1/20/09

Historic Moments Are Lost on Toddlers

My friend EG, an Americorps alum, flew across the country to attend the presidential inauguration and related events. My SIL who lives in DC was planning to join the crowd of millions on the national mall today. As for me, I commemorated this momentous day in our nation’s history by taking my 2-year-old son with me to my ob/gyn appointment because snow delayed the opening of his preschool. Afterwards, I attempted to feed him lunch while catching the swearing-in ceremony on TV. A transcript of my experience follows.

President Obama (PO): “My fellow citizens…”

Miles (M): “SIT-zens!”

PO: “I stand here today humbled by the task before us, grateful for the trust you have bestowed…”

M: “Biz-TOWED!”

PO: “… mindful of the sacrifices borne by our ancestors…”

M: “Rowr, ROWRR!!!”

Me (M2M): “Miles! I’m trying to listen to this. Take your tiger flashlight in the other room please.”

PO: “Forty-four Americans have now taken the presidential oath…”

M: “Rowr, ROWRR!!!”

M2M: “MILES!!! Please be quiet!”

PO: “…because We the People have remained faithful to the ideals of our forbearers, and true to our founding documents.”

M: “DOC-you-mints!”

PO: “ … Our nation is at war, against a far-reaching network of violence and hatred. Our economy is badly weakened …”

M2M: “Miles, that man is our new president.”

M: “Present? What present?”

M2M: “No, PRE-SI-DENT. His name is Barack Obama. Can you say Barack Obama?”

M: “Buh-ROCK O-bama. B’ROCK Obama! BROCKOBAMA BROCKOBAMA BROCKOBAMA!!”

PO: “Today I say to you that the challenges we face are real…”

M: “Mommy, you be a baby and I be a mommy. OK, mommy?”

M2M: “Miles, I just want to hear -- ”

M: “Mommy! You be a baby and I be the mommy, OK?”

Sigh. So much for important historic moments when there’s a toddler around.

LINK O’ THE WEEK: If, like me, you weren’t able to hear Obama’s inaugural address for one reason or his brother, here’s the complete transcript.

UPDATE O’ THE WEEK: Jen & Ben went with Seraphina Rose Elizabeth Affleck. Huh. Didn't see that one coming.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was in the carpool line listening and was repeatedly distracted by my baby daughter blowing out her diaper.

April said...

That sounds like a play by play from our living room as well. It's like they know!

Related Posts with Thumbnails