6/18/10

Toy Story 3: Lotso Terror at the Movies

*Guest post by Dad2Miles

This past week, my wife asked if I’d like to take our son to an advanced screening of the new Pixar film “Toy Story 3” in 3D with free tickets she’d won. Taking Miles to his first movie in an actual theater seemed very exciting to me.

I can still remember my first time at the movies. I was probably just about Miles’ age when I saw “The Jungle Book” with my dad. Back then the theater was the only option. (Weird, huh?) That amazing memory has stuck with me all these years. This seemed like the perfect opportunity to continue the tradition with my own son.

I knew he’d love it. After all, he already loves the other Pixar movies like “Cars,” “Finding Nemo,” and “Wall-E.” He can even recite their lines verbatim. The fact that this movie was also in 3D seemed like icing on the cake. So it was decided. This would be an experience of a lifetime for my boy (and me).

I made plans to leave work early, beat the traffic, and surprise Miles with this fun, after-bed-time adventure. This would be a night he’d remember forever, and I’d be a hero just like Buzz Lightyear!

On the drive to the theater Miles clutched the movie pass in his little hands and hummed a song with excitement and anticipation. So far, so good! Unfortunately, from this moment forward, let’s just say things didn’t go exactly as planned.

As we walked into the foyer we immediately noticed a line that stretched about 100 people long, primarily made up of 20-something, out-of-shape fan boys wearing black comic book T-shirts. (Cue the skipping record player.) Hmm, not exactly what I was expecting. So we queued up behind these Kevin Smith look-a-likes as the spectacle and wonder of the theater started to diminish a little amongst their “World of Warcraft” chatter.

After about 45 min. we were finally in our seats, with popcorn and our 3D glasses. Father and son, just like I had imagined. As the movie began, the booming surround-sound and 3D technology immediately had Miles in awe, and laughing hysterically.

Unfortunately, his amusement was short-lived. The storyline started to take some questionable turns. About 30 min. in, the boys at Pixar decided to paint a rather dark and emotional third installment of this classic series.

SPOILER ALERT! STOP READING IF YOU DON’T WANT TO LEARN PLOT DETAILS

You see, in this chapter of the Toy Story trilogy, Andy, the owner of the beloved Toys, is heading off to college and the fate of his childhood playthings is up in the air. After a mix-up, Woody, Buzz, and crew end up getting donated to Sunnyside Daycare Center, where things are not as they seem.

What ensues next is essentially a turf war between the new toys and the Sunnyside toys, who are led by an evil, tubby, purple teddy bear named Lotso, whose southern accent and evil mannerisms give him the charm of a Klansmen. Our beloved Toys proceed to get tortured and dismembered by the unruly toddlers at the daycare while Lotso makes sure his clan gets quality playtime with the “good” kids.

The screenplay is actually quite hilarious and entertaining -- for me, an adult. In fact, I was so entertained that I failed to immediately notice the fear and anxiety overcoming Miles. As the content clearly became questionable for a 4 y.o., I started to wonder what this movie was rated.

At one point I noticed that Miles had ripped off his 3D glasses in an effort not to watch. There were multiple scary characters like “Big Baby,” Lotso’s creepy baby-doll enforcer with a lazy eye who reminded me of Jason from Friday the 13th, and the Tambourine Monkey.

Finally, at the movie’s climax, I began questioning my own parenting skills as we watched the good toys facing their death at the garbage dump as they rode a conveyor belt into an incinerator. The Toys were holding hands as they prepared to meet their toy-maker in the sky. Was this a scene out of “Schindler’s List” or a G-rated cartoon?!

At this moment I turned to see Miles bawling. I could hear the toddlers in front of us screaming as well. What had I DONE? “Do you want to leave?” I asked him. He managed to squeak out a yes from his knee-clutching, rocking position in his seat. “Wait,” I thought. “We can’t leave now. He’ll never go to the movies again. Certainly they’ll be rescued in the end.”

So for what seemed like an eternity, we waited for the happy ending and escaped the theater. On the way out, Miles -- who was obviously exhausted from this experience -- was clearly not happy and stated the obvious when he said he “did not like that movie.”

So much for the magic and mystery of the movies. At least he’ll have lasting memories of his first cinema experience with his dad. The question is, how many years of therapy will it take to suppress them?

10 comments:

K. Elizabeth @ YUMMommy said...

Awww...poor Miles. I think that Disney should have done a better job at screening this movie and giving it an appropriate rating. I don't think Miles will need any therapy. I'm sure this experience will be overshadowed by a more positive father-son movie night in the near future.

tineroche said...

Thanks Dad2Miles for the info about the movie because I wanted to go with my hubbie and our son. But now I might reconsider. It does not sound like it is a movie suitable for their age.

Kathleen@so much to say, so little time said...

I'm with YUMMama--I think he'll be fine.

We're planning to go see this this weekend...but hmmmm....

angie mizzell said...

You are the best dad, not only for taking your son to a movie, but for writing about it on your wife's blog. I request more hilarious guest posts from Dad2Miles. (Sorry it was so traumatic for Miles... thanks for the warning.)

Darcy said...

Oh my! At least you were not alone, as you mentioned a few other toddlers verbalizing their displeasure.

There have been some movies my hubby and I have gone to see (pre-parenthood... we're currently parents-to-be) and we've wondered why people are bringing their kids... movies that we found questionable for youngsters.

But a Pixar movie? They market towards children, so it is quite disappointing to hear how inappropriate it was. I mean, I've always appreciated their way of including multiple levels of humor for kids and adults alike... but your description of TS3 is.. disheartening.

I doubt he'll have this as a memory about how he doesn't like going to the theater, but rather about not liking this movie. I'm sure there will be something else that you can take him to that he'll enjoy.

katie said...

Curious... has Miles seen the first two Toy Story movies? I remember the neighbor kid in the first one being pretty nasty.

My parents wanted to take my 3 1/2 year-old to this, but based on this I don't think they will. Thanks for sparing others from a similar experience!

And, I have to say, how cool is it that Mr. Diary of a New Mom is an entertaining and poignant writer, too! :P

Mom2Miles said...

Katie, he hasn't seen the other Toy Story movies. Honestly, it's hard to know what sets him off. He won't watch 101 Dalmations because he hates Cruella DeVil, but he has no problem w/ the evil mutant tiger in Kung Fu Panda which is FAR scarier, IMO. I guess it's just a matter of knowing your kid.

I'll pass along your compliment to my hubs. I often tell him he's funnier than me. But I'm a better editor. :)

Meg said...

I had the same experience! my kids get scared at certain movies and other ones that I think are bad leave them with warm fuzzies. But this was definitely scary. I was kind of surprised and my girls were not the only ones crying and hiding in their seats. Thanks for the review! Still, no therapy necessary, I'm sure he'll save that for something really interesting-- like surviving high school! :)

Unknown said...

My children are older, but even my seven-year-old daughter was uncomfortable during the incinerator scene. I think the use of fire, a BIG fear for young children, was a huge mistake by Pixar. I told my sister not to take her four-year-old son (who is also a huge fan of "Cars").

There are websites that break down movies scene-by-scene so parents can be prepared before going to the theater. I've used them more than once to argue against seeing a "PG" movie that contains violent or other undesirable moments.

Anonymous said...

I am in 6th grade and I went to see the movie with my older sibling as well.At the age of about...hm...maybe 6 or 7 someone would enjoy it because they are not paranoid as a young child is but not disturbed as an older child as myself would be. Lotso was indeed a scary bear with his violence but what really scared me was how badly he treated the toys. I`d say pixar could have taken out the baby FOR SURE!Or at least given him an eye and regular clothes.A real memorable film and a perfect movie for 7th-adults. Overall it was a heartwarming,hillarious film!

Related Posts with Thumbnails