9/26/09

You Choose, You Lose?


Yesterday was a bad day. Like most days, it started with the baby waking up at 3 a.m. Then my 3 y.o. was up around 6. (Doesn’t anyone but me like to stay in bed until the sun’s actually up??)

During the morning rush, Miles was playing in the recycling bin rather than putting on his shoes like I’d asked him to … 6 TIMES ALREADY! Next thing I know, he’s screaming and crying and bleeding. Apparently, he’d stepped on a piece of broken glass. Upon closer inspection, it turned out not to be as awful as it looked. But by the time we’d dealt with all that, we were late to school and the baby had missed his morning nap window.

The rest of the day passed typically with Riley spitting up all over everyone and everything -– now in a rainbow of colors, thanks to his diet of fruits and vegetables! -– and Miles not napping. We were supposed to go to a school picnic that evening, which I was dreading having to manage solo since C. wouldn’t be home from work in time.

But just before I was about to start getting everybody ready, Miles let the dog in from the backyard. She went tearing through the house, tripped over my computer cord, and sent my laptop crashing to the floor. Pieces of metal and plastic scattered everywhere.

I lost it. (My sanity, I mean. Not my computer. Like Miles’ cut, it turned out the damage was mostly superficial.) I am not cut out for this. I quit. I’m moving to Guam. I can’t do this anymore. The world is against me. Those are just a few of the thoughts that went through my mind.

So when C. and I were talking later that night and he said, “It was your choice to stay home with the kids.” I kind of lost it. Again. (This time I mean my temper, not my sanity. Which as you may recall, was already gone.)

First, let me clarify that my husband was not trying to be an unsympathetic jerk. Rather, he was genuinely perplexed about what to do and trying to find a solution, in that typically male way. A problem? Let’s fix it! Then we can stop talking and watch the game already!

But something about that word “choice” infuriated me. What was he TALKING about? That’s like telling the castaways on Gilligan’s Island, “Well, hey, you guys CHOSE to go on that 3-hour tour!”

Did my husband really think I CHOSE to spend 12 hours a day wiping butts and cleaning up glass shards by myself?? Did he think that before we had kids I had any idea what was involved? That I’d be required to fish pieces of newspaper and Legos out of my 6 m.o.’s mouth that he’d grabbed while I was busy cleaning up a dirty diaper the dog had shredded? Or that potty-training my older son would be an extended form of malodorous torture? Or that I’d spend most of my days dividing my time between 2 needy beings who require constant feeding and attention and I’d barely have time to brush my teeth, let alone write anything?

The way I see it, the choice boiled down to this: C.’s job pays more and provides health benefits. I am a self-employed freelance writer. I can work as much or as little as I like, from anywhere. I never intended to stop working. And I never seriously considered full-time childcare. I assumed that I could have the best of both worlds. And you know what they say when you assume…

Today I was catching up on some blog reading and I came across this post on Jeannette Maw’s Good Vibe Blog. Here’s an excerpt:

“… I believe there is one thing that can help no matter the situation we’re dealing with.

That is to recognize we have a choice.

We always have a choice.

Once upon a time I hated my job, but I went because of the story I believed about how I should be grateful for it, that bills needed paying, and that the investment in this career shouldn’t be wasted, etc. etc.

And it was misery.

But once I realized (with the help of a coach) that I actually had a choice as to whether I got out of bed and went to work, it wasn’t quite as awful to go. I could stay home. That was an option!

That choice would have consequences, surely … but it was an option!

Believe it or not, that was a new perspective to me. I could stay home! I could get a different job. I could spend my savings. I could go bankrupt. I could move back home with folks. (Okay, maybe not that.) But I had options!

All of a sudden this option (of going to work) made sense. (Until it didn’t, and then I quit.)
But it was easier to go to work when I did it out of choice.”

Hmmm… When you put it THAT way… Perhaps I have more choice about our situation than I’ve led myself to believe. Maybe it’s time to reconsider my options, shake up the status quo.

As soon as I’ve duct-taped my laptop back together, stain-treated the carpet, and picked up all the loose change within Riley’s reach, I intend to do just that.

QUOTE O’ THE WEEK: Me: “Miles, how’d you get so cute?” Miles: “I’m not cute, Mom, I’m awesome!”

SHOUT OUTS: Sending virtual hugs to A.G., C.R. & T.S. I know I’m not the only mama dealing with trials and tribulations!

7 comments:

Holly Rutchik said...

I love the CHOICE! Thank you. I work from home as well. As of a month ago, so does my hubby. Now I am wondering, "hey, how come you get to go in the bedroom, shut the door and work and I'm out here with the kids, MY desk is in the living room!?"
But, I COULD get a job outside the home if I wanted to. I love it, it does make me feel better! But, alas, I will still be a stay at home, work from home mom. I do wish my computer was not stationed above the smelly diaper bag and that my hours of work did not come between midnight and 6am. :)

April said...

Excellent post! One I needed to hear as well. One that has inspired a few thoughts of my own.....sometimes all it takes is to know you are not alone....

Brigid said...

I manage to dread the mundane (and the not so mundane), yet know that I can't fathom being anywhere else but at home with my children. Plus, they give me a lot of blog fodder...

Kelli @ writing the waves said...

Men DO NOT get it unless, of course, they are a stay-at-home-dad. Once a woman becomes a mom, it's like this guilt switch gets turned on and if we complain about anything to do with taking care of the kids, the house, or long for a few moments to ourselves, let alone long for the days when we actually did other things besides cook, clean, wipe butts, etc...we feel guilty.

I have found that the guilt thing is lightening up a little (just a little) as my kids get older and aren't as dependent on me as they used to be. The baby stage is HARD, especially if you are nursing and have a toddler/preschooler running around. So believe me, I know what you are going through. I can't even imagine adding a dog to the mix. I've told my daughter we have to wait until she's 7 and Noah is 5 before we get a dog. For now a 5 and 3 yr old is about all I can handle.

P.S. I hope your laptop recovers. Mine is still missing a handful of keys and the monitor doesn't work anymore. UGH!

Kate said...

Kelli, I'm with you--what *is* it with the guilt? And people talk about "Catholic" guilt!

You give me hope, too, by saying that it eases up as they get older. This post and all the comments seem particularly apropos considering that I'm writing while my 4 year old wails on the couch beside me because I told him (Heaven forbid) he had to wait for a movie until Mommy and Daddy start teaching music lessons tonight...

Jenni said...

Preach it, sister! I'm not quite sure how it is that none of us knows what we're getting into, but it's true.

Thank you for reminding me that a choice does exist, that there are options and combinations of options I haven't considered before.

My 2.5 yo didn't want to be put down until a couple of months ago. It's exhausting--hang in there!

Mom2Miles said...

Wow! I can always count on my awesome readers for thoughtful, supportive comments. You have no idea how much it helps to hear that other moms are surviving & thriving. I swear, some days I think this blog is the only thing that keeps me from packing up and moving to Guam! Though I suppose if they have internet access there I could still blog ....

Thanks especially to my new readers/commenters!

Related Posts with Thumbnails