9/3/09

Back to School

Ah, the first day of school is here at last. Hooray! Since my son will go to preschool 3 days a week, that means I’ll have 3 whole mornings to myself. Well, 3 whole hours each morning, anyway. Actually, by the time you factor in drop-off and pick-up, it’s more like 2.5 hours. And wait – I have another kid now, so never mind. No break for me!

Seriously, though, I am happy school’s back in session. Miles needs something to do besides antagonize his baby brother. I walked into the room the other day to find him dragging the baby across the floor by his heel. Another time, he claimed he was playing peek-a-boo when I caught him wrapping a towel around the baby’s head. Surprisingly, Riley didn’t seem to mind. I guess any attention’s better than none, right? At least that seems to be Miles’ theory.

If you recall, he started preschool last year. Most of the other 2-y.o.’s had a hard time transitioning, so there were lots of tears and shortened hours at first. Not my kid, though. He ran into the classroom each day with barely a “See ya, Mama!” At pick-up he pouted and cried about being forced to go home with his boring old mom. So he couldn’t wait to go back this year.

As I was sitting there in the carpool line counting the Honda Odysseys, I couldn’t help but notice the differences between the boys and the girls. The girls were for the most part wearing cute dresses and sparkly shoes and hair bows. One little girl was dressed in head to toe white. Holy stain removal, Batman! But the boys…. Sure, some wore little polo shirts and khakis, but most were dressed in T-shirts, shorts and sneakers.

Like my own son, whose choice of outfit was: a truck T-shirt, yesterday’s shorts and a John Deere cap. I nixed the hat but decided not to battle over the rest. What’s the point? I’m not trying to make any kind of fashion statement through my son. Though I HAD picked out a nice collared shirt and khaki shorts. Oh, well, he came home covered in red paint and playground dirt anyway.

Last year, it was like pulling teeth to get him to tell me about his day. What a difference a year makes. This time, he was rattling off details before I’d even buckled him into the car seat. “I had a great day, Mom,” he began. What more could a parent hope for?

Of course, it turns out he didn’t use the bathroom once in 3 hours. I’ve been nervous about the potty issue. I’m not proud to say I got a little smug when another mom mentioned her 3 y.o. son was nowhere near potty trained. Now watch, my kid will be the one who comes home every day wearing a change of clothes. Meaning a DIFFERENT truck shirt and camouflage shorts.

LINK O’ THE WEEK: Aren’t these Garnet Hill Kids’ backpacks cute? I wish I’d seen the Bug Boogie one before I bought a plain old ugly backpack on sale. Once again, a bazillion adorable options for girls, nothing but sports and cars for boys.

3 comments:

April said...

I can't wait for my son to start pre-school in a little over a week. They only do two 3-hour mornings a week at age 3 but he's so ready to go, go, go! I put him in a day camp this summer where he was gone for 6 hours for 4 days and he loved every second of it. He told me at the end of the day he missed me but I think he was just sparing my mommy self image.

Those backpacks are adorable! I found my son a Thomas the Train one at a yard sale for $1 and it was practically brand new. He was happy and so was my wallet. But those girly backpacks are just too cute!

April said...

Wow he is so grown up. I can't believe it. It seems like just yesterday I started reading your blog and he was just a baby. Where does the time go!

Holly Rutchik said...

Ohh, back to school--I'm going through this with my hubby right now!
I am very interested in taking your class this Oct.
The money would be a BIG one for me, but I think I can make it work. Before doing so, I wanted to ask a few questions about the class and maybe e-mail someone who has taken it. I hope that is ok. If so, please e-mail me at hollyrutchik@yahoo.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails