2/20/11

Scary Stuff

One day last week I took Riley to the grocery store. I try to avoid ever going with my kids -- even shopping at 9pm is preferably to dealing with candy-aisle double meltdowns. But Miles was at school and we were out of milk and bananas.

Things actually went quite well… until we passed the seafood counter. See, they have a lobster tank. A dozen or more unlucky crustaceans with thick rubber bands around their claws scuttle around until someone decides they’re dinner. Riley has seen the lobsters before. In fact, I thought they might be a fun attraction on the way to the frozen peas.

Wrong. As soon as our cart approached the tank, Riley began to freak out. And by freak out, I mean he reacted like someone having boiling oil poured down their pants. “NOOO!!! NO LOBSTAH, MAMA!!! NOOOOOO!!” he screamed while trying to scramble out of the shopping cart.

Is it wrong that my first reaction was to laugh? I’m sorry, but his response was so out-of-the-blue and over-the-top that it was comical. But I stifled my laughter and attempted to soothe my traumatized toddler. He continued talking about the lobsters for days, adding “no like” and “scawy.” Scary, indeed.

The ironic thing is, this kid has absolutely no fear of things he SHOULD be afraid of. For example: a few days after the lobster incident I took both kids to the gym with me. On the way back to the car, I was carrying Riley in one arm while I held Miles’ hand with the other arm, which also had 2 bags slung over it. I should mention that my arms were already sore from working out and that my toddler weighs approximately as much as a minivan.

I had to put Riley down for a second to open the door for Miles. In that split second, he sprinted away from the car -- into the depths of the parking garage without a single glance at his surroundings. Maybe 2 ½ seconds elapsed before I chased him down and grabbed his collar. And blessedly, no cars were driving past at the time. But the really scary part was that he showed absolutely no fear or remorse. Not at the stricken look on my face, not when I firmly shoved him into his car seat, not when I stuck my finger in his face and shouted, “No! You don’t EVER run away from Mommy!” In fact, he laughed.

For some reason -– perhaps because I was exhausted after 3 days of solo parenting while my husband was away on a business trip -– this episode triggered a mini breakdown. After I put the kids down for their naps/quiet time I started to freak out about what could have happened. What if there was a giant SUV hurtling around the corner, as there often is? What if the driver didn’t see Riley? What if I hadn’t been able to grab him in time?

Scary.

HEAD INJURY O’ THE WEEK DAY: Yesterday Riley got a bad gash on his forehead when a decorative birdfeeder fell on his head. I’m not even kidding. It will be a freaking MIRACLE if we both survive his childhood.

8 comments:

Kari said...

I'm a new mom myself of an 8 month old boy and I stumbled on your blog and I absolutely love it by the way!! I hate those what if's!! Just keep in mind that you're a great mom, and there are kids out there with moms that could care less (ever watch Teen Mom on MTV??). I just wanted to say thanks for sharing. You're helping new moms like me with your stories!

By the way, in Riley's defense, I think those lobster's are scary too!

Kari

Kari said...

I'm a new mom myself of an 8 month old boy and I stumbled on your blog and I absolutely love it by the way!! I hate those what if's!! Just keep in mind that you're a great mom, and there are kids out there with moms that could care less (ever watch Teen Mom on MTV??). I just wanted to say thanks for sharing. You're helping new moms like me with your stories!

By the way, in Riley's defense, I think those lobster's are scary too!

Kari

Anonymous said...

I've got the parking lot fear, too.

Mom2Miles said...

Kari, thanks for your comments! Glad you found my blog. Check out my archives from when my kids were 8mos. LOTS of material... I never thought about watching Teen Mom to make me feel better about myself, LOL!

Kathleen@so much to say said...

Hilarious! I sometimes echo that last sentiment...

You're never safe from irrational panic. A few weeks ago, we were crossing the Missouri River, which is a big sucker where I live, and I had this absolutely uncanny vivid image of our car going over the edge, and I realized no matter how I spun it, I would have to choose which child I would TRY to save. Try, knowing that I probably couldn't even save myself. Try THAT one on for "scary"! I couldn't sleep for three days.

Angie Mizzell said...

With posts like these, the first thing I do is scroll down to see the picture of Riley. His face always captures the moment.:)And the shirt is too much!

I had an incident like that the other day. I was at a red light, and my light turned green. Luckily, I looked before I drove head, because a truck, realizing he was about to run his red light, was slamming on the brakes and skidding towards the side of my car. If he hadn't stopped, and if I hadn't looked first, he would have crashed into the driver side of my car, with Blake in the back (also on my side). I said a prayer of thanks that I was not in a hurry, like I usually am, and was paying attention.

Shannon @ AnchorMommy said...

Ha! See, I would have laughed at the lobster reaction too. That's really funny! But sad too....poor Riley.

I have that fear about parking lots too! My boy goes to preschool at the YMCA, which has very little parking, so it's always packed with cars and others are always roaming around looking for spots. My boy has been good about staying close and not bolting, but I'm afraid of the day my little girl will be walking and I'm trying to wrangle both of them!! Scary!

Joyseelun said...

oh man..that's what i'm afraid of when DD starts to walk....she just started to crawl now...

Related Posts with Thumbnails