2/14/10

Valentine's Day...with Diapers

My Valentine’s weekend was jam-packed, people! I saw “Valentine’s Day,” had a romantic dinner cooked for me by my sweetie, made heart-shaped pancakes for the boys, and met my BRAND-NEW nephew. How’s that for excitement? I guess I was due for some after my week of snow-induced isolation.

First, the movie: cute, sweet, funny, and not nearly enough screen time for most of the A-list hotties that star in it. Ashton Kutcher was surprisingly appealing as a love-struck florist. My favorite scene was probably Jennifer Garner beating the crap out of a piñata after her romance goes sour. Also, there are some cute kids in the movie, always a plus.

Next, the dinner: red gerber daisies, candlelight, macadamia and coconut-crusted Chilean sea bass with a delicate orange cream sauce. Of course, the romance factor was slightly dampened by the fact that I had to jump up in the middle of the salad course to go assist a small person in the bathroom when he should have been in bed. But that’s my life.

Then, the baby: My SIL called me one day last week to ask whether I thought she was in labor. I am the WRONG person to ask; I wasn’t even sure when it was ME who was in labor -- either time! Thank goodness I suggested she might want to go to the hospital for peace of mind because a few hours later, she was giving birth!! Baby Nicholas weighed in at 9 lbs even though he was 10 days early. If you saw my tiny SIL, this would be all the more impressive.

Even so, he looked TINY to me when I saw him in the hospital. I’m used to my own 2 little bruisers at home. I had forgotten how quiet newborns can be. He snoozed the whole time I was there, never making a peep. Maybe, like Riley, he’s saving his lungs for the blood-curdling screams he plans to unleash once they take him home. But for my brother and SIL’s sake, I hope not. They deserve a chill baby after the rough pregnancy she endured.

I did have to laugh when I said to my 3 y.o. niece, “You’re a BIG SISTER now, Chloe! Are you excited?” She considered this a moment before replying, “I had chocolate for breakfast!” Then rushed off to show me her Valentine’s loot. New baby brother? Eh. Candy and glittery cards? All RIGHT!

Just goes to show, people have different priorities. Once upon a time, mine might have been romantic moments alone with my honey. Now, I’m happy to share Valentine’s Day with my friends, family, and people in diapers. After all, those are some of the people I love the most.

PIC O' THE WEEK: My Valentines

5 comments:

Amber Page Writes said...

That sounds like a fabulous Valentine's weekend to me! Congrats, Auntie!

leila said...

Congrats on your newest family member! I've discovered that I love little babies so much, I ask complete strangers if I can hold their newborns and infants. And the let me! Next to my 30-pound one-year-old, they're just like sweet little alien dolls. I mean it's like, how can something so tiny and so helpless be human?

Also, your boys look just like your man!

Anonymous said...

diaryofanewmom.blogspot.com; You saved my day again.

Shannon @ AnchorMommy said...

What a great weekend! Congratulations on the new baby in the family! And can I just say I'm jealous of your red gerber daisies? I LOVE those flowers. And every year, I secretly hope for some, or any kind of flowers, even though my brain tells me that it's pointless to buy them because they just die. But they are such a lovely indulgence, aren't they?

Kelli @ writing the waves said...

Love that picture. Too cute. Sounds like an awesome weekend. Congrats on your new little nephew!

Related Posts with Thumbnails