2/7/10

Holy Snow!

To say that we got some snow here this weekend is like saying Lady Gaga is a little quirky. The flakes started falling around noon on Friday, and when the kids woke up at 6:45 a.m. on Sat. we couldn’t see out the windows. Huge snow drifts on the roof obscured the view. Then I went downstairs to let the dog out the back door and … she ran face-first into a WALL of snow. Confused, she turned around and ran back to her bed.

Seriously. Picture a waist-high wave of snow pressing against a sliding glass door. The railings were piled more than a foot high with snow. The poor dog had to hold it until C. could get outside and shovel a path for her. The snow was so deep, he described it as a triple-layer shoveling job. He was drenched with sweat when he was done with the walk, and it was still snowing.

Miles couldn’t WAIT to get outside. He wolfed down some pancakes, then started the labor-intensive process of putting on his “snow gear.” That’s what he calls it: gear. Long johns, socks, snow pants, turtleneck, fleece pullover, coat, boots, hat, scarf, and gloves. Whew! To his credit, he stayed out there for HOURS, despite getting snow up his back and down his wrists. The boy loves snow as much as Lady Gaga hates pants.

I have to say, I’m glad this blizzard happened on a weekend. First, because my husband was home and not stuck on the side of a highway miles and miles away. And second, because HE could shovel the mountains o’ snow and play with our polar bear-blooded son. I’m good for a half-hour or so, but then I want to go back inside and have a hot cup of tea.

Besides, it’s not like you can frolic in the snow for hours when you’ve got an 11 m.o. baby. It’s hard enough getting 17 layers of gear on a 3 y.o., let alone a person half that size. Not to mention that if I dropped Riley in a snow drift, we may not see him till spring. And lastly, because he can’t move in that much snow, even if he could move in that many clothes, I have to carry him. Like he doesn’t weigh enough without the 15 extra lbs. of gear!!

We did bring him outside today, after the snow stopped and the sun came out. But that was mostly just for the photo ops. And because my MIL—who, incidentally, lives in a snow belt up north yet didn’t get a single flake there—scoured the stores to find a tiny snow suit for her youngest grandson. We couldn’t let that go to waste, now could we?

Riley seemed a bit perplexed and mildly interested in the snow, until a few moments later when he slipped and did a face-plant in it. That was the end of our winter family festivities.

I’m a little nervous about what happens when C. goes back to work tomorrow. Will I have to strap tennis rackets on my feet and bundle my children in 50 yards of Polarfleece to go get the mail? Will I have to melt buckets of snow to flush the toilets if a water main breaks somewhere? (My friend actually had to do that for 3 days once.) Will we lose power like my poor 9-mos.-pregnant SIL and have to stay in a hotel?

I don’t know, but if that happens can one of you ski over to my house and let the dog out?

5 comments:

Kelli @ writing the waves said...

I can't believe how much snow the mid-atlantic has gotten this year! My family is in VA, and they've been out of school for a week, and it's cancelled again tomorrow. My sister is a teacher so she's loving it.

The tennis racket thing made me laugh. Definitely get someone to take a picture of that. haha :)

Mrs.E said...

WOW! I wish we could experience half of what you experienced in the snow. Here in Kuwait we are celebrating winter because the temperatures are finally dropping below 8 degrees celcius. We have never had snow in Kuwait, and I have seen it about 4 times in my whole life when I visited America, Iran and Switzerland in the winter. I was born in Boulder, Colorado, so I have many pictres of my young self in ples of white snow, but I remember nothing of those days.

Meg said...

It always drives me crazy that it takes longer to get the kids all bundled up to play outside then it actually takes them to play outside and then want to come back in! Glad that Miles made the most of it and here's hoping for sturdy water mains and dependable electricity. :)

Emily on the Southern Prairie said...

So much fun! (Grass is always greener. I live in the south).

Loukia said...

OH my gosh, your poor baby! Such a cute little picture! And that is exactly what my 2 year old looks like when he's outside- he is not a fan of the snow and cold! My 4 year old doesn't mind it so much. But getting them ready - holy gear, you're right! So many things to put on them... and what, they're only outside for like, 5 minutes? SO ANNOYING!

Related Posts with Thumbnails