3/7/10

Bloggy Boot Camp Baltimore

I attended my first blogging conference this weekend. There, I learned some important things. Such as:

1) There are a lot of people out there with much better haircuts than me.
2) There are a lot of people out there with way more kids and page views than me.
3) Not all bloggers are introverts.
4) I really should have brought business cards.
5) I have more balls guts than I thought.

First, you should know that I crashed the conference, which was called Bloggy Boot Camp. I was not registered or invited. I waited too long and the conference was sold out. When I woke up on Saturday morning, I was seething with jealousy and regret. WHY hadn’t I just signed up?? Actually, I didn’t think I was available that day, but it turned out I was. And I had childcare and everything!

At my husband’s urging, I decided to just go down there and hope they had a no-show or two. Hey, it happened at our wedding. Why not a conference? The whole time I was showering, picking out a blog-conference-worthy outfit, and obsessively checking Twitter to see what people already at the conference were saying, I was thinking, “I can’t do this. It’s so forward. So obnoxious. So NOT ME.” I was as bad as those White House gatecrashers! Only not as well-dressed or connected, obviously.

So you know what happened? I showed up and...they let me in. Nicely, graciously, totally no big deal. Whoa. Who could’ve predicted THAT?

The moment I slipped into my seat, I knew I had done the right thing. First of all, people? Bloggers are FUNNY. None of those stiff, boring Powerpoint presentations droning on and on. People were laughing, shouting out questions, sharing information. I didn’t even want to go to the bathroom because I was afraid I’d miss something. Even the woman running the conference was so down-to-earth that she took off her shoes halfway through and walked around barefoot the rest of the day. Awesome.

There seems to be this mythical lore surrounding “mommy bloggers” right now. They’re always being talked about in the media and by advertisers and PR people, and it seems like every other mom you meet at the park has a blog. Dooce has become a household name. (Blogger joke: Some family member reads the article du jour mentioning Dooce.com and says, “Hey, this woman is actually making real money from her blog. YOU should do that!” Ya think?)

Sometimes the attitude toward mom bloggers is patronizing. Sometimes it’s positive (“Ka-CHING!” think the advertisers). And sometimes it’s perplexed. Why would someone devote all this time to a blog when a scant few are making any money from it? Who reads it? What’s the point? And why attend a conference if all you do is write about your kids and your husband’s crappy housekeeping habits? (Not me, of course.)

Well, there are probably as many different answers as there were women at that conference. I met people who blog about fashion, food, saving money, even how to make your own tutu. I met lawyers, photographers, stand-up comedians, mothers of triplets, people who make their own yogurt, people who flew cross-country to be there. And that was just at my lunch table.

I bet it would surprise some people to know that there were discussions about media kits and advertising rates and work agreements in between conversations about “The Bachelor” and potty training. That’s right. We mom bloggers are a multifaceted bunch.

For me, it was a chance to meet some people IRL (that’s “in real life” for you non-texters) who share my passion for blogging. It was an opportunity to gain some knowledge and support for my labor of love. (My OTHER labor of love, besides the 2 little ones at home.) It was a chance to spend an entire day on my own, doing something *I* wanted to do. How often does THAT happen?

But boy, did I miss my boys. Within minutes after the conference ended I was picking up my son’s prescription and heading home to nuke frozen peas and lay out Batman pajamas. Later, I knew I’d jump back online and start implementing what I’d learned. That’s my life -- a messy mix of mom, wife, writer, blogger, domestic, and professional. Just the way I like it.

SHOUT-OUT: To my amazingly supportive hubs, who always encourages me at whatever I do. *Love.*

20 comments:

CaraBee said...

Fantastic recap! And how great that you grabbed life by the horns and come down! It was so great to have a local event for us mom bloggers.

Are you going to the MomzShare event next weekend?

Anonymous said...

does this mean we'll see you in NYC for Blogher!?

Jennifer G. said...

I love that you did this!! What a wonderful and encouraging husband that you have! I was there but I don't think that we met... which is sad for me. You seem like an amazing woman and blogger!

Sharon said...

YEAH! I had no idea you were such a bodacious party crasher!! I love it! I don't think i could ever be so bold, but I'm sure glad you did!

Really terrific to meet you over lunch yesterday. Lookin' forward to the next time!

Hugs from the yogurt maker!

Kathleen@so much to say, so little time said...

I'm always intrigued by the blog conferences. Maybe someday... I'll be interested to see you implement things--I learn a lot from other bloggers!

Mom2Miles said...

I don't know about MomzShare and BlogHer. I want to go, but I have major mom guilt from leaving the kids w/ hubs for all that time. Of course, THEY all love it & could care less I'm gone!

Neena, did you go to BlogHer last year? What'd you think? It's huge, right?

Geezees Custom Canvas Art said...

Great recap!
I thought the conference was great and was very informative!!

Sarahviz said...

I think it's awesome that you did that and OF COURSE you were welcome!

Mrs Ebrahim said...

Wow! Sure sounds like you had a great time :) Wish I could have joined and learned a few things about blogging since I am so new at it. Well I'll just pray they repeat it once I am in the States :)

@TiffanyRom said...

THIS was excellent insight.

Seriously. I love that you pointed out that the women who blog are more than the sum total of cooking dinner and changing diapers.

And, I think you were meant to be there, so I am glad you were. ;)

Tiffany

Cheryl said...

It was so nice to meet you! You totally rock!

Jayme said...

You are SO right about Tiffany- she's amazing! I'm glad you got up the nerve to come- it was such a great day!

debi9kids said...

Wow! Good for you just going! It was such a fantastic event and you described it perfectly.

I wish we could've met. Maybe the next Boot Camp??? ;)

angie mizzell said...

I wanna go! Sounds amazing. I'm so glad you decided to crash the party. I think I have blog conference envy. :)

Dumb Mom said...

You sound like my kinda lady! Not because I'm forward or ballsy, I mean GUTSY, or anything cool, but because I want to be. Next time we'll have to meet!

Shannon @ AnchorMommy said...

Jealous! I wish that there was a blogger event close by that I could crash. Kudos to you for having the nerve to get in!!!

Dianna@KennedyAdventures said...

major kudos to you for grabbing the bull by the horns! How awesome, and so glad your husband encourages you!!

Evolving Mommy Catherine said...

I am so glad that you did decide to be a "gatecrasher," it was great talking with you and I am so glad you crashed your way to my lunch table!

Emily on the Southern Prairie said...

thanks for posting this! i heard about the conference through ... blogworld. too late though. glad to get a cool recap!

The Grasshoppa:Triplets Plus Two Momma said...

OMG...how did I not know that you crashed BBC??? And we sat together!!lol Who were you sitting next to?

I am so impressed. Are you crashing Philly too?! You're my new hero!

Related Posts with Thumbnails