9/11/09

Frugalista Finds

Those marketing people at Target are evil geniuses, I tell you. Evil because they separate me from my hard-earned money. Geniuses because they do it so well. This “frugalista” fashion campaign is totally working on me. One cardigan, 3 different looks? Sold.

I’m not a high-fashion person by nature. I like to look cute, but practicality usually trumps style. I will never wear heels to the playground, no matter who tries to convince me I should. (Sorry, Stacy London.) I think the shoes all the celebrities wear these days look like bizarre, futuristic fetish-wear. (Yes, that means you, Rihanna.) And I will never, ever pay 4 figures for a single item of clothing other than a wedding dress, even if the magazines call it an “investment piece.”

Except for the occasional business meeting, school function, or date night, I have no need to look stylish. Whatever I’m wearing is just going to get covered with spit-up and peanut butter anyway. But every once in a while, the urge to be at least moderately fashionable surfaces.

So off I went this morning to Target. Another reason to love this store? It’s the only place I know where you can shop for clothes at 9 a.m. after you’ve dropped off the kids at school. Plus you can pick up groceries, diapers, and Starbucks while you’re there. (How am I not on Target’s payroll??)

Actually, it took me a while to warm up to Target as a fashion destination, if you want the truth. Except for workout wear, I was hesitant to buy clothes there. A holdover from my label-conscious teenage years when I would only let Esprit and Benetton touch my body? Who knows. Anyway, then I had 2 kids and got over it.

Now, I have an extremely sensitive buyer’s remorse threshold. If I feel I’ve gotten a bargain or scored a great find, I go home happy and confident. If I spend too much, though, I’m laden with guilt and berate myself every time I DON’T wear those pricey boots I bought just because InStyle said they're hot this season.

As a certified accessory-phobe, I surprised myself by buying a scarf and a belt, among other things. When I was growing up, my mother -- the queen of accessories -- was always urging me to throw on a necklace or tie a jaunty scarf around my neck. But I couldn’t be bothered. Call it minimalist, call it lazy -– whatever.

But I’ve changed my ways. Those Target ads helped me realize I could wear the same pair of jeans and cardigan 3 days in a row and no one would know if I mixed it up with some different accessories. The scarf has a whole range of fall colors that matches some sweaters I already have. And now that I’m no longer pregnant and have a waist again, I can belt my shirts and cardigans.

If you spot a trendy, fashionable mom at the playground this fall, it just might be me. Unless she’s wearing heels. In that case, it’s most definitely NOT.

TIP O' THE WEEK: Did you know an $11 Target bra beat out Victoria's Secret in a Consumer Reports test?

LAUGH O’ THE WEEK: My son Miles can’t read yet, but the kid knows his logos. He can identify “the donut place,” the pet store, Chick-fil-A, and of course, Target, just by the sign. Also, he pronounces Target funny because of this SNL skit we always reference.

3 comments:

katie said...

Oooh, now you've gotten my interest piqued about the new "fall fashion line" at Target.

Oh wait. Except that I'm expecting and their maternity line sucks! Well, maybe just some accessories then.

SkinnyMeg said...

I heart Target. I spend wayyyy to much money there. The have cute stuff for your home too.

Name: Holly Bowne said...

Yes, I'm a sucker for Target's nefarious marketing techniques as well.

My kids are older and no longer smear me with spit-up and peanut butter, but this fall I'm determined to update my wardrobe of jeans and T-shirts.

My kids are at a festival with friends right now, and I'm SUPPOSED to be working, but maybe I'll just have to mosey on over to good ol' Target (which my friends and I pronounce "tar-jay" to make it more classy sounding. ;)

BTW, I enjoy your "Understanding Essays" column included in the Writer's on the Rise e-zine.

Related Posts with Thumbnails