2/4/10

Makin' It Work

This is why people who work at home need babysitters.

The phone rings at 5:17 p.m. I can see from the caller ID it’s a work call. As a part-time freelance writer who works a few mornings a week, I normally wouldn’t answer a call at this time of day. But it’s a source I’m supposed to interview over the phone tomorrow, so I pick up.

Source’s secretary: “Hello. Mr. Thompson had something come up. Can you call him a little later tomorrow?”

I had scheduled the call for 11 a.m., when my 3 y.o. would be at preschool and my 11 m.o. at the sitter’s. 11 a.m. was the latest I could do the interview and still be on time for school pick-up at 11:45.

Me: “Um, no, I’m afraid I can’t. I have another appointment later.” In the background, the baby has snatched a full glass of water off the table. I pry it out of his hand. He screetches.

Secretary: “Is that your dog? Poor thing. Hmm, how about sometime in the afternoon, then?”

Afternoons are the absolute WORST time, because both kids are home and may or may not be sleeping. Emphasis on the “not.” I bite the bullet: “Sure, how’s 2 p.m. for Mr. Thompson?” As I’m saying it, I’m praying to GOD that both boys will nap or at least stay semi-quiet in their rooms during my call.

So the next day comes, and at 1:45 p.m. I am rushing through the last pre-nap story and hustling the kids off to bed. “Now, Miles, I’ll ask you again: do you need to use the potty? Because I’m getting on a very important call and I won’t be able to come help you, OK?”

“No, Mom, I don’t have to go.” Famous last words.

I go downstairs, set up my laptop, plug in my recording equipment and check that the phone’s working. Because 2 hours earlier, it wasn’t. And my cell phone gets spotty reception in the house. Working from home is a piece of cake. Hasn’t anyone told you?

So I dial up my source and begin our interview. The baby’s monitor chirps. He’s not asleep, but he’s not wailing, either. I continue my questions.

Then I hear “Mama!” in a loud stage whisper from the top of the stairs. I ignore it. “Maaa-maaaa!” It gets louder. “Could you excuse me for a second, Mr. Thompson?” I fly up the stairs.

“MILES!!! I TOLD you I had to make a VERY IMPORTANT phone call. I can’t help you right now!!”

“But Mama, I can’t find [his blanky].”

“Well, you’re going to have to WAIT, Miles. Please DO NOT interrupt me again. I’m only going to be a few more minutes.” Back downstairs, I pick up the call. “Sorry about that. Where were we?”

I am wrapping up the interview when I hear my son calling me again. Are you KIDDING me?! Then I make out his words, “Mama! Maaa-maaa!! Poo-poo!”

“Thanks for your time, Mr. Thompson. I’ve gotta run now!”

LINK O' THE WEEK: Ever wonder how other mothers achieve (or strive to attain) work/life balance? This interview with a f.t. mom/p.t. literary agent really resonated with me.

7 comments:

Amber Page Writes said...

I don't know how you do it. My daycare provider was sick a couple of weeks ago, so I had to attempt to "work from home" and got about zero hours of work done. I had to do it on the weekend when my husband was home.

Holly Rutchik said...

This cracks me up! As a work at home mommy, I want to sppon my eyes out every time some mom at a playgroup goes on and on about how lucky I am and how nice it muct be. Yeah, because working at home is easy - like I'm the Queen of Sheba or something. grr :)
As always, your words strum a note in the lives working mamas!

Man Named Kim said...

great to find you and this here. funny and a bit too real.

i'm in business and sometimes i deal with at home parents on the phone. background noises and comments add another dimension to the 'sales' experience!

peace to you.

Suzanna said...

I learned this lesson early on - never ask them if they need to go potty. They will always say no. Send them anyway. If they balk, tell them they don't actually have to go potty, but they do have to try just in case. I'm batting 100 (with twins) - they always go. Even now, at the age of seven.

Jen said...

hi there! i found your blog randomly by googling "memoir writers in baltimore"..i'm a student at UB, and i'm taking a class called "publication and performance." we're in charge of welter, UB's literary journal. i'm looking for submissions of memoirs/personal essays to include in welter. if you're interested in submitting (or know anyone who is) email me: jirvin16@verizon.net
thanks! :)

Shannon @ AnchorMommy said...

Oh yeah. Isn't working from home a total CINCH??? I agree with Holly's comment. I've had so many moms (many of them working moms, which is -- no doubt -- a tough job) say I'm SOOO lucky, and that they wish they could do what I'm doing. Well, there are tradeoffs to everything. And the tradeoff with working from home is that you have to balance everything so much more carefully or nothing gets done at all! My sympathies regarding your interview issues!

angie mizzell said...

Abby, thank you for comment on Hybrid Mom! I'm so glad that it led me here, to this post, and to the link to another great story of a work at home mom! I needed all of this today. Love your blog.

Related Posts with Thumbnails