1/15/09

Behold: the Big Boy Bed

Big things are happening around here. And I’m not talking about my belly. Miles has officially moved into his Big Boy Bed in his Big Boy Room. As Victoria Beckham would say, this is MAJOR, people. It’s a little bittersweet, of course. My baby’s growing up. I will miss seeing him bottom-up in his crib. But I am pretty proud of how his new bed turned out.

In a fit of creativity, I decided to make him an upholstered headboard. This was my inspiration, and this was my back-up. Mine came out much cuter, don’t you think? I found the directions here. I got plywood from Home Depot and foam, batting, and fabric from Joann’s. The hardest part was finding a place to do the embroidery. I finally found a mom-and-pop sports shop that does team jerseys and stuff like that. Also, hanging the headboard on the wall was a bit of a challenge. (The photo doesn’t show all the extra holes from our first attempts!) We ended up using some brackets meant to hang bathroom mirrors.

As you can see, we’re big into trucks and trains and other vehicles around here. The sheets are from Olive Kids (purchased with a 20% off coupon at Bed, Bath & Beyond), and the adorable Thomas duvet cover is custom-made by my super talented seamstress mom. Clearly, the sewing gene is not inherited.

I was especially excited to find this cute IKEA doll bed, which we presented to Miles at the same time as his new bed. “Look, now Curious George and your doggies can sleep in a big boy bed, too!” Or, you can use it as a step-stool to climb up on the dresser and unravel an entire roll of double-sided tape which Mommy stupidly left up there during naptime. Guess which part Miles was most excited about?

It’s been a transition, that’s for sure. We’ve had many nights when he’s talked about monsters, begged us to sleep with him, and said he misses his crib. But he seems to be getting over it. He usually stays in his bed at night once we get him in. (Fear of monsters, perhaps? Whatever works!) Naps are another story. (See above tape incident.) It’s brighter in his room during the day (thanks to the window treatment saga which I’ll save for another post, you lucky readers), so he often climbs out and messes around with stuff in his room. We’ve had many pages ripped out of books that he brings into bed with him.

All in all, though, the move to the big boy room has been a success. I just need to find some more stuff to hang on the walls, and figure out the window shades. Check out these removable wall decals I found at Wallslicks.com. Cute, huh?

In other news, you would think that since I’ve already had a baby, I’d be immune to the childbirth horror stories heaped upon new moms, wouldn’t you? But no, I’ve discovered a second, more insidious mutation: the SECOND-child birth horror stories. Like the women who barely make it to the hospital in time, the ones who arrive too late for an epidural, and the ones whose first baby was a piece of cake and the second was the colicky spawn of Satan. Thanks, people. Helpful. Real helpful.

THEME SONG O’ THE WEEK: “Gigantic” by The Pixies. That’s me!

3 comments:

Dooneybug said...

Wow! I'm thinking you saved a lot of money making that headboard yourself. Great job, it looks terrific! Want to do one for my son? :)

And I love that duvet cover! And isn't Ikea the best ever? We have their LATT children's table and chair set and they are very sturdy for so cheap. I have been jonesing to go there for a while now. We are remodeling our basement and I already have my entire office furniture picked out (but we're still a few months out from that point)!

Anyway, let me just say that my second was way, WAY easier. Breastfeeding was easier (can still be painful but at least you know what to do), worrying was less and you're already in the mommy groove so there's no adjustment period there. Labor is labor and so there's no need to get unnerved about it. It will be what it will be. Don't let people worry you, you'll do JUST FINE! I cannot wait to see this new baby of yours!

Anonymous said...

I so love the butt in the air look. I'm going to be super sad when Katie gives that up.

Awesome job on Miles' room!

Sarah said...

Hi Abby,
I came across your blog a while ago and have really been enjoying it.

I had to laugh when I read your post because my husband and I just got our son his "big boy bed" a few days ago. Isn't it funny how bittersweet these milestones are!

By the way, I was extremely nervous before giving birth to my second child, too...but she is way easier than my son ever was. So don't worry too much :) Best of luck to you and yours!

~Sarah

Related Posts with Thumbnails