2/22/10

The 5 Stages of a Family Roadtrip

You know how you feel the morning after a wild night of partying? (Think waaaay back, now.) You can’t believe how stupid you were to drink that much and stay out that late and boy, are you paying for it with a hangover from hell. You swear you will never again do something so foolish.

Well, I feel the same way after each trip to visit my extended family.


C. and I live 6 states away from our parents. The 7-hour drive has never been a picnic, but add 2 kids and an extra half-dozen stops along the way and it becomes a NIGHTMARE. Literally. The night before we leave I toss and turn dreaming of all the horrible accidents and traffic jams and germy rest stops and screaming meltdowns the trip might bring.

In fact, we’ve only attempted it one other time since Riley was born. But my FIL is turning 70 and, well, that seemed like a good enough reason to try it again. During the long, long, LONG drive, I had time to reflect on the 5 stages of a family roadtrip:

1) Anticipation. It will be good to see everyone. They won’t believe how much the kids have grown. And Riley HAS become a much better baby the older he’s gotten. He doesn’t scream or throw up nearly as often. Plus, Miles is SO looking forward to seeing his grandparents and cousins. Maybe the trip won’t be so bad.

2) Excitement. Off we go! The car is packed with snacks, drinks, toys, music, and plenty of DVDs for the portable player. The kids are in good moods, everyone’s healthy and moderately well-rested, and the sun is shining. This is actually kind of fun.

3) Irritation. The sun glare is unbearable. The brakes are making a weird crunching noise. And if I have to listen to another one of my husband’s skull-jarring rock bands or insipid kids’ CDs I will SCREAM. Wait? What? A 5-mile backup due to construction?! Are you freaking KIDDING me?!

4) Giddiness. Who WERE those people who said, “The kids will probably sleep the whole way”? Not in my world. My 3 y.o. is kicking my seat and shouting nonsensical phrases over and over -- “Take a glance at Mr. Pants!” And my poor, overtired 1 y.o. is giggling hysterically. His laugh IS really cute, though...

5) Recovery. 8 hours after we began our journey, we stumble into the house in a wave of snack wrappers, empty coffee cups, coloring books, and dirty laundry. We immediately split off in different directions, some of us collapsing on the couch, some of us sprinting deliriously around the house. We made it. We survived. We will never -- I repeat, NEVER – attempt that hellish trip again, so help me GPS.

At least, not until the next important family occasion.

QUOTE O’ THE WEEK: Miles: “We should take a plane.” Dad (driving): “Why?” Miles: “Because the plane knows how to get there.”

READ O’ THE WEEK: Pug in a Truck is a really cute book about, you guessed it. Introduces kids to trucker lingo like “dragon wagon” (tow truck) and “ground clouds” (fog).

5 comments:

Meagan Frank said...

I so totally identify with the family road trip stages. We have taken countless road trips with my kids who are now 9,7 and 4, and though the vocabulary may be different, the stages remain the same.

angie mizzell said...

I am still recovering from a road trip from SC to NY state we took at the end of July. It started with my husband and me, along with our 4 year old and 7 month old. We stopped in VA and picked up my sister-in-law, her husband and 6-year-old. We were in an Excursion, but STILL. But what can you do? Uncle Frank only turns 70 once.

Laurie said...

My mom recently moved to Mexico. I was so sad she moved that much further away, but at the same time, relieved we wouldn't have to make the 6.5 hour car trip to see her a couple of times a year. Of course then hubby decided our summer vacation should be in BC. A 12 hour drive away, past mom's old house and much further even, lol!

Shannon @ AnchorMommy said...

Oh, I can so totally sympathize. Get this -- we took a 12 hour road trip to the Oregon Coast last September. 12 hours, each way. With our 85 pound dog. We are NUTS. Actually, I was shocked at how well it went. But my kid did not sleep either! WTH?!?! He nodded off at a park we stopped at for lunch, so we rushed back to the car to keep driving. He ended up snoozing a total of 30 minutes. The way home he didn't sleep AT ALL.

Hope you're recovering!

Kelli @ writing the waves said...

My kids don't sleep in the car either. We try to convince them that it will make the trip shorter, but they are pretty much wide awake the whole time. Thank goodness for portable DVD players.

Related Posts with Thumbnails