11/15/10

A Baby Walks into a Bar...

Riley told his first joke yesterday. It went like this:

Riley: “Knock-knock!”

Us: “Who’s there?”

Riley: “Neena.” (His word for banana.)

Us: “Neena who?”

Riley: “Peena!”

Isn’t that hysterical? What? You don’t get it? Well, it’s sophisticated humor. It’ll come to you later.

It thrills me no end that my son is funny even at the tender age of 20 mos. (And before that, he was cracking us up without words. He was like a tiny, talented, not-scary mime.)

Do you know it’s a sad fact that millions of people are born each year without a sense of humor? I know, I’ve met some of them. It’s particularly unfortunate if you happen to be on a date with one of these people or are being interviewed by one.

Humor is hugely important to me. I don’t know if you can tell, but I like to laugh. Mostly at myself and my children. (I can’t help it; we provide an endless stream of material.) I don’t know where this came from, exactly, since it’s not like my family sat around the dinner table trading quips when I was growing up.

Though my grandmother was a master of dry humor. She would pronounce a dull Scrabble game or my grandfather’s golf scores “gripping” and have us all snorting with laughter with a single look. She once said to my grandfather when they were dating, “Excuse me, but I believe you’ve mistaken my knee for the gearshift.” LOL!

If anything, my sons’ humor comes from their dad’s side of the family. My husband famously once snuck up on his sister wearing a gorilla mask while she was writing in her diary. Hilarity ensued. He still cracks up just talking about it.

It’s a well-known fact that one of the most endearing sounds in the world is a baby’s laughter. There’s a reason baby-themed entries frequently win “America’s Funniest Home Videos.” (Followed closely by pets, old people, and rednecks getting kicked in the crotch.)

We do have a lot of laughter in our house. And thank god for that. Because when they’re not cracking me up, my kids can -- and do -- drive me “neenas.”

VIDEO O’ THE WEEK: Who knew a raccoon puppet in a trash can could be so funny?

7 comments:

DIAPERS in the DESERT said...

Love the video. Adorable!!

A.Russ said...

Well whoever you got it from thank them for me. Your blog single handedly got me through my post partumy months. You are a riot!

Mom2Miles said...

Thank you guys!! You made my day. Seriously. I've been in a bit of a blog funk lately & this helps a lot.

Angie Mizzell said...

A baby walks into a bar pushing a bubble mower... (and I had to play that video twice. Too cute.)

Elizabeth Flora Ross said...

There is absolutely no better sound on this earth than a child laughing. I LOVE that video!

Shannon @ AnchorMommy said...

Ha! What a cute video!

I'm nursing a cold, so I've lost my sense of smell AND humor. And as you know, days are much longer when you lose your sense of humor. Well, tonight my son was throwing an empty paper towel tube up in the air, and the baby started cracking up! Holy moly...just what I needed to hear.

And by the way, I love that your little guy is telling jokes already! Give that guy a stage and a microphone!! ;-)

Loukia said...

Your blog is very funny and so is your little babe! So cute he's telling jokes... aww!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails