2/4/11

She Said What?!

OK, so I promised I would fill you in on some of the fascinating conversations I had with people at my conference. One was with a young woman who was getting her nails done next to me one afternoon. (“Hospitality suites” and freebies are part of the perks of blog conferences.)

She told me she was newly engaged and that she was anxious about the issue of having children. Because every woman knows the next question after “When are you getting married?” is “When are you having a baby?” To which I always want to say, “Just slow the heck DOWN, people! One thing at a time!”

This woman asked me if I had any advice for her. First, I said, “How much time do you have?” Then I proceeded to talk her ear off about everything I wish I’d known before I had kids, how having a baby changes your life and your relationship, and what no one ever tells you.

Before she could flee in terror, I wrapped up my lecture with some comments about how motherhood is different for everybody and it’s the best thing I ever did and how I’ve never met anyone who regretted it. (Which is true. Nobody who admitted it, anyway.) I really hope I didn’t ruin her life.

Then there was the woman I chatted with in line who had an adorable 5-mo-old baby, her third child. She told me that she’d attended the conference last year -- when she only had 2 kids, whom she left at home with their dad. Upon her return, her husband exclaimed that he didn’t know what he’d ever do if she died. He took out a life insurance policy on her that day. LOL! How’s that for recognizing and valuing a mom’s contribution?

I also met a woman who had a fascinating answer to why she ended up living where she lives. It involved career burn-out, romance, cross-country moves, and a plane crash. How’s THAT for interesting conversation?

These days, most of my conversations with people start like this: “So, how old is your baby?” and then move along to “Is he sleeping through the night?” and “Where’s your son in preschool?” Snooze…. Fest. It sure was nice to mix things up for a while.

What’s the most interesting conversation you’ve had lately?

6 comments:

Angie said...

My writing partner is a successful business woman, self-employed, just a few years older than me, and married without children. Her blog is very popular and is called The Accidental Cootchie Mama, if that tells you anything. :)

K. Elizabeth @ YUMMommy said...

Hmmm...the most interesting conversation I've had recently was about how breastfeeding affected my sex life with my husband. It was totally random and I surprised myself by being open enough to discuss it.

Lisa said...

Interesting post. So nice to be able to chat with people who like to share, and I am sure that it what you mostly find at a blog conference.

My best conversations lately have all been on facebook chat. When you have to think of what you say before you type it, and it is easy to leave a conversation with a quick AFK, BRB or TTYL, people seem to have an easier time going beyond the surface, and sharing what they think. Less risk, I think.

Shannon @ AnchorMommy said...

Wow! Now those are conversations. I find that some of the best conversations I've had are on the chairlift at the ski hill. But, with two small children, I rarely ski anymore. (Can you tell I just spent the weekend standing at the bottom of the bunny hill with my baby girl while watching my husband and son snowplow their way down, over and over and over again? Ski days ain't what they used to be.)

I did, however, talk to my sister-in-law about the shard of glass she just had removed from her hand after 5 years. It got stuck in there when she reached down toward the floorboard of her car after her windshield was replaced! Yikes!

Loukia said...

Gosh... most interesting conversation? It always involves talking about my children! :)

It's Not Like a Cat said...

Thanks for the reminder that interesting conversations still EXIST out there. ;) I won't lose hope. Right now we've moved from the hot topic of potty-training and toddler beds to The Dreaded Local Preschool Search (or Scam). I need to return to my (mostly non-mom) book club!

Related Posts with Thumbnails