10/29/09

What a Scream

What the hell is wrong with my baby? That’s what I want to know. Ever since he came into the world, this child has been giving me a run for my money. Or, more accurately, headaches and minor hearing loss. Every day, for a good portion of the day, he screams and cries and yells and then, just to mix it up, he’ll SCREAM SOME MORE.

OK, that’s a *slight* exaggeration. If he’s just been fed and is well rested and is in sight of Mom and is not cooped up in a crib or highchair and is allowed to crawl around exposing himself to as much danger as possible, Riley is all smiles. For awhile.

But god forbid you ignore him at 3 a.m., or stop in the middle of feeding him to, say, cross the room to grab some coffee. He will let you know AT TOP VOLUME what he thinks of that.

He’s been a huge mama’s boy since Day 1, so you’d think I’d be used to it 8 mos. in. But no, I am still surprised when he bursts into tears when a stranger smiles at him, or when he clings to me for dear life when I drop him off at the gym daycare for an hour. I thank my lucky stars that he doesn’t pull this crap with our regular babysitter. (Or if he does, she doesn’t rat him out.) Because if it weren’t for those little breaks now and then, I hate to think what I might do.

Lots of people – including my gentle, loving husband, Riley’s dad – find it hard to believe anyone could feel animosity towards a tiny, adorable, defenseless baby. I know, it’s shocking even to me the mean thoughts I sometimes have about my own flesh and blood. (Like, “If I could duct-tape that binky to your face to shut you up for half an hour, I WOULD.”)

But seriously. How would you feel if EVERY SINGLE DAY from breakfast through bedtime, a tiny tyrant was screaming at you every time you weren’t giving him your complete, undivided attention and/or carrying his 22 lb. self around? You’d feel worn out and pissed off, that’s how!!

Today, the only time the baby wasn’t screaming was when he was sucking on a banana in his little mesh feeder thingy or being pushed in the stroller outside. Believe me, I’d do these things 24/7 if it weren’t for annoying little chores like taking my 3 y.o. to school, eating, and getting 3 people dressed.

Sometimes I just want to scream at Riley, “DUDE!! Shut the f*** up!! You’re killing me with that air raid siren you call a voice!!” Of course, that’s usually when he decides to break into a big, drooly grin. That little bugger has me under his tiny little thumb.

LAUGH O’ THE WEEK: Miles was looking at a picture of Jesus in his Bible storybook. He pointed to his feet and said, “Mom, are those flip-flops or Crocs?”

6 comments:

New Godmum said...

Love love love this story. I am absolutely going to send it to my sister who has just welcomed her first baby - a baby boy. She'll get a kick out of your baby's antics.

As I am a new blogger ( bit late to the game) I'd love to do a blogroll link exchange. Not that you need it :-)

My stories can be found at www.onesies4babies.com

Kathleen said...

Oh, I sympathize. That's rough. I thought my first was a mama's boy, but boy, his baby brother has him beat. But he's not an all-day-long screamer, either. This, too, shall pass. Eventually.

Virginia said...

Oh, how I feel your pain. My daughter was the exact same way, and dear lord, I wasn't sure I'd survive. I used to phone my husband at work and just hold out the phone so he could hear the screaming.

She's 8 now, and she still cries a lot. She's my diva/princess/drama queen, and she drives me crazy but I love her like mad.

Unknown said...

I totally understand. My 7 mo. old is a complete mama's boy. Just yesterday, he was playing in his play yard aka "baby jail", and as soon as he could get me in his sights, he was screaming. But, if mom's not looking, he plays nice for a while. What a manipulator, just like a man!!!

notlikeacat said...

Ohhhhhh, wow, that sounds rough. Isn't gym daycare a total godsend? And so much cheaper than therapy. ;)

Stuff Parents Need said...

Thank you so much for writing about the tough times with little ones! So many moms are afraid to admit that sometimes they just want to scream because their kids are driving them nuts! It's refreshing to hear frank talk about how it really is some days!

Related Posts with Thumbnails