great luck keeping things low-key for birthdays. Till this year. The year he's in preschool. The year that he's started being invited to parties with goodie bags (I loathe them) and destination party locations (ooh, yet another way to show up the neighbors) and presents to buy. I don't believe a kid should HAVE a party every year. Have a friend for dinner, sure, but a party Every.Single.Year just seems so ridiculously overdone. We've been in negotiations with my oldest since before CHRISTMAS, and his birthday is still a month away! For this year we decided he can have as many friends as he wants but there will be NO PRESENTS. And no goodie bags. Just cake, ice cream & games in the back yard. Yeah, I'm old fashioned. So sue me. :)

Meg said...

You're so succinct about it while still being polite, nice touch! I've always figured that the 1st birthday party is all about the adults and celebrating the mom's survival of the first year. So no goody bags, just tasty munchies and beer.

Other than that, I hate birthday parties. I hate giving them, I hate the social dynamics of who to invite and what someone else might say if you DON'T invite them, I hate the gift bags, etc.

So here's my approach. I don't do gift bags, I ask for no presents, and when it's someone else's party, I let my kids pick out a present. We have given a basketball, a stretchy toy lizard thing and a miniature pumpkin (a real one), to name a few.

I don't remember any of this fuss when i was a kid. Did our parents give it this much thought, I wonder? hmm... there's an interview waiting to happen!

happy (belated) labor day anniversary, too! Enjoy your beer, you deserve it!

HarmSkills said...

my sons party is in two weeks. I feel your pain. there was a recent NY Post article about $140 swag bags for party favors at a 2 year olds party in NYC. That is what I have to compete with... every party (for 1 year olds) my son has left with a personalized favor... now its our turn. we are having music, favors, and who from the neighborhood to invite?? its a merry go round of crazyness and we are on it.

HarmSkills said...

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/mommy_want_swag_bag_LptpOKTK5EVkscWQqwdA7H

$142 swag bag article!

Mom2Miles said...

OMG, that is *ridiculous*! Thanks for the link, HarmSkills.

I agree it is SO over the top (espec. for a 1 y.o.!), so those of you who don't buy into the hype & manage to keep things simple, good for you!

Angie Mizzell said...

I'm still recovering from my son's 4th birthday, the first one that was really no fun for me. And you just confirmed what I was feeling... all those parents didn't want to be there either. :) I had a blast at his first birthday... which was a big beer party for adults. I feel bad for my baby... I'm so over it now. He's going to get the short end of the stick for sure.

Elaina said...

I'm cracking up about the board books!! I just bought each child a Sesame Street board book as a party favor for my son's first birthday.... from the Target $1 section, no less!!

Shannon @ AnchorMommy said...

OMG, I SOOO feel your pain on this one. My boy's birthday is today and since he's in preschool now, I contemplated inviting kids from his class for about two seconds. Then I realized it was probably an "all or nothing" proposition as far as the guest list goes. Screw that. I think we're just going to have family parties as long as we can. The whole "destination" birthday party thing, complete with bags of plastic crap, just makes my stomach turn! I will avoid it like the plague for as long as humanly possible.

Stephanie said...

This is a great entry. I just hosted my daughters 1st birthday and it felt like I was planning a mini-wedding

Related Posts with Thumbnails