2/16/11

Parenting Advice that Actually Works

I’ve had the idea for this post for a long time. But I only have 2 tips, and as I know from my background in magazines, you need at least 3 examples to make a trend.

Also, people are more likely to read an odd-numbered list. It’s true! Statistics show that most people will read “5 Ways to Drop the Weight” over “10 Tips for Slimming Down by Summer.” Don’t say I never taught you anything. :)

Speaking of magazines, are there certain ones that feel like homework to you? I hate to admit it, since some of my friends write for them, but there are certain parenting magazines that, even though I subscribe, I don’t enjoy actually READING because they’re full of expert advice about what I should be doing, could be doing, and definitely should NOT be doing with my kids. By the time I close the magazine I feel exhausted, guilty, and a failure as a mom and a human being. (Read “7 Ways to Celebrate Earth Day” and tell me you don’t feel the same!!)

But darned if those magazines aren’t right sometimes. I used to openly sneer at the articles about making your kids smiley-face sandwiches and cutesy snacks in the shape of animals. Those are for annoyingly perfect stay-at-home moms with too much time on their hands! I’d think sneer. I can’t be bothered to cut toast into hearts and stars. I’ve got laundry to do! Essays to critique! Paint to watch dry!

Then I had my second child, a kid so averse to vegetables that he would hunt down and pick out a stray carrot shred that I’d tried to sneak into his applesauce. While his big brother would gobble down an entire bowl of steamed broccoli, this baby would squeal like a stuck pig when you tried to fork anything green towards his face.

Then one night Miles was playing with his food. He said, “I’m a dinosaur and I’m going to eat these tiny trees!” Then he’d chomp a piece of broccoli. Riley saw this and immediately began yelling, “Tees too! Tees toos!” So we gave him some broccoli “trees” and to my astonishment, HE ATE THEM. It wasn’t a fluke, either. He’s eaten broccoli several times since. So there you have it, parenting tip #1: Let kids play with their food. Or, Presentation counts.

Tip #2 is far easier: To get kids to listen, talk about them to someone else. Here’s an example: In the mornings, I often ask my 4yo to go upstairs after breakfast and get himself dressed. “Miles, go on up and grab some clothes.” “Miles, it’s time to get dressed now.” “Miles! I asked you to please go get dressed for school!” “MILES!! If you don’t go GET DRESSED RIGHT NOW we will be LATE and you will NOT get to play with your friends at school EVER AGAIN!!”

As an experiment, I decided to see if these parenting mags knew what they were talking about. So I said to my other son, “Riley, I guess Miles doesn’t want to go to school today. I asked him to get dressed 3 times now and he’s not, so I guess he won’t get to play with his friends. And too bad he’ll miss snack time.” Guess what happened? Miles sprang into action. He immediately sprinted upstairs, threw on his clothes and was waiting at the door with his backpack within minutes. Well, how about that?

So there you have it, 2 tried-and-true, expert-approved parenting tips that actually work. Just don’t try to convince me that I should be composting with my toddler, OK?

5 comments:

Name: Holly Bowne said...

Ha, ha! That was hilarious! I'm gonna try it with my 16-year-old. Of course, since his sibling is now at college, I'll have to use the dog:

"Oreo, I guess Josh doesn't want to have any clean clothes to wear to school. I'm sure he'll smell awful and nobody will want to sit next to him and he'll have to eat lunch all alone."

Awww rats! He didn't even hear my performance. He's got his iPod earbuds on! ;o)

Maryann's Mama Tales said...

Great post! I'm a newly formed SAHM (since July) and I couldn't get my toddler to get anything but rice, pasta and bread. So I went for the disguise and cover. In other words I minced those sucker until they blended in with rice and added a few drops of Maggi. Low and behold, she'll eat it. Not sure what I'll do when she figures it out. :)

Ali said...

I don't like lists of DOs and DON'Ts either, but fun "tips" are always great and helpful. Thanks for yours.

RE: "a kid so averse to vegetables that he would hunt down and pick out a stray carrot shred that I’d tried to sneak into his applesauce."

Is it bad that I'm still like that? I pick out ALL the carrots, peas, and celary from chicken soups and Chinese fried rice.

Maybe I need to start playing with my food.

Mom2Miles said...

Holly, I laughed thinking of you talking to the dog! Maybe you can send your teen a text "by mistake" that mentions his slovenly habits.

MamTales, what is Maggi?? It sounds like something my carboholic toddler needs!

Ali, if you're a full-grown adult who doesn't have scurvy, I guess it's OK. But as a mom I'd say, eat your veggies!

Shannon @ AnchorMommy said...

I love this! That part about you yelling at Miles to get dressed? That is EXACTLY what I sound like in the morning. On the rare mornings that I wake up in a good mood, I'll remember to challenge my son to a "getting dressed race", but sadly, I'm usually too sleepy and foggy-headed to think that clearly. So I usually revert to the default: threats/nagging.

Excellent tips! You're a genius!

Related Posts with Thumbnails