7/25/10

Jealous of WHO?!

Someone out there is jealous of you. Believe me, it’s true. I’m not saying that’s a good thing or a bad thing, I’m just stating a fact. Because even though we all know we should count our blessings and be grateful for what we have and not compare ourselves to other people, blah, blah, blah… it’s so much easier said than done. Sometimes you need the jolt of seeing yourself through someone else’s eyes to really get it.

This happened to me recently. I was talking with an acquaintance. She’s a high-powered executive of some sort, and has kids the same age as mine. She mentioned that her family was just back from vacation. When she’d asked her son what the best part of the week was he’d said, “Having you around all the time.”

“Awww,” I instinctively replied, thinking nothing of it besides that it was a sweet comment. So it took me a moment to realize this other mom was worried about whether being away from her kids so much for work was negatively impacting them. I believe, for a moment at least, she was actually envious of me. ME?!

Look, I have a great life. I wouldn’t trade it for the world. But it’s not all unicorns and rainbows, either. For instance, it might be nice if we had the means to tackle home repairs immediately instead of waiting until the washing machine bursts a hose, spraying my visiting mom in the face as she’s helping with the laundry. (Sorry, Mom!)

Or if we had some more help in general so that I didn’t have to decide between writing, showering, or going to the post office during my rare child-free hours.

Looking at this other mom with her Blackberry and her laptop and her nanny, she doesn’t look like the type to let important things slide or fly by the seat of her tailored pants. It never occurred to me for a second that she might look at me as some sort of role model or great example of motherhood.

ME, in my wrinkled cargo pants and flip-flops! ME, nuking chicken nuggets and frozen peas for dinner night after night! (I wish I could say it’s because our oven is still broken but the sad truth is, I’ve barely noticed.)

Somehow, this exchange opened my eyes to something I knew intellectually, but never believed in reality: that other people would love to step into my flip-flops and be able to microwave peas for their children every day. It’s kind of like when you were in junior high and your mom told you that the boys were picking on you because they liked you. You wanted to believe it, but you couldn’t quite accept it as true.

Well, believe me – it’s true. That husband who second-guesses your diapering technique and insists on picking out the baby’s outfits? Is someone else’s involved dad. That overbearing mother-in-law? Is someone else’s free babysitter in shining armor. That flexible work schedule that complicates childcare arrangements? Is someone else’s dream job.

I’m not trying to heap another serving of guilt onto your plate. I’m just giving you some food for thought. Somewhere out there, there’s a mom who has no idea I’m insanely jealous of her because her baby’s NOT walking yet.

READ O’ THE WEEK: Gwyneth Paltrow addresses postpartum depression in her oddly named blog, GOOP. Actress Bryce Dallas Howard’s account of her struggle with PPD is especially moving.

9 comments:

Kelli @ writing the waves said...

I'll take the flip flops and wrinkled cargo pants over the blackberry any day. Great post. Thanks for the reminder.

K. Elizabeth @ YUMMommy said...

This is so true. I think a little bit of jealousy is good and can serve as motivation.

Mrs.E said...

Eye opener!!!
I had a huge fight with my husband yesterday (and still) because I wasn't seeing enough of him, and was depressed when he made plans with our friends when I was hoping we could spend time alone together. The fight started out small, but then I began feeling sorry for myself which lead to a bigger fight that still hasn't ended!!! I am lucky to be living in Miami, a place where people pay to go to for vacation. My husband is a hard working, loyal and kind doctor doing his residency in a great hospital. I have a beautiful baby boy whom I love immensely, and I have an amazing mother-in-law who flied for 15 hours from Kuwai, and stayed for 45 days just to help me out with the baby....
I should be very, very, very thankful.
Thank you for helping me see that.

Mom2Miles said...

Mrs.Ebrahim, I was just thinking about you recently & wondering whether you'd had your baby! Congrats!! It sure is a big adjustment, huh, but I'm sure you're doing great. :)

angie said...

Great post. I have a bad habit of sharing my "problems" with friends, and it never occurs to me that they might be jealous of me, but I too, am like, Me? Why? The other day I was reading a spiritual book called "The Game of Life" and it was talking about the power of words. I'm all about being "real" but I'm trying to tone down negative words...

Shannon @ AnchorMommy said...

Yes, this is such a great reminder!

It's funny...I've been doing the stay-at-home mom thing for a year and a couple of months (where does the time go?!?!) and I would have been SO jealous of myself back during my working days. But lately it's like every day is a struggle and I've been feeling sorry for myself, which really, makes my 3 year old's behavior worse. I think it's all a matter of perspective (and a matter of finally having this overdue baby, but that's a whole other matter entirely). I need to remember that I am actually doing what I CHOSE to do. And really, my family and myself are in a better place for it. In fact, I just read another little something today that is helping me a lot: "The days are long, but the years are short."

Thanks for helping get me get back on track. :-)

talk to me I'm your mother said...

Man, does this take me back. I was a stay-at-home Mom back in the early days of feminism. I always felt I had to struggle to seem intelligent...and to prove that I WANTED to be with my kids. I'm not sure anyone was jealous, tho. Enjoy!

Madelyn said...

I think it's common to always think the grass is greener on the other side. There's one particular mom who I was extremely jealous of because she seemed to always be taking vacations with her kids (to Disney, the beach, camping, etc.). Then my husband pointed out that her husband was never in any pictures...because he has to work so much to support all of their going. My jealousy ended - I'd rather have our family together with a little less.

Heather Escobar said...

Good reminder - thank you! And I second what Kelli said!!!

-Heather (@astitchintime09)

Related Posts with Thumbnails