1/30/09

Blogs: Cheaper Than Therapy

One of the great ironies in my life is that although I am a longtime and enthusiastic blogger, I rarely have time to read other people’s blogs. Oh, I have a handful I check regularly, and even more that I’ve bookmarked or subscribed to and read occasionally, but it’s oh-so-rare for me to find time to sit down, surf, follow links, comment, and peruse the blogosphere to my heart’s content.

Lately, though, I’ve been trying to do this more. And let me tell you, there’s a lot of good stuff out there, people! This post, in particular, seemed to be written for me:

Blogger Rocks In My Dryer recalls the days when she had 3 boys under age 4:

“I’m not sure I was fully aware, back then, how incredibly taxing those days were. I operated much of the time in survival mode, buzzing between a pediatrician visit to a botched bedtime to a temper tantrum to an explosive diaper (or three). And I loved it – make no mistake. For all the exhaustion, there were many times that were so precious they did (and still do) take my breath away. But the intensity of the demands had me bouncing back and forth constantly between joy and discouragement, wonder and fear. I remember feeling guilty, sometimes, knowing there would never be a sweeter season in my life, so why was it that I sometimes just wanted everyone to go to sleep already?”

She continues: “I’m still very much in the trenches of motherhood, though I’ve mercifully passed into the days in which everyone is responsible for his or her own bodily fluids. Standing on this side of the preschool years, let me tell you, if you’re sitting there reading this with spit-up on your shirt, that you’re not crazy – what you’re doing is very hard. And it really does get easier.”

Thank God. Thank God this woman put into words what I’ve been feeling, without resorting to “Just wait till they’re teenagers” or “Enjoy this time because it goes so fast” or “Why don’t you go back to work if you don’t like being at home?” Because IT’S NOT THAT SIMPLE.

Every day, I am amazed at what a wonderful and intelligent human being I created in my own body. I marvel that, having been alive less than 3 years, my son already has more personality than most 30-year-olds I know. I revel in the joy he brings to his dad and me and everyone else he encounters. I cannot imagine what my life would be like without him. And yet...

Every day, I have to negotiate, bribe, endure, and sometimes threaten a very short, very strong-willed person. We clash over what to wear, what to eat, who descends the stairs first, whether to use the potty and when, who gets to flush, whether or not assistance is needed putting on shoes, getting into the car, and hundreds of other things. His needs always come first; mine are always last.

My son tests me like no one else. He brings me to my breaking point weekly, if not daily. And just when I am sure I cannot prepare yet another meal that will be refused and thrown away uneaten, when I am sure I cannot endure another struggle over letting the water out of the bathtub, when I am sure I will go insane if forced to play another game in which I pretend to be a Disney character, when I am sure that if my husband doesn’t walk in the door in the next 2 minutes I will run out of the house and never come back, I get up and do it all again the next day. And the next. And the next.

The aforementioned post reassured me that I’m not crazy and I’m not alone. So thank you, fellow bloggers and moms. This year, I vow to seek out more of you and drink in the wisdom of the blogosphere. It’s cheaper than therapy, that’s for sure.

LINK O’ THE WEEK: Dooce reminds us that toddlers’ first language is Utter Discontent, but that (thankfully) they don’t speak it forever.

MILESTONE O’ THE WEEK: I can’t believe this is my 200th post! I’ve been at this for over 3 years, and I’m not the most prolific blogger in the world, but even so, 200’s pretty impressive, is it not?

7 comments:

April said...

that is a great post. thank you. I just love reading about M. he does seem to have so much personality. hope you are doing well.

Anonymous said...

Thank you. This motherhood stuff is a wild ride!

Jenni said...

Thank you for quoting part of that wonderful post. I'm just back from a trip (I was caring for a family member)--away from my kids--and was feeling guilty that all weekend I felt like I was the one healing!

Parenthood is hard and wonderful and exasperating. My needs are always last, too. I keep hearing we will look at our kids someday and realize they have turned into independent, compassionate, creative individuals who don't need us every second of the day.

Richard said...

Time for me to thank YOU for your post!! I 'link-jumped' tonight and ended up on your blog. Only being in the game for half the time of you (15 month old here), I still found myself nodding and agreeing with everything you quoted and followed on to write yourself.

Thankyou for making me realise I too, am not crazy.

Anonymous said...

It can be overwhelming sometimes to blog, you should try twitter. It is only 140 characters that you have to come up with so it can be alot easier on your time.

A.Russ said...

This is an old blog post but NOT TO ME! I am a new mom and have managed to read every post of yours in a two day span. Thank god for the iPhone found propped against my three month old while he nurses. And thank god for this blog. I have newfound strength and perspective on this whole mothering gig.

Mom2Miles said...

Thanks for the comment, A.Russ! Glad you found me & hang in there. I'm sure you're doing a great job. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails