5/20/09

Me Time? Not on My Time!

So you know how people are always telling us moms we need to take time for ourselves? After all, we’ve all heard the oxygen-mask-on-the-airplane theory: you can’t help anyone else unless you help yourself first. Yeah, right. First you have to find the time and get some back-up.

I can go to yoga *IF* my husband gets home from work on time. I can take a nap *IF* my kids cooperate and both sleep at the same time. I can relax and watch some TV *IF* I don’t have to bake 2 dozen cupcakes for my son’s preschool class, wash the bathmat for the bazillionth time, scrub spit-up off the couch, or write those long-overdue thank-you notes.

Read more about my quest for some me-time at TheBump.com:

4 comments:

K said...

Great topic; I'll go to the post next. Too often people tell me this and I just want to ask "and just how am I supposed to do that?"

K said...

I couldn't find a link to leave a comment at The Bump, so I will leave a second one here. I really like what you wrote, because I think EVERY mom can relate to it and needs help with it. One of the biggest realizations I've had since becoming a mom is it is 24/7. I get frustrated when others tell me to "make time for me," as if it was a simple thing to do. My daughter is 22months old and I still have to choose some days between sleep and a shower like you said. Even the basic necessities that occur when I might be alone are hard to fit in some days. But when I got to the end of your post in The Bump and read "doctor's orders" I loved it and thought this is the solution. Sometimes I'm just going to have to say that and do it and not think about how I'm going to do it, but just do it. Whether I ask/tell my husband or get a sitter, I need to take the time to be alone.

So thank you for your post!

Mom2Miles said...

Thanks for your comments, Kimberly! It's true, we could all heed this advice more. I shouldn't need a Dr. to tell me that, but somehow it makes it more legitimate, you know?

Loukia said...

It is so hard time find 'me' time, I agree. That's why I am up until 1 a.m. every night - because I basically only get 'me' time from midnight on! Maybe in a few years, we'll be able to enjoy more 'me' time... here's hoping, right?

Related Posts with Thumbnails