11/10/10

Daylight Savings Sucks

Crayons don't taste goodWarning: I’m in a bad mood. This is probably going to be a grumpy, whiny rant so if you’re looking for rainbows and sunshine, click away. I blame daylight savings time. I remember when I first discovered what a joke the supposed “extra hour” of sleep is for people with babies.

And when people say they wish there were more hours in the day, I’m guessing they do not mean the cold, pre-dawn, pre-coffee hours or the long, cold, now-dark hours between 4 and 7 p.m. At least not when you have to share those hours with 2 loud, whiny, and often damp children age 4 and under. (Some of whom like to eat crayons.)

My 20 m.o. is back to his newborn ways. He’s waking up at 4:30 a.m. wailing and thrashing. Only now he can talk, so his wailing sounds like this: “Mommeeeee! Daddeeeee! Mommeeeee! Daddeeeee!” and on and on until you go get him. And we do, if only so our 4 y.o. doesn’t wake up and come bounding out of his room to get in on the action.

Sometimes, Daddy can get the baby back to sleep in the rocking chair, and sometimes against my better judgment, I let him get into our bed. But usually he’s wet and frequently stinky. (What the HELL?! Huggies Overnite diapers worked like a charm with my firstborn.) And if you change his diaper, then he’s wide awake and up for a game of “Let’s turn Mommy’s nostrils inside out” or “Pinch the skin on Daddy’s neck really, really hard.”

Some nights it’s like musical beds. C. may fall asleep in Miles’ bed or in Riley’s chair. If Miles comes into our room because he had a bad dream, I might move to his room because C. is snoring and Miles tends to kick me in the ribs. You never know where you’re going to wake up, or with whom. It’s like college only everything smells like pee instead of beer.

(True story: in college my freshman roommate was on the soccer team. One night after a raging soccer party her teammate next door got up to go to the bathroom and mistook our room for hers when she came back. So I woke up to find a drunk girl trying to climb into bed with me. Of course my roommate, who was also drunk, found this hysterical.)

And the getting-dark-early part of daylight savings? Is a TERRIBLE thing. This means that after Riley wakes up from his nap and Miles has been forced to play quietly by himself while I work, we can’t go outside and play, but have to remain cooped up in the house. Or else brave the rush-hour traffic to kill time at Target or the mall or other germ-infested places where you’ll end up spending money for no reason. I hate this time of year.

Aren’t you glad you stopped by? ;)

LINK O’ THE WEEK: Speaking of drunk bed-hoppers, Stefanie Wilder-Taylor's "Open Letter to Charlie Sheen" is hilarious. I really do feel sorry for his 1-y.o. twins, though. Hopefully their extended family has a clue.

7 comments:

Carrie said...

Daylight savings time has really f-ed my household up, to be perfectly honest. I can't remember the last time Peyton didn't sleep through the night and now... we're all tired and cranky from the lack of sleep.

I also don't think she appreciates the fact that the overnight temps here in Florida dropped to the 40s and 50s over the weekend and she actually has to wear more than just a onesie to bed.

Who knew a 16 month old's life could be turned upside down this easily?

Kathleen@so much to say, so little time said...

"Warning: I’m in a bad mood."

ME, TOO!

I don't understand why those idiots in D.C. didn't just abolish the whole thing when they were messing with it two years ago. Say: "Aw, we like Daylight Savings, so let's just make it permanent." No, instead they just moved it around so now in addition to the headache of resetting kids' schedules, now the every 6 month change your smoke detector battery thing doesn't work either!

I mean, seriously! Didn't any of these people raise kids? What were they thinking???!

Shannon @ AnchorMommy said...

Oh geez. I was just talking to someone on Sunday (who doesn't have kids) and she was saying how much she loves the Daylight Savings "fallback." It was all I could do to not punch her in the face.

That said, the whole thing hasn't been too terrible at our house this year. Perhaps because I'm getting no sleep anyway. But hooo boy, am I with you on the getting-dark-early part!! It's a NIGHTMARE.

Meg said...

I'm probably the only parent out there who didn't get turned upsided down by daylight savings this year. Somehow it seems... GOOD, that the kids got up earlier. It makes getting out the door in the morning easier. BUT I totally detest the early nights now. I'm with you! How the heck are you supposed to get any fresh air with the kids?! The mall becomes a financial and emotional burden after you end up there several times a week in desperation. On the bright side, Borders is right next to the kids play area so I can pick up a hit and a magazine to read while they play. Practically a vacation, only with screaming children and eau de peepee.

Loukia said...

Oh the time change thing can go suck it! It's awful, really. I don't like waking up at 5:45 at ALL! And we are all over the place at night time, too. 2 year old falls asleep with me, then I put him in his crib, 5 year old falls asleep with his daddy, at 1 a.m. 2 year old is in my bed, daddy sleeps with 5 year old.. yeah... never a solid night of sleep! Maybe one day, right? Sigh!

angie mizzell said...

It was worth stopping by just to see the adorable pic of Stinky, I mean, Riley. We had a delayed reaction to DST... the partied started at 5am yesterday... I think, hope, pray we're returning to normal.

Sarah said...

I agree! It sucks. Graham is still waking up at 6 a.m. when he used to get up at 6:30 or 7. A half hour makes a big difference when I'm trying to get some sleep on the weekends!! Sheesh. I also hate the early onset of darkness. I used to take Graham out in the afternoons to the park and now it's taking a lot of creativity to entertain him without too much television. Sigh. Love the pic btw.

Related Posts with Thumbnails