9/6/10

Know Your Audience (But Not Too Well)

A weird thing happens when you’ve been blogging for as long as I have (5+ years). You start to develop an audience. But that audience is not who you might have imagined, and if you think too much about it, it will make you crazy and you will never write another post again.

Here’s what I mean. When you first start out, it may seem like you’re writing for yourself. (Cue cricket noises.) Or maybe for a handful of friends and family, instead of sending group e-mails. Then some random people start to find your blog, but that’s OK. They’re very nice and actually leave comments, as opposed to your friends who call you up or e-mail you to tell you what they think of your latest post. (Why not just comment? Are you that shy? That’s what the “anonymous” function is for, people.)

Then maybe your husband tells a couple of his friends about it, and they read your blog from time to time hoping to get some dirt on him. So they can say things like, “Dude, your wife was TOTALLY dissing your cleaning skills in her last post!! Harsh, man!” (Note to these people: Mind your own business. I don’t need you stirring the pot. I will track down your IP address and block you. Or maybe post embarrassing pictures of you from our wedding on Facebook. Oh, yes, I will.)

Then your mom might casually mention your blog to her book club and before you know it Mrs. Henderson from down the street is checking it religiously. And that kid you used to babysit for who’s now in college. And your weird ex-coworker. And probably an ex-boyfriend or two. And one of your clients, because you forgot to change your e-mail signature one time.

And also your sister-in-law, who didn’t know about your blog until she somehow found it through Facebook, but not because you didn’t want her to know about it, but just because you felt kind of weird about her reading about her brother’s atrocious housekeeping habits so you thought it was better not to mention it, but now it’s 10 times MORE awkward because you didn’t, since now it seems like you’re trying to hide something.

So then, when you sit down to write a blog post, you’re all of a sudden thinking: “If I write that my husband is a lucky bastard for getting out of diaper duty will that make his sister mad? And if I mention a party we went to, will so-and-so ‘s feelings be hurt because they weren’t invited? And if I post pictures of just how disgusting my house is right now – because it’s so messy it’s funny and I know my fellow moms can relate – will my client be horrified and refuse to do business with me again? And do I really want my ex-boyfriends knowing about my engorged postpartum boobs?”

Now, Mrs. Henderson is probably thinking that NO ONE needs to know about my engorged postpartum boobs. But this is a mom blog, dammit! (Oops, sorry, Mom. I meant "darn it.") The whole point is that I can write about whatever I want, however I want, and not have to run it by 7 editors and an advisory board. And because it’s fun. So there.

You really can’t focus on writing to please the masses. You will end up with a generic vanilla blog that no one wants to read. Trust me. So I guess I’ll just have to stop worrying about what everyone thinks and do what I want, even if it’s posting pictures of what my kitchen looks like on a typical day:



LINK O' THE WEEK: Have you guys seen this awesome "Reflections of Motherhood" video yet? Love it.

9 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Thanks for posting this. It helps me on how and what I want to write next!

Heather Jones said...

I totally agree!!! Its weird when people you know in real life are reading your blogs....I so sometimes want to post an MIL rant, then I realize shit, she's a facebook friend, I share my blog on facebook, and wham...I've hurt her feelings...so I don't post anything.

Anyway, hope you don't mind if I share your blog post on my fanpage....of which non of my family members know about or have fanned! HEE HEE! :)

I always share posts I like with my fans. :)


Heather from Mommy Only Has Two Hands!

Anonymous said...

I agree! If you start censoring yourself it will be complete vanilla! (this coming from a girl that just posted a picture of her vibrator on the blog she knows her mother-in-law reads!)

Terry said...

Love the pic of your kitchen with kids + stuff.

In ancient times when your parents were pre-school, I was too and was the oldest of three stairstep kids with...stuff.

One day a Fuller Brush door-to-door salesman looked through the front screen door of our bungalow (ancient, remember), then backed away, saying to my Mom, "Oh, excuse me, madam! I did't realize you were moving!!"

She'd tell this no-doubt-true tale to put other women at ease about the tidiness = cleanliness nonsense.

This blog is the screen door. Good on you!

Mom2Miles said...

LOL, Neena! You are braver than I. :)

Thanks for sharing, Heather!

And Terry, I love that anecdote. Ha!

Angie Mizzell said...

I refer to the book "Your Life as Story" a lot, and there's a part that says, write like you're writing for your small group of admirers who laughs at all your jokes. So go ahead and put me in that group and keep 'em coming. :)

Kathleen@so much to say, so little time said...

Hee hee! This is awesome. The audience really does direct what can and can't be written! I used to have to ask my husband's input on a lot of things, but now I know what is & isn't acceptable to share, as far as he's concerned. ;)

Lisa said...

Love it. Awesome stream of consciousness writing, and I am sure so, so true. Writing to please, like living to please, sucks all the fun out of it, and kills the sincerity.

I am going to follow your blog. But don't worry about it. ;-)

Chryselle said...

Thank you for this post! It's so hard to be brave and write what you reall want without having to worry about the feelings of family. I've got a lot of post in 'draft' mode or just deleted once written, because I know they would probably be misunderstood should certain people read them - even if the post is in jest. Especially if in jest :)

Love your blog and admire you for keeping it real.

Related Posts with Thumbnails