1/15/08

Subaru Showdown

We have not had a smooth start to the new year. It’s as if the minute the ball dropped, evil spirits conspired to make my life difficult. Workwise, things took a turn for the worse for both C. and me. More on that later. And Miles has turned into a Terrible Two virtually overnight. Apparently, he didn’t get the memo that his birthday’s not till June.

It started one day when I was picking him up from the sitter and, instead of running towards me, he turned and sprinted in the opposite direction. This kicked off a fun game of catch-me-if-you-can, culminating in me wrestling him to the floor to get his coat on. Then, once we got home, he refused to come inside. Once in the house, he refused to take his coat off, and so on and so on.

Then came the Talbot’s Parking Lot Incident. Let me set the scene for you: that morning, we’d joined my neighbor and her 2 sons at an indoor playground. I won’t reveal the name of the place, but in my opinion it should have been called Ultimate Lawsuit Zone. It was mayhem, people. Picture hoards of tiny Vikings pillaging inflatable villages. Picture Lollapalooza for kids, with mosh pits and crowd surfing and torn shirts, only with juice boxes instead of beer.

My son, clearly born without the fear gene, took off like a bullet the second we stepped inside. Panicked, I ran around looking for him, only to spot him whizzing down an unbelievably steep slide with his arms up. Not even remotely concerned that no one was at the bottom to catch him. My poor neighbor was trying to keep her 3-year-old from being trampled alive and feed her 5-week-old at the same time. After 40 minutes of this, we’d had enough. Sweaty and frazzled, we parted ways in the parking lot.

But I couldn’t leave well enough alone. I just HAD to pop into the Talbot’s outlet for a minute to check out the kids’ stuff. Let me tell you: no amount of 70% percent off Christmas clothing could make up for the saga that ensued.

Miles started getting antsy in the store, so we left. Once back at the car, however, he adamantly refused to get back in his carseat. Back arched, teeth bared, legs kicking, arms flailing, the whole bit. Although I outweigh my child by over 100 lbs. and can carry a half-dozen bags of groceries at once, I physically could not force his stubborn little body into the carseat. The more I tried, the madder and meaner he got.

I stopped and took a deep breath. Passersby were staring. I feared someone would call Social Services. Fine, I thought, have it your way. So I let Miles run amuck in the car. He crawled into the front seat, beeped the horn, turned on the windshield wipers and generally had a grand old time. After awhile, I tried again to get him into the carseat. Same scenario. By this time we both had scratches on our faces and were out of breath. I yelled, he screamed. Neither of us was giving in.

Finally, in desperation, I called C. at work: “I am stuck in a friggin’ parking lot with your stubborn son and you better come get him into his damn carseat before I leave him by the side of the road!!” He did.

At this point, Miles was sobbing and heaving hysterically. He smacked away anything we tried to give him -- a drink, a snack, a toy. Thinking it might soothe him, we headed for the Chick-fil-A drive-thru. We sure as HELL weren’t letting him out of the carseat again! Waiting for our food, I saw a woman walk by with a baby on her hip and 3 other children under the age of 6. Calmly, peacefully, all holding hands, like it was NO BIG DEAL. I hated her on sight.

Since that day, the carseat showdown has become a near-daily experience. Once, I bribed Miles with an old cereal bar that had probably been on the floor of the car for 6 mos. Another time, I sang "The Itsy Bitsy Spider" and tickled him. I even called my mom and tried to get her to distract him over the phone. Some things worked, most didn’t. All I know is, 2008 can only get better.

READ O’ THE WEEK: Catherine Newman’s “Confessions of a Mommy Blogger” in the Feb. issue of Wondertime. The article’s not available online, but her blog is. I like how she calls blogging “the underbelly of scrapbooking.” Hee!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm a brand new reader to your blog and I loved your article. I totally sympathize with you and have done the call for husband reinforcements even within my own home! And I totally want to be that Mom with the four behaved children even if they're probably not always like that - but I still want her parenting handbook!

Mom2Miles said...

Hi, Gilda! Glad you found me & thanks for writing. You have no idea how much better it makes me feel to hear that I'm not the only one!

princealexsmomma said...

I hear you! It is amazing how much strength they have! They sure are little stinkers.
-Jamie

Nellie said...

Where did you get that shirt? I have to have one for my little gal!

Nellie said...

Oh and I should add, sorry about your bad day! Our E is 20 months old and those days are something I have been experiencing every single day... it's either not wanting to get into her carseat or it's the hitting/throwing of everything I try to give her... a sippy cup, snack, her baby, her blanky... anything. It has been very trying to say the least! Does it ever end??!

Anonymous said...

I remember the car seat battles, when our son turned into the human ironing board, and there was absolutely nothing I could do to get him in. My husband was always much more successful. I lost track of the number of times my husband had to get out of the car and come around to strap our son in.

My son is now 3 1/2, and though it's probably of little comfort now, I can promise you that it's just a phase, at least with regard to the car seat. Getting him to stand still in order to dress him is still a challenge...

Wendy said...

Im sorry that no one told you that the terrible twos started at 18 mo. I hope things get better.

Mom2Miles said...

Thank god it's a phase. Although lately people having been telling me it's not the twos I need to worry about, because their kids went through the terrible THREES! Super.

The shirt came from Target. Isn't it awesome? There's a short sleeve version, too.

Related Posts with Thumbnails