3/10/10

Early Bird

The baby has decided to make a liar out of me. Remember how I said now that he’s 1 he’s gotten a lot easier? WRONG. Don't let this picture fool you. The past 3 days in a row he’s decided to wake up crying at 4:30 a.m. Not just whimpering and falling back to sleep. Wide awake, hollering at the top of his lungs. Why? Teething? A dirty diaper? A burning desire to watch infomercials? Who knows. Any attempts to coax him back to sleep in his room or ours are futile. It’s like wrestling a bobcat.

Needless to say, being forced awake before the sun’s up sets the tone for the rest of the day. By the time 10 a.m. rolls around, it feels like it should be 5 p.m. No such luck. I have tried to rest when Riley goes back down for his nap, but that plan is foiled by someone else: his brother.

Miles’ idea of “quiet time” is to jump repeatedly off his bed onto the floor, or to build intricate structures out of books and blocks and then crash into them with his trucks. I’d have a more restful nap backstage at a Metallica concert.

Also, I cannot WAIT until Riley learns to talk. He has no problems being HEARD, mind you, it’s just that his primary means of communication is a range of high-pitched screams. “AAAAAHHHHH!” means “Come get me out of this crib immediately!” while “UUUUUHHHHHHH!!!” means “You are not feeding me at a sufficiently swift pace.” There are other screams that mean “Give me that toy back” and “How dare you keep me out of the cabinet where you store the toxic cleaning products!”

In between the screeching and clawing and not sleeping, he is actually quite cute. Lucky for him.

I’m sure there is something witty or pithy or profound I could say here. But waking up at 4:30 a.m. does not render me at my peak mental performance, shall we say. I’m lucky I can string a sentence together.

So, hey -– if there are any rowers or bakers or newspaper delivery people out there who need help getting up extra, extra, EXTRA early? I’m happy to lend you my screeching bobcat alarm clock. If the noise doesn’t wake you, the aroma from his diaper sure will.

QUOTE O’ THE WEEK: “When I grow up I’m doing to be a donut maker and a diver.” –Miles, age 3. Good luck with that, son. And make mine a maple frosted.

9 comments:

Loukia said...

A donut maker and a diver, huh? CUTE! Well, my 4 year old is going to be a soldier and a construction worker. Sigh... ;) They do say the cutest things, huh? Also, I feel for your tiredness! I'm sorry!

Shannon @ AnchorMommy said...

I thought I was tired! Yikes. I suppose what you're going through is a preview of what I will enjoy as a mom of two. My sympathies.

HarmSkills said...

is something in the air these days... my son wont sleep past 430, and there have been some 4am & 415 wake ups... we dont know what to do, we try later bedtime, earlier bedtime, CIO till 5, pick him up right away, nothing seems to give. And we arent asking for much, we just want him to sleep till 515 or 530... which lately, doesnt seem all that early... if you figure it out let me know... until then, i'm hoping day light savings will get him sleeping later.

Sarah said...

Maybe our boys are communicating through blogs when we have our backs turned?? Mine woke up at 4:45 on Saturday and 5:56 yesterday. Thankfully, after a bottle, he went back to sleep. You poor thing!

and p.s. had no idea you were also a French major. bizarre! too bad mine is so rusty these days not sure I could come up with much more than that. ;)

notlikeacat said...

Good luck. We had a 5 a.m. waker for a long time. Then we started locking the cat in the basement for the night, and voila! Now the toddler often sleeps until past 7 a.m.

So obviously you need to find a cat--any cat--and lock it in your basement at night. It might help. :)

Anonymous said...

I am not going to be original this time, so all I am going to say that your blog rocks, sad that I don't have suck a writing skills

Mom2Miles said...

I KNEW there'd be lots of you out there who could relate. JM: hmm, have not tried the cat in the basement strategy... Sarah: I just want to faire la grasse matinee for once. Isn't how they saying "sleeping in"?? Yay for daylight savings time!

Kelli @ writing the waves said...

That's too cute. I should have been a do-nut maker. Wish they had a Dunkin Donuts around here. I could use one right about now.

Angie Mizzell said...

Blake likes to wake up (for the second time) at 4:22. Exactly. So tomorrow morning, I'll be thinking of you... knowing you're just 8 minutes behind me.

Related Posts with Thumbnails