4/27/09

Top 5 Baby Buys

Before I had my first baby, I registered for a wooden highchair. It was simple, tasteful. It didn’t require batteries and wasn’t decked out with fluorescent rainforest creatures. Well ... fast-forward a few months and I’d bought the biggest, gaudiest plastic highchair money could buy.

See, it turned out that the tasteful wooden highchair wasn’t practical at all. A friend pointed out that the seat cushion wasn’t machine washable, the tray wasn’t removable or dishwasher safe, and the height and incline couldn’t be adjusted. Also, it had no wheels. Of course, I had no clue I’d need these features. That’s why I was glad to have mom friends steer me in the right direction.

I’m often asked by expectant moms for my baby-gear recommendations. Here are my top 5 picks. For more, I highly recommend the book Baby Bargains basically a Consumer Reports-type guide to all things baby-related.

1. Graco Pack ‘n’ Play. It’s a bassinet, it’s a playpen, it’s a portable crib. In a pinch it can store toys and serve as a baby gate, blocking access to stairs and such. I don’t think it matters what model you get, but I will say that we use ALL the features on ours -- the changing table, the canopy, the vibrating thingy, the music, the light (bright enough for a midnight diaper change but not so bright it wakes the baby). I recommend springing for the extra-cushiony quilted crib sheet

2. Bouncy seat and/or swing. Again, it doesn’t really matter what kind. You just need a safe place besides the crib to put the baby when you want to take a shower or cook dinner. Babies like a change of pace, too. Sometimes my son’s fine in the bouncy seat and sometimes only the swing will soothe him. If space is limited, get a travel swing that folds up. And take my word: don’t be tempted to skimp on the bells and whistles. Babies LOVE that stuff! The more flashing lights, toys, and sounds, the better. We call our swing “baby Vegas.”

sling3. Baby Bjorn and/or sling. Consumer Reports pissed off a lot of parents when they named cosleepers and slings among the top 5 baby products not to buy. Sure, kids can get injured if they fall out of a sling. But hell, my older kid can hurt himself on a pillow! When used properly, slings and baby carriers are life-savers -- the only way to have your hands free while you keep your baby close.

4. Gymini Activity Gym This cloth play mat is lightweight, portable, washable, and folds up flat for easy storage. It’s for babies age 0-5 mos. or so. My kids loved this thing. So much so that on one vacation when an unfortunate roof-carrier incident caused me to lose mine somewhere on I-95, I scoured the local stores for another. This is one case where I actually do prefer the simple black, white & red version to the more elaborate ones.

5. Boppy. I know, I know, this one’s hardly a best-kept secret, but here’s why I love it: it’s not only a great (washable!) nursing pillow, but you can prop up the baby in it, say, on the bed or floor of the bathroom in a pinch. You can also lay them over the Boppy face-down for “tummy time” before they can really lift themselves up much. Then the baby can actually see something instead of having his face squashed into the floor. Plus it makes a nice neck pillow for mom or dad. I’m all about versatility, can you tell?

So there you have it, people, my top picks. I need a separate post for clothing and accessories. Until then, remember: practical, portable, and washable are key!! Now go forth and register!

CONGRATS O’ THE WEEK: To my cousin and his wife, who are expecting their first child, a boy! Woo hoo! And to my college friend, M.C., who’s expecting her first as well. Happy gestating, gals!

LINK O’ THE WEEK: Hummus is an expectant mom’s best friend. Find more healthy snacks on the Healthy Pregnancy Blog.

11 comments:

April said...

so I totally can't see all of you in that pic, but you look great for just having a baby! woo hoo! I totally agree on all those items too. I wish I wish I had bought a sling. If I do it again I totally will. I love the fisher price rocker too. I dont' know what I am going to do when he is too big for it!

K said...

The Pack n Play continues to amaze me! We get so much use out of it with our toddler still. She loves to sit in it with her books, toys, blankets, animals, etc and just hang out in it. I love it because she does and it keeps her safe if I have to leave the room for a few minutes! Your top five are just what I would pick, too!! Thanks!

katie said...

I couldn't agree more with your Top 5! The boppy didn't end up being very useful to me with breastfeeding, but it did make the perfect prop for taking pictures of my guy as an infant. Cover it up with a pretty blanket and you're good to go!

Is your sling a Gorgeous Baby sling? I recognize the fabric...I loved using the pouch sling I got from them.

I totally agree with your take on the whole Consumer Reports/sling thing. Reminds me of that Motrin ad that targeted babywearing moms...outrageous!

http://dundeewriter.blogspot.com/2008/11/motrin-vs-babywearing.html

Dooneybug said...

I love your picks - I absolutely agree! One thing I love and can't rave enough about is the Fisher Price Space Saver Highchair. Sure, it takes up a chair in your home but the sheer square footage you save not having a bulky high chair is golden. Even if you don't have a worry about the space saving, it's just generally more attractive. It's also a lot cheaper than a standard high chair. When my daughter was ready for the high chair my son was still using the Space Saver one as a booster seat so I went out and bought a regular high chair. I hated that thing so much! In the end I found a First Years travel booster seat on clearance at Target for my son and then put my daughter in the Space Saver high chair. The bulky high chair is now at grandma and grandpa's for family dinners. Besides, they have room to spare!

Dooneybug said...

Oh! And by the way....you are looking smokin' hot little mama! I think it's totally unfair you look that good after just having a baby.

Mom2Miles said...

Thanks, all! Dooneybug, I agree about the Space Saver highchair. We bought one to use for travel & as a booster seat & for guests. It's great.

The sling was made for me by a good friend. Isn't it great? I tell her she should go into business.

Also, carrying a 10 lb.+ baby around in a sling burns mucho calories -- that's my secret, ha ha!

Loukia said...

I totally agree with your 5! The playpen pack and play is the best thing ever! And the Baby Bjorn rocks. I didn't get it for my first baby, but used it all the time with baby number 2!
I would add to the list the Arms Reach Co-Sleeper. It was essential to me for both my boys. This co-sleeper is like a big bassinet that attaches (or comes right up to) your bed so your baby sleeps comfortably beside you all night long. I had both boys in that in our room until they were 5 months old or so. :)

Mom2Miles said...

Yes, I've heard good things about the Arm's Reach cosleeper. And that was one of the things on CR's don't buy list! Again, if you use it properly, what's the problem?

Jenni said...

Awesome list. As a mom of 2, I couldn't agree more. Let me add one of my own: the Ergo baby carrier. I loved my Bjorn for my first baby but, let me tell you, the Ergo has surpassed even that--if it's even possible. Also, still use the Pack N Play. We'll never get rid of that!

Kelli @ writing the waves said...

Great Top 5! I didn't really use a sling/snugli, but the other four items are definitely essentials, especially the bouncy seat. My kids loved that thing!

Desiree said...

Great post! To hell with that consumer report!

Related Posts with Thumbnails