9/15/10

You're a Good Mom. And You and You, Too

Among the moms I know, it’s common practice to make fun of yourself for being a bad mom. “That’s me -- Mom of the Year!” we might joke after sending our kid to school with their shirt on inside out. Baby has a diaper blowout and you forgot to pack a spare outfit? Bad Mommy!

I get it. It’s self-deprecating. It’s funny. Lord knows I’m guilty of it. (PROUD of it, even!) But do we really believe deep down that we’re not good mothers? I sometimes wonder.

So I’ve decided to highlight a few good moms I know. And there’s not a woman among them whose kids are always perfectly dressed and eat all their vegetables.

One mom I know is great about taking time for herself. A busy working mom with the same time and budget constraints as the rest of us, she’s not immune to guilt or blessed with live-in help. She simply recognizes that she’s a better mom when she takes time for herself and so she makes it happen, whether it’s a manicure or a weekend away with girlfriends.

Another mom I know is great about letting her kids get dirty. Even if she’s just bathed them, even if they’re wearing nice clothes, she will let them jump in puddles, dig in the mud, and eat cherry Popsicles. She lets her kids be kids. As someone whose heart clenches each time my child uncaps a marker (even if it’s washable), I really admire that.

Then there’s the woman who has rejected the notion of mom as cruise director. She engages with her kids, but she does not make herself responsible for their happiness. If she wants to read a book or do some gardening, she does. It’s up to her kids to find something to do on their own. And if they complain they’re bored, she lets them be bored. But you know what? They rarely are.

Lastly, props to the mom who gave me the idea for this post, E.M. She’s a devoted stay-at-home mom to 3 who knows exactly how hard this gig is. So she makes a point of telling her friends they’re good moms. (And dads, too. She’s an equal opportunity praise-giver.) If you explain the lengths you went to to put together the perfect Halloween costume or birthday party, she says, “You’re such a good mom.” If you notice your child has a boogie and wipe it away before he snurfs it back in, she says, “You’re a good mom.”

It’s nice to hear, but I don’t always need someone to tell me. I KNOW I’m a good mom. Even though I forget to sign up my kid for soccer and count sweet potato chips as a vegetable. I love my kids to death and they know it. And I’ll bet yours do, too.

READ O’ THE WEEK: My perennial fave, Alisa Bowman of Project Happily Ever After, on “9 Ways I’m a Normal Mom and Wife.”

6 comments:

Krista @ Not Mommy of the Year said...

You are 100% right. It's so easy (and funny) to talk about all the things we do that don't earn us Mom of the Year titles, but sometimes we have to remember the reasons why we're really good at this gig, too.

Angie Mizzell said...

Kids love us unconditionally. And the truth is, we love them the exact same way. Great post. More moms need to hear

Adrienne Gomer said...

boredom breeds creativity. i let my daughter be bored at least once a day, i think it builds character ;)

Mrs.E said...

My son is only 3 months old, so I haven't experienced most of what you have, but I do get it. I live in Miami, but I am originally from Kuwait. I visited them a month back and all I heard was "why do you carry him like that", "why do you dress him like that", "why do you feed him like that"... uuurrrgggh!!! I couldnt wait to get back to the states for a break!!!

Shannon @ AnchorMommy said...

I love this post! We all need to remember that we're good at what we do. It's a tough job.

Crysi said...

sweet potato chips are SOOO a vegetable. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails