3/4/08

Month 22: If I Wanted Your Advice...

Lots of new moms have stories about being accosted by nosy strangers giving them unsolicited advice about how to care for their babies. Like, “That baby should be wearing a hat!” or “Your baby’s hungry/tired/cold.” As if they know anything at all about your baby and you’re too stupid to consider those options. Some moms suggest snappy comebacks like, “Oh, really? You mean you have to FEED them?”

In the interest of spreading around some good mom karma, I would like to report that I have never been the victim of such obnoxious “advice.” In fact, I have been pleasantly surprised by just how kind and supportive most people have been to me as a new mom. I’ve had people hold doors open for my stroller, smile understandingly when my baby screamed his head off in public, and even hold my baby while I threw up on a plane. If that’s not the height of kindness, I don’t know what is.

Then again, there was that time at the library. First, let me set the scene: I had this book I’d checked out months ago. I’d renewed it the maximum number of times because I could never find time to read it. I had already racked up enough late fees that I could’ve purchased the book in hardback. But I could never seem to get to the library to return it. Miles was in the stage where he would only tolerate being strapped into the carseat for limited periods of time. If you let him out, chances were exceedingly slim that you’d ever get him back in again.

I asked my husband to return the book for me. It floated around in his car for awhile, where it threatened to be lost forever among the Red Bull cans and gum wrappers. Finally I snatched it back and swore that I would return it that week, come hell or high water.

So. Miles and I were on the way back from Stroller Strides. I had already stopped at Trader Joe’s, thereby using up my one carseat transfer for the day. We were driving by the library, where there happened to be a parking spot out front. I’d just leave Miles in the car for a second and dash over to the book drop -- a few yards away and in full view of the car.

I did feel a little nervous about carjackers or a sudden heat wave, but I decided to take my chances. Wouldn’t you know it? Just as I approached the book drop slot, an older woman with a tote bag full of back issues of Martha Stewart Living strolls up -- and proceeds to return them ONE AT A TIME!! I could feel my blood starting to boil. Finally, I chucked in my book and ran back to the car. (Real time elapsed: approximately 7 seconds. Felt like: an ETERNITY.)

A woman was standing on the sidewalk smoking a cigarette. “That your car?” she called. I opened the door. “You can get a citation for that, you know. Leaving a baby in the car like that. I work at the court house, and they give out citations for that.”

Oh. No. She. Didn’t. This is NOT the day to mess with me, lady. Do you have any IDEA how hard it was for me to run this one damn errand?? In a fit of rage, I imagined pummeling her with overdue library books. It took all my self-restraint to keep my mouth shut, get in the car, and drive away.

However, except for that one incident … and some unhelpfulness in the airport security line … and some dirty looks when my son has run amuck in the mall … I have found people to be overwhelmingly supportive of new moms. If you have not been so lucky, maybe together we can come up with some snappy comebacks. Like when someone scolds you for not putting a hat on your baby, telling that person just where they can stuff their hat.

TIP O’ THE WEEK: Some libraries, like mine, let you renew your books online. Even more helpful would be a drive-thru book drop.

9 comments:

Danielle said...

may71Ah, you have been very lucky! That was my favorite thing about having my fourth baby; most people figure if you're not doing something their way by now, you won't start soon! My first baby was a colicky infant and that produces nearly the number of disdainful stares as wearing a bikini to Mass.

Your blog is great! I read it all the time.

Anonymous said...

When bringing my son to the supermarket, I've had cashiers open register lines just for me, and then closing them once I'd checked out.

Oh, and I'm definitely in favor of snappy retorts. Sometimes, people just have to be put in their place, and you'll have quite the adrenaline rush if you're the one who puts them there. :-)

PeeKay said...

so im not the ONLY library patron in mommy-land who can't return books on time. Seriously, the only way it is for me to feel better is to think of it as a Blockbuster for books and this is my monthly donation. Then I made the mistake of checking out 7 kids books, thankfully, those books only carry a fine of $.10 a day. sheehs

And one more thing, it is ABSOLUTELY ridiculous for you to have to lug a baby to the library book drop when the car is in view. I salute you!

Laski said...

"I have been pleasantly surprised by just how kind and supportive most people have been to me as a new mom." Yeah, me too. But I so hear ya!

I was actually in a nice restaurant (which really doesn't say much for where I live). Little J (6 months old--yeah, I'm new at this mom thing myself) started to fuss (it was only a minute at most while I searched for a toy). This lady sitting nearby was giving me looks the minute I arrived and started to make a comment about J to her dinner companion. She caught my eye and I laughed and said "I know. Thank God I only have hearing in one ear." I smiled and she looked so mad. Hee hee.

Oh, and do I hear you about those library books. I always have high ambitions about reading . . . never seems to happen. It took me two months to get through ONE book! Ugh!

Great blog, BTW!

OHmommy said...

Oh... I so understand. Running errands is so hard to do, now. :)

Anonymous said...

We just got a brand new library, and they have an automated drive up return window, a book drop box, AND a drive thru window w/a person (when they're open). I had complained about the lack of these things several times at the old library, for the reason you're describing. I hate getting kids in and out of the car/seats!

Nan Patience said...

It's not a comeback on advice, but it's worth mentioning as far as responding to a commonly asked question.

People got so used to seeing me around with my babies years ago, before kindergarten, that on the rare occasions when I was without them, I'd often be asked, "Where are the kids today?"

Here's a fun reply: "Ya know... I'm not sure!"

Mom2Miles said...

Danielle, I love this: "a colicky infant ... produces nearly the number of disdainful stares as wearing a bikini to Mass."

Ah, so I'm not alone in my library struggles...

Anonymous said...

Fantastic website, I had not noticed www.diaryofanewmom.net earlier during my searches!
Carry on the wonderful work!

Related Posts with Thumbnails