5/9/09

Here's to You, Mom

Poor moms. Somewhere along the line, they go from being adored and bestowed with handpicked dandelion bouquets to being shunned and forced to drop off their kids a block away from school so as not to embarrass them in front of their friends.

I know I did this to my own mom. Apparently, I was such a miserable teenager that it scarred her for life. She never tires of telling anecdotes from that era. It’s true, I did give her a hard time about everything from wearing sneakers with her pantsuits to forcing me to eat homemade bean soup.

And now look at me -- I AM my mom. I say things like “I don’t want to hear another peep out of you” and “it’s a good thing you’re cute.” I sneak wheat germ into my son’s yogurt and force him to eat soy “chik’n” nuggets. I can’t even say at least I have better fashion sense, because I go around wearing flip-flops, nursing tanks and cargo pants most days.

I think it’s every mom’s secret -- or not so secret -- wish that her kids a) grow up to appreciate their mother and b) grow up to have kids of their own that are just as obnoxious as they were. I swear I’ve seen my mom stifle a snicker when Miles spits out the homecooked meal I’ve made him or Riley spits up for the 10 billionth time. Or maybe I’m just projecting. In any case, I certainly do appreciate my mom WAY more now that I have kids of my own.

I appreciate all those years of her nursing my brother and me back to health when we had ear infections and stomach bugs. Taking us to gymnastics, soccer, Little League, dance lessons, and day camp. Cooking us meal after meal, day in and day out, year after year. Baking us special birthday cakes and sewing Halloween costumes. Helping us with our homework even when we waited until the night before a big project was due. Taking me to every store in the tri-state area to find the perfect prom dress. (It’s not her fault that my idea of the perfect dress was royal blue stretch lace with illusion sleeves!)

I wonder if my mom had any clue she would still be mothering me, AND my own kids, when her baby was 34. We sure are glad to have her around. Especially since the sneakers she wears with her pantsuits have gotten way more stylish. (Sorry, Mom, I couldn’t resist!)

For all the moms out there, even if you’re feeling overworked and underappreciated, know that someday, maybe years and years from now, your kids WILL realize they’re lucky to have you. Here’s hoping it happens sooner rather than later. And a nice card and a mimosa wouldn't hurt. ;)

Happy Mother’s Day, everyone! We deserve it!!

QUOTES O’ THE WEEK: “All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That's his.” --Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

“Grown don't mean nothing to a mother. A child is a child. They get bigger, older, but grown? What's that suppose to mean? In my heart it don't mean a thing.” --Toni Morrison, Beloved

3 comments:

Loukia said...

Happy Mother's Day to you...enjoy your day!

Sage Cohen said...

Amen! There's no way to begin to comprehend how much our mothers love us and how much of their lives they dedicated to ours until we become mothers ourselves!

Allison said...

I can so relate to your opening paragraph. lol Happy belated Mommy Day!

Related Posts with Thumbnails