7/22/10

Ramona Made a Reader Out of Me

Anyone have a tween girl I can borrow? I’m dying to see “Ramona and Beezus.” Oh, trust me, I WILL see it, tween or no tween. As a kid, my love of Beverly Cleary’s Ramona was rivaled only by my affection for Lois Lowry’s Anastasia Krupnik.

The following anecdote will either a) reveal what a geek I was as a kid, or b) prove that I was destined to be a writer when I grew up.

One night I was reading in bed when I came across a particular passage. I honestly don’t remember whether it was a Ramona book or an Anastasia book, though I’d bet on the latter.

Anyway, this passage was describing the hapless protagonist’s humiliating turn at being forced to shimmy up a rope in gym class. She inevitably lost her grip, and plummeted to the floor in front of all her classmates.

Something about that word “plummet” sent me into gales of laughter. In fact, as my mother tells it, I laughed so hard I fell out of bed. So, writers? If you’ve ever doubted the power of word choice, let this be a lesson to you.

This past year my son’s preschool class made little booklets about themselves. They listed their likes and dislikes, favorite activities, foods, etc. Under “Favorite thing to do with Mommy” Miles listed “read books.” I’m not gonna lie, people. I teared up. Especially because that’s MY favorite thing to do with my kids.

Miles has loved books from Day 1 and is the type of kid who will read anything in front of him, including a cereal box. Now, I’ll admit I don’t always love his choice of reading material, like the mind-numbing “Cars” books based on the animated motion picture, or the encyclopedia of sharks. (Which is clearly not intended for 4y.o.’s since it includes detailed instructions on what to do if you are ever attacked by a shark. The gist: punch it in the nose and swim like hell.)

But we both love reading all the Dr. Seuss books (although we agree the guy could NOT draw horses) and Jane Yolen’s dinosaur books and David Shannon’s books.

Then there’s Riley. I know he’s only 16 mos. old, but I genuinely feared he was destined for a life of crime and illiteracy since he showed zero interest in books for much of his life. Then, all of a sudden, things changed, and now he climbs up on the couch next to his brother with his own book every time he sees Miles reading. And he does the backwards butt-scoot into my lap when he wants me to read to him.

My second-born is WAY pickier when it comes to reading material, however. He’s stuck on the same 6 or so board books, including a stupid one about a cow that came from the $1 section of Target and a non-age-appropriate book about tractors that’s of questionable literary value.

But what do I care? I’m just thrilled that my children are readers. (Even though I know that can change at some point.) It’s even inspired me to rediscover my OWN love of reading, which has withered up and died tapered off since I had a second baby.

I had stopped going to the library because the overdue fees were starting to cut into my kids’ college funds. I simply could not finish a book or manage to return them on time. But I’m giving it another go. Although, wouldn’t you know, I’m overly ambitious right out of the gate and am currently reading 3 books at the same time. I’m taking full advantage of the library’s online renewal policy.

Just think: with all the late fees I save, I can buy a movie ticket to see “Ramona and Beezus”! Who’s with me?

6 comments:

Shannon @ AnchorMommy said...

Awww! That must melt your heart to see your boys cuddled up and reading together. I can just picture it.

I'm not much of a reader these days either, but I need to be. My boy asked me at the library last week whether I was going to get a book, and I didn't have a good answer as to why not. (Although I do have good reasons, I think. New baby coming, didn't want to walk up the library stairs, no idea what to choose, which would leave Kellan bouncing off the bookcases until I just grabbed something...)

But I'm with you – I am so proud that my boy loves books as much as he does, and I'll do anything and everything to continue to support his affinity for reading. Even if it means I have to just grab something off the shelf once in a while!

HarmSkills said...

I soooo want to see this movie! I love Ramona!

do you remember the short lived Ramona series I think it was on PBS with Sarah Polley?

Kelli @ writing the waves said...

Ramona made a reader out of me too. I've been reading Ramona the Pest with Abby - it makes us laugh out loud. Such clever writing - love that Beverly Cleary. I'm really interested to see the movie & the modern spin they've put on this book. The reviews have been good - so I'm hopeful.

We love the Dinosaur books and David Shannon too. Gotta love reading with the kiddos. :)

angie mizzell said...

I'm in! But did you ever picture Beezus as Selena Gomez? I currently have three books going too. I have a bad habit of buying a new one before I'm finished with the others. I should have stock in Barnes and Noble. One of my favorite memories as a child was sitting on the floor of The Book Bag, thumbing through Judy Blume books while my grandmother shopped for groceries next door (safe? probably not). I always convinced her to buy me a book. My mom read to me and I love reading to my kids. Great post... so many memories!

Kimberly said...

Anastasia was the one who couldn't climb a rope. At the end of the book, when she finally did it, she opened her arms up and shouted something, I think Shakespeare, and that's when she plummeted to the ground, yielding a concussion. :-) I loved Anastasia, too.

Sinclair said...

We go to the library every week now, and I always get too many books. We keep them in a specific spot in the house so we don't lose them (learned from experience on that one!).

We have just finished reading Henry and Beezus and Ribsy aloud, so my daughter would be happy to see the Ramona movie, but I am afraid the movie will ruin my fondly remembered Beverly Cleary days. I'm just not sure there is a perfect Ramona in the world that will make it work in live action...

Related Posts with Thumbnails