9/28/10

Is Being a WAHM Bad for Business?

OK, so I promised I would discuss That Chapter of the book I wrote about in a recent post. (Although, surprisingly, @UnMarketing has so far been UnResponsive to my review of his book. Hmm...)

Anyway, the chapter is titled “Why Being a Work-at-Home Mom Is Bad for Business.” In it, the author says “claiming that you work from home, especially if you have children, can give people the perception that they may not be your priority as clients.” He later adds, “If you mention you have three kids under six years old and you’re homeschooling them, then I question when the work for me, the work I need done and am paying you to do, is going to get done.”

The thing is: he’s not wrong. I do think it’s unprofessional to conduct business while your children run amok and shriek in the background. Hello? That’s what babysitters (and TV) are for.

That said, there are a lot of different work-at-home scenarios. For instance, you could be:

- A fulltime, salaried employee who works in an office except when your kid’s sick or you have a childcare crisis and are forced to work from home.*

- A salaried employee who works full- or part-time at home while your children are at school or being cared for by someone else.

- A freelancer or other self-employed person who works at home while your children are at school, asleep, or being cared for by someone else.

- A freelancer or other self-employed person who works at home but doesn’t see the need--or doesn’t want to pay for--childcare.

This last group seems to be the one the author is describing. And these people? Are delusional. (I'm talking about people in my situation who have toddlers, not teenagers.)

Look, I can understand the motivation. If you’re a freelancer, you essentially work on commission. Or, to put it another way, you only eat what you kill. It makes budgeting tough. So the strategy of trying to squeeze in as much work as you can with as little paid childcare as possible is understandable. But it’s hard. Trust me, I know.

If you work in a laid-back field or with other at-home parents, it might not be a big deal. You might even be blessed with understanding clients who don’t care if “Spongebob” blares in the background. I had one such client who said he didn’t mind. But *I* minded. I knew I wouldn’t be able to concentrate fully and give him the attention his project deserved. So I scheduled our call for another time.

I’ve had to make some serious sacrifices to be a WAHM. I gave up my office space, which I rented with a couple other self-employed folks. I work very limited hours right now, and feel the pinch in my paycheck. I have all but given up projects that require phone interviews, for the above reasons.

Also, when you work from home there’s always the chance that a snow day or a nap boycott will derail your day. If you’re on deadline, you’re up a creek. Remember the blizzard of 2010? I worked my BUTT off to make sure I met my deadlines and delivered what I’d promised my clients. It was hell. But I did it.

If you read the entire chapter in “UnMarketing” (all 2 pages of it), it’s clear the author is really saying, don’t lead with the fact that you’re a WAHM in your marketing materials. I agree. I said as much to fellow writer and WAHM Angie Mizzell in her latest article for Hybrid Mom: I don’t advertise the fact that I'm a WAHM, but if it comes up I'll mention it.

And it turns out it's not such a big deal if you meet your deadlines and do good work. Meetings with one of my favorite clients usually start with a discussion about our kids. It’s a great way to connect before we get down to business. And after all, as a wise man once said, people do business with people they know, trust, and like. ;)

*BTW, this group has provided some of my favorite blog posts ever. Check out Not Mommy of the Year’s “A Taste of Work at Home” and PineappleBabble’s “SAHM.” LOL!

6 comments:

Krista @ Not Mommy of the Year said...

I totally agree with everything you said!

PS. The owner of my company's favorite quote is "People do business with their friends" Sounds pretty similar to what you wrote. :)

Anonymous said...

I worked from home one day per week and found that I over compensated for being home. I found myself checking/responding to emails well past normal quit time. If I took a lunch break, I felt guilty running errands, etc. Kudos to all of those out there that make it work,whatever their situation

Val said...

Yep, I took very few calls when the kids were little. I really pushed for email communication and phone calls only when necessary.

Then I didn't take more work than I could get done when the kids were napping, occupied by playdates or sleeping. It's not for very many years that you have to do that even though it feels like forever at the time.

tineroche said...

I don't think I could ever work from home. I have a hard time getting anything done around the house with the kids around, e.g.cleaning, cooking etc. SO I don't even know how WAHM do it!! I have a lot of respect for you. It takes a lot of discipline, strength and patience to do that!

Shannon @ AnchorMommy said...

I would argue that WAHMs can be seen as MORE reliable your average home worker, because a WAHM knows all too well that you can only get things done if you carefully manage your time. Sure, kids will be kids and can derail work plans from time to time. But I think on the whole, WAHMs know how to get the job done in spite of such delays!

But yeah, putting "work-at-home mom" at the top of one's resume probably isn't the smartest idea.

Loukia said...

I just couldn't work from home, unless my children we're in the home with me. I can barely get on the computer for two seconds when I'm home with my boys!

Related Posts with Thumbnails