10/15/09

Deadbeat Dads?

Lately I feel like I’m a hotline for overworked, underappreciated moms. Friend after friend has vented to me with some variation of the following: “I do practically EVERYTHING around here, taking care of the kids, the meals, the laundry, the bills, the shopping, etc., etc. while my husband surfs the web/ watches TV/ sits on his ass/ or just doesn't notice. What is his problem? How can I get him to pitch in more? And when do *I* get some friggin’ time off?!”

I’m not even going to TRY to be politically correct or diplomatic in this post because, well, it’s my damn blog and I don’t have to. Besides, I’ve heard it from so many women at this point I’m going to go out on a limb and say guys like this are the norm. Parenting magazine wouldn’t have devoted a 2-part series to this issue if it weren’t a problem for lots of us.

This is inevitably going to piss off my husband and all those other dads out there who think they’re doing their fair share. And to them I say, “Really?” Do you REALLY, HONESTLY feel that your contributions are equal to those of your wife?

Do you really, truly believe in your heart of hearts that mowing the lawn every couple of weeks and changing the oil and taking the kids to Chick-fil-A on Saturdays offsets your wife’s duties? Do you even KNOW the extent of her duties? Hint: they probably include large amounts of time spent on stain removal, making things for preschool bake sales, and commemorating every event for family and friends with the proper card and/or gift – which includes KNOWING WHERE THE STAMPS ARE and addressing and mailing said cards on time.

I’m going to stop there because a complete list could fill several hundred pages and I’d like to finish this post before I turn 40. And also, because it’s making me mad.

Mad is the feeling I get when I encounter these real-life scenarios (some of which were NOT taken from my own life):

-- The husband of a busy SAHM of 3 children involved in countless sports and activities says to his wife, “I’ve noticed most of the other moms in the neighborhood mow their lawns. Why can’t you do that?” I literally had to bite back the obscenities when I heard this. Did I mention this guy travels for work at least half of each week, so the mom essentially works 72-hr shifts with no relief?

-- A husband volunteers to cook dinner one night. At 6 p.m., he begins surfing around on Foodnetwork.com and rummaging through the pantry. I guess hoping the exact ingredients will magically materialize? When the kids begin to have hunger-induced meltdowns and the wife loses her cool, the husband accuses her of being a control freak and calls out for pizza.

-- A husband volunteers to do the grocery shopping but can’t be bothered to make a list, asking his wife to text it to his phone instead. He still forgets the top 2 most essential items -- milk and toilet paper -- neglects to use the $5 coupon for formula, and comes home with regular baking potatoes instead of sweet potatoes.

-- A husband tells his wife she should stop breastfeeding because it’s making her bitchy. However, he refuses to do any middle of the night feedings because he has to be alert for work the next day. And he doesn’t even know what a bottle sterilizer IS, let alone how to use one.

I’m sorry, but this is just not right. The question is, what can we do about it? You can’t MAKE someone care that the clothes will get wrinkled if they’re not folded straight out of the dryer. You can’t FORCE someone to notice the collection of curdled milk-filled sippy cups under the couch. And you don’t WANT to set up a dynamic with your husband in which you treat him like a spoiled child and he treats you like an unreasonable shrew.

So how do you turn the tables? How do you even out the workload? How do you get to a point where you don’t feel like spitting nails whenever your husband shoves aside a pile of unfolded laundry to put his feet up and watch the game? Good questions.

The Parenting articles I mentioned contain loads of good info. (Such as: 46% of moms get irate with their husbands once a week or more. Those with kids younger than 1 are even more likely to be mad that often.) This web site, which I’ve mentioned several times, has this to say about “How to Stop Fighting Over Housework." I found the book "The Lazy Husband" to be validating, if not life-changing. And I’ve heard the authors of "Getting to 50-50" on several talk shows. I’m not yet convinced such a balance exists in any marriage.

In fact, I don’t know that there really is a solution. Maybe time and gradual (begrudging?) acceptance is the only way. That seems to be what worked for my mom, who considers herself a feminist, worked AND raised kids most of her life, and has been happily married to my dad for 35 years. She said to me once she doesn’t know where we women today got the idea that parenting and household duties should be shared equally. After all, it’s never been 50/50 for any generation.

She may be right, but at this point I’d settle for 70/30.

READ O’ THE WEEK: In Home Game, author Michael Lewis’ hilariously honest memoir of fatherhood, he freely admits that his m.o. is to do as little as possible when it comes to parenting. He estimates his domestic contributions at about 31.5%. He gets points for honesty, but I still feel sorry for his wife (ex-MTV news reporter Tabitha Soren, BTW).

FACT O’ THE WEEK: A survey of 360 married men found that the more satisfied a wife is with the division of household duties, the more satisfied a man is with his sex life. WAKE UP, GUYS!!

15 comments:

notlikeacat said...

Much needed, and much on my mind (I'm about to write my own post about this). I just found your blog via the bump blog contest (and I voted for you!). I love your blog!

Mom2Miles said...

Thanks, JM! Send me a link to your post when it's up. I'd love to read it. :)

Meg said...

Ahhh... I've got a great sigh of vindication reading this. My husband got huffy last night and grabbed the broom, commenting on the crushed goldfish cracker on the floor, saying it was "driving him crazy", as if I had left it there on purpose. I said, "Sorry about that goldfish, I hate for you to have to do any of the housework", (need I mention the sarcastic tone?). He actually stared at me for a moment and said with a very surprised voice, like it had just occurred to him, "I don't know if you've noticed, but i actually don't DO very much housework." Had I noticed? His epiphany did NOTHING for my temper. Thanks for your honesty, it's more than laundry and dishes and no one seems to GET that these days.

Anonymous said...

i don't think 50-50 should even be considered unless both parents work full time. i feel for a lot of women who are overwhelmed by the amount of stuff they have to. i know my mom (homemaker) gets frustrated with my dad for not doing enough around the house but i think she (and maybe others like her?) forget that he leaves the house at 7:30 am to sit in traffic, has to meet and work and delegate all day under a lot of stress, then sit in traffic again and get home at 7:30pm if he's lucky. i don't blame him for wanting to pick up a mop after dinner to clean the floors. (although i have many found memories of my dad helping us with homework, reading to us, watching movies). my husband does not do nearly as many chores as i do BUT he does work 14 hrs a day and pays most of the bills (i work part time right now).

i think the issue is not that men are insensitive and lazy. a lot of men (including my dad) had their mothers pick up after them as a kid and they didn't learn to do chores besides "guy" stuff like garbage, raking leaves. etc. i think the real issue, most of the time, is communication between spouses and the kind of relationship the 2 people have. many people enter a marriage without ironing out any relationship/communication issues before hand, then jump into having kids which only makes things more difficult. although i don't blame women for getting angry and blowing up, there must be better ways to communicate their feelings with their sig. nifs. i know i have been a lot more effective thanking and praising my husband for getting a chore done (e/o asking!) then belittling him and getting p.o.-ed.

Cassie said...

The problem is that even if you are a stay at home mom like me, you end up with two jobs to his one. (Taking care of the kids & the housework) In my house we just work it out that there are certain chores that I will not do. For instance my husband does all his own laundry and the ironing and the folding. Unless he wants to wear dirty underwear he has to get off his ass and do it. Luckily he is really good about it and usually does mine as well since I do all the kids' clothes and the linens.

notlikeacat said...

Hi, me again. Here's my post: http://notlikeacat.blogspot.com/2009/10/mommy-on-sidelines.html



--Julia

Anonymous said...

Don't forget that after the women do most of the housework and take care of the children, we are supposed to be in the **mood** whenever they want! Really??? If they did some more housework it might put me in the mood!!

Kate said...

Too bad that last comment was anonymous, b/c she said some very, very good things. I think the solution can only come if communication is open and good. If it's not, that's the primary issue. And it's a tough one--I cast no stones, because we have three children under 5, and carving out time for anything other than them is one heck of a balancing act--there's "me" time and "you" time and "us" time, and all of them are important.

But all of us married our husbands for some reason. Surely at one time we had the open communication lines that would allow us to work out an issue like this? I think I'll write my own blog post on this...tomorrow, though, since I already have one written for today. :)

Mom2Miles said...

I agree. Anonymous, you make some good points. It's true, I don't cut my husband enough slack for the long hours he works at a stressful job. My beef, though, is that it's not an either/or proposition. I do paid, non-parenting work, too, but I don't get to opt out of the grunt work at home. Nor do I feel like all that stuff should fall to me by default. I will say that while C. may forget the T.P. & neglect the housework, he always makes time for the kids. And in the end, I'd prefer a dad who played w/ his kids over one who did laundry. And Cassie, mine does all his own laundry, too.

Kate said...

I posted on this today after all. I think it's important to remember that the men have a story here, too...

http://kathleenbasi.com/2009/10/16/a-plea-to-spouses/

Anonymous said...

hi, this is anonymous @6:13 pm - no relation to anon. @4:40 am. :)

anyway...
Kate, i'd love to check out your blog and read your thoughts on this!

Mom2Miles - you're right, women don't get to opt-out of the grunt work. and i'm sure the last thing you'd want to do is let your kids and/or personal comfort suffer b/c hubby is not pitching in as much as he should. last night i took out the trash while husband ran some errands - it seemed to take a lot less energy to do it myself (though it's his chore) than being annoyed and trying to keep the recyclables pile from toppling over! ;) (btw, i hate asking my husband to do the chores he's supposed to do - do you?)

and i'll tell you right now, for a girl, i'm not the best communicator when it comes to feelings so in some ways i'm partially to blame for any lack of communication in our relationship. hopefully a marriage is about (among many things) friendship and respect, and hopefully your husband treats you as a friend, with the most respect.

but i wonder, this is just a thought, when husband comes home, how many of us ask how their day went? engage in conversation and really listen? i'm sure this is something we all did in the beginning but what about now? maybe there issues that your husband has w/ home life (or anything) but doesn't know how to express it? it's really amazing the insecurities and stress men seem to carry around and never bring it up.

this may sound underhanded or too "mom" like, but sometimes i find myself saying, "hey, would you help me (insert chore) while you tell me how your meeting went?" sometimes i think men need a little coaxing. and i also think they need to feel like you are really interested in their feelings despite the fact the you probably had a VERY full day yourselves.

i also just want to clarify that i don't think i'm a relationship expert (far from it!!) and my marriage is not perfect. but i do enjoy being part of a constructive dialog with other wives/moms just trying to cope and not go crazy! i know a lot of you are doing your best to cope and still enjoy your children and family life. there must be a way to manage it all! :)

April said...

I wouldn't mind so much about having an uneven amount of household chores and child rearing responsibilities if I was given affirmation and appreciation without having to ask for it. Also an occasional "what can I help you with?" would be great! I know men just don't think to do these things, it's just how they are.

I do try and model to him though on how I would like to be treated by telling him often how I'm so appreciative that he works hard for our family so I can be home with our kids. I almost always say thank you when he does something nice or a chore. I just don't think he's caught on to it and we usually have to have this discussion every few months.

Men do TONS more than they ever did 60 years ago in regards to the home chores and child rearing so we are making progress! :)

Carrie said...

Reading this post came at a time when I was feeling the exact same way. My Sundays consist of QT with the baby girl - playing, reading, tummy time, snuggling... and of course changing and feeding. Then there's the laundry, vacuuming, cooking, dishes and other household chores. All the while hubby sits and stares at the TV watching football and the computer following his fantasy team. When I'd ask for help with the cleaning or changing of a dirty diaper I'd generally get a dirty look for interrupting his day. Hey! I like football too! I'd love to just hang out on the couch, but it's not about us anymore and I can't do it all on my own! Well, I could, but I shouldn't have to, and if he expects me to be happy, he should help.

Oh, and if I hear one more time that I'm so lucky that he changes diapers every once in a while because men didn't do that 30, 40, 50 years ago... gah! I don't care what men didn't do in the past - that doesn't mean you're getting out of being a responsible parent now! And yes, his mom waited on him hand and foot, but if he hasn't learned over the five years we've been together that I'm not that woman, then that's his problem.

I don't have any issue thanking him or praising him for what he does and I've learned that he's not going to do it without my asking him and I accept that. I just don't think I deserve to get attitude for asking for some help.

rachel said...

I thought it was interesting this weekend, when my hubby and I were watching a rerun of some talk show on TV about mommy burn out. He turned to me and said, "Why is it so important that women take care of themselves? Don't men need to do the same?" (Just for full disclosure, we don't have kids just yet, and his father did much more housework than his mom, both of whom worked full-time his entire life). He wasn't even being rude, he just couldn't grasp what was so much different about being a woman/wife/mom than being a man/husband/father. I am hoping this is because he plans to go full time as a dad, too, but I hope he realizes I will KILL him if he doesn't see the differences. SOON.

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with the first anonymous comment. My husband is a hard worker-or he works hard enough to pay someone to mow the lawn. :) In our household, I recognize that he has a very high intense, stressful job that leaves him with a sick fear of layoffs everytime he leaves the office. Our husbands have a very tough job of making sure we have food on the table, a paid mortgage/electricity bill/water bill/gas bill/insurance bill/cell phone bill/gas in my tank bill/silly extras for the house/kids. You get what I am saying.

In a way, I think men feel unappreciated for what they do, so they shut down and avoid the things we stay at home moms do everyday. Stay at home mom's have it easier. We take care of our children, shop, pay bills, spend countless hours on activities, neglect ourselves, and place our household before ourselves. Whenever I get pissy, I would much rather worry about picking out Peanut Butter & jelly vs. turkey than worry about solving a difficult and twisted issue a multimillion dollar client has.

I also don't think mowing the lawn is a terrible request for someone to ask of their partner. If I was working full time, I would ask my husband if he could, and he most likely would. If our partner has given us the gift of staying home, it is our duty to them to alleviate their burden-of course to an extent. No one can do everything!

It's about 75-25 in my home and I don't mind. You must pick and choose your battles, sometimes it is important to just be thankful you have what you do. Many women would kill to have what we have.

Related Posts with Thumbnails