2/27/11

Happy Birthday to My Baby!

Dear Riley,

Today you are 2! Happy birthday, buddy! You’ve gotten to be such a big boy in the past few months, I can hardly believe it. You finally grew enough hair to get your first real haircut, and you sat in that barber chair like an old pro. Of course, the lollipop helped.

You talk ALL the time now, and we can even understand most of what you say. You must have excellent hearing, because you ask me about 10 times a day, “What noise, Mama?” It could be a leaf-blower, the blender, the smoke alarm, or someone crumpling a bag of chips a block away.

Which reminds me: you also have an uncanny sense for detecting food or drink. Even if you’re in the other room playing with your trains or trucks, you can hear me opening the fridge and pouring myself a glass of orange juice, or trying to sneak a cookie from the cabinet, and you will come running in demanding a bite or a sip.

This morning you were up at your usual 5:30 am, when you yell from your crib for Mommy or Daddy. Sometimes you switch off if one of us doesn’t respond fast enough. You’re not ready to get up then -– who IS at that hour?! -– you just want company. Or, you prefer the coziness of a queen-size down comforter. If we’re lucky, we can all get another hour of sleep. If we’re not, you pinch and kick us until we wake up and take you downstairs.

Daddy made you blueberry “pampakes” this morning, your favorite. Then you and Miles watched “Mee Mouse.” You know all the words to the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse theme song and love to “shake a booty” to the Hot Dog Dance.

Everyone who meets you says you’re Mr. Personality. You can be shy at first, but it doesn’t take you long to warm up and start running around like you own the place, wherever we are. Your babysitter calls you “energetic,” and you certainly are. Although I might use a different word to describe your spirited antics, which include climbing up on the toilet to reach the bathroom sink so you can turn on the faucet full blast and brush your teeth, which really means “flood the bathroom.”

Speaking of the bathroom, you have already gone pee in the potty twice! I refuse to get my hopes up too much, though, lest you follow in your brother’s very, VERY sluggish footsteps when it comes to potty training.

Your brother is your favorite person in the world, besides Mommy and Daddy. The minute you wake up from your nap you ask where Miles is. You love to wrestle with each other, tease the dog, and make each other laugh with silly knock-knock jokes or by blowing bubbles in your milk. Of course, sometimes you scream and hit and are mean to each other, too. Yesterday, you both left teeth marks on each other’s back. Ouch!

But mostly, you are a sweet, lovable, smart, funny little guy. We’ve only known you for 24 mos, but we can’t imagine our family or our lives without you.

Love, Mommy

PIC O’ THE WEEK: The Thomas cake was a family affair. I baked and decorated it, C. was the design consultant and custom-icing-color creator, and Miles presided over everything, offering his 2 cents and asking to lick the spoon.

8 comments:

Kelli @ writing the waves said...

Happy Birthday, Riley! Awesome job on the Thomas cake! I bet he loved it. :)

Anonymous said...

You BAKE cakes too???

Happy 2nd big brother anniversary to Miles. May he continue to be adored by his lifelong sidekick, Riley!

Angie Mizzell said...

Really? You and hubs made that cake? Awesome!

Happy Birthday, Riley. I love the stories your mom tells about you. I feel like I know you. But be glad I'm far away, because if you were close I'd be tempted to pinch your cheeks.

Mom2Miles said...

Thanks, all!! Yes, RS, I am multi-talented. Like someone else I know. I can't sing, though. ;)

Mrs.E said...

ooooooh that is so sweet!! I can hardly wait for my little one to be two :D God bless yor lovely boys :)

Loukia said...

Hey, happy 2nd birthday to your beautiful little boy! :) Aww, they grow so fast, don't they?

Joyseelun said...

happy belated birthday to your precious boy!!!

Sarah said...

Sorry I'm running late but happy birthday Riley! I'm freaking impressed by the cake. I didn't even attempt to make Graham's birthday cake. Yours turned out great.

Related Posts with Thumbnails