2/2/11

Don't Tell Me, It's Another Snow Day

The snow days. They’re killing me. I know from the news I’m not alone. After last year’s Snowmageddon, I thought maybe we were in for an easier winter this year. Not so much.

The funny thing is my 4yo is in morning preschool and the baby’s not even IN school yet. So it’s not like I’m used to having entire days to myself. But I have gotten used to the rhythm of our regular schedule. Some days all it takes to retain my sanity is an hour at the gym or a pleasant afternoon playdate. Then it snows and it’s all shot to hell.

At first, snow days are a novelty. A fun little freebie in the middle of a workweek. Snowmen and hot chocolate. Sledding and watching movies. But then, after the next one and the next and the next? They get old fast.

I don’t know about you, but I struggle to get through the days when we’re all stuck at home. It’s too cold/icy/dangerous to go outside, playdates and activities are cancelled, and you’ve given up any hope of trying to get anything done with the kids around.

Those are the days I let the kids watch one more show on Nick Jr., I drink one more cup of coffee, and I beg my husband to come home from work early. Those days I look at the clock and think, “Really?! It’s only 10:30a.m? What NOW?”

We might do a craft project that takes up 22 whole minutes and ends in tears when I wrestle the markers away from my 23mo and take away my 4yo’s scissor privileges when he brandishes them at his brother. We read story after story until I can’t take the elbows to the gut anymore as they jockey for position on my lap. We go from one boy’s room to the other, from the family room to the basement, just for a change of scenery. Everyone gets on each other’s nerves.

There’s no sense bundling everyone up and risking the icy roads just for the sake of going somewhere, so even our usual standbys like going to Target or the gym or the library are out.

The only things I’ve found that help pass the time and maintain mental health on days like this are:

- Cooking or baking, which lends itself to little helpers and yields an edible result.

- Music, which can spur an impromptu dance party or karaoke session, and takes my mind off the clock.

- Magazines, which I can flip through while being constantly distracted, and I don’t get upset when someone tears out a picture of a dog or a toy. (FYI, Riley calls the models in magazines “pretty dollies.” I find this both adorable and slightly disturbing at the same time.)

So, dear readers, please share: how do you keep YOUR sanity during long, cold, school-less winter days at home?

9 comments:

Kathleen@so much to say said...

I LOATHE snow days. Two and counting, and we can't even go outside because the 17 inches on the ground are almost as tall as my littlest child!

We've made valentines, and we're shampooing carpets. At least we can be productive.

I so empathize with the well-intentioned but doomed craft project! LOL

Mom2Miles said...

Shampooing carpets? Wow, you ARE going stir-crazy! ;)

Hallie Sawyer said...

I can totally relate! We are going on day #3 tomorrow. I have two in elementary school and one in preschool so I have resorted to impromptu homework, extra reading time, and movies as the reward. They love movies. Movies and popcorn. Movies, popcorn, and m&m's. Uhh, gotta go! I think it is my turn now.:)

The Pinterest Professional said...

Both hubby and myself worked from home the last two days (w/ two boys ages 3 and 11 months). And the first day, our satellite cable was not working - but luckily our dvr'd cartoon episodes were (or not so lucky, depending on how you look at it).

I've had many hours of: playdoh, painting, reading books (the same 3 over and over and over), watching cartoons, and like you said, trying to flip through a magazine from time to time.

TOday, I got in a much needed jog on the treadmill - and that helped my sanity :)

Melissa {adventuroo} said...

I must say that I WISH I had ideas but I'm just as clueless. I get all in a tizzy when my day gets whacked. Little Roo can't walk yet so it's tough when it does snow-- big brother wants to be out and all I can do is hold the little guy!

tineroche said...

There is no more sanity left in our house. I'm going to go absolutely postal if there is one more snow day. It wasn't a snow day today but the whole family has been sick so I couldn't go to work today either. Another day at home with 2 sick kids and nowhere to go and nothing to do because I just don't have the energy or nerves. I'm done with snow, I'm done with winter, if I don't get a break soon I might just run away!

Angie Mizzell said...

We're having one of those days... but it's a sick day for my 4-year-old. All the wandering around makes for a somewhat depressing day. I have things to do, but I find it tough to organize when the routine is shot.

SpontaneousMom said...

We haven't had a snow day yet- but they are predicting snow tonight and tomorrow! At least it's on a Friday and makes for a long weekend for us- yay!

Etta said...

We do all of the aforementioned. But, we always break out the Wii on snow days and get some serious energy out. We also bring the small bball hoop inside, as well as bringing in the bike and let them do laps around the kitchen island.

Related Posts with Thumbnails