7/29/10

Reading Round-Up

Wow, it’s been AGES since I did one of these, hasn’t it? But thanks to my newfound love of the library, I’ve actually been reading quite a bit lately. Turns out I DO have the time if I don’t cook, ignore my children, and stay off the computer. Who knew?

Seriously, though, one day when the baby was napping I told Miles he didn’t have to go to his room for quiet time if he entertained himself while I read. And he did! For a good 90 min. almost.

There really is no rhyme or reason to my reading selections. For instance, I read the July 19 Time magazine cover story, “The Only-Child Myth,” at the gym, even though I am not an only child and blew my chance to have an only child about 26 mos. ago. (That’s 17 mos. plus 9 mos., right?)

It was actually a fascinating article. It turns out that only children really aren’t socially stunted and selfish. (Seriously. The author cites an early study that claimed just that.) In fact, they’re better off because they get more of their parents’ attention and resources. Oh, well, too late for us! Sorry, Riley, there’s always community college. Moving on...

In that same issue, there’s a funny essay by Joel Stein about his trip to a spa with his mother.

At the library, I picked out two books in my usual fashion. First, I trolled the new releases, zeroing in on the biography and memoir sections. Then, I wandered down the aisles where the books on writing are shelved.

I came away with Cathy Alter’s Up for Renewal: What Magazines Taught Me About Love, Sex, and Starting Over. This 30-something, newly divorced freelance writer decides to make over her life by following the advice of women’s magazines for a year. (Note to writers: I’m convinced that anybody who commits to do anything for a year gets a book deal out of it.)

It’s an entertaining read, though I couldn’t help but wonder how Alter got away with being so candid about her friends and family without alienating everyone she knows. She’s a gutsier writer than I, that’s for sure. Anyway, anyone who loves magazines should check out this book.

If that memoir was like candy, then this was like a 5-course gourmet meal: Slow Love: How I Lost My Job, Put On My Pajamas & Found Happiness by Dominique Browning. The (50-something?) author loses her job as editor-in-chief of House & Garden (again with the magazines!), breaks up with her on-again, off-again beau, and has to put the pieces of her life back together.

With an empty nest and too much time on her hands (basically, the polar opposite of my own life), Browning rediscovers what’s important to her in elegantly written, thoughtful prose. I picked up this book after reading an excerpt in O magazine.

Well, that’s it, folks. Unless you want to read a synopsis of Carrie Underwood’s dream wedding, per People magazine. Or how Entertainment Weekly dubbed Lady Gaga’s costumes at a recent concert “Kinetic Snowflake” and “Vinyl Wonton.” Ha!

Now I’ve got to run. All this reading has put a serious damper on my Twitter time.

3 comments:

Melinda Leigh said...

I picked up the only child article, too. I'm a third generation only and considering the 4th (totally on the fence). I highly reccomend being an only to anyone considering creating their own!

angie mizzell said...

That's how I get my reading done, too! :) Good to hear the latest research on only children, since I am one. I'm so relieved research shows I'm not socially stunted and selfish! Slow Love sounds like a book I can appreciate. Thanks for the roundup. Have a great weekend.

Shannon @ AnchorMommy said...

Oooh, those sound good! I love magazines and I love "I reevaluated my life, and here's what I discovered" stories. I'll put these on my "to read" (someday) list! Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails