10/3/08

"Just a Mom"

I read this interview with Sally Field recently where she talks about meeting women who say apologetically, “Oh, I’m just a mom.” When in fact, her Oscars and Emmys notwithstanding, Sally feels that being a mom is actually THE most important job in the world. Most of the time, I would agree. However, a couple things happened recently that shook my confidence.

First, I had an assignment to interview some doctors at one of the world’s top medical institutions. This one woman is working on a cure for a blinding eye disease that affects millions of people in Africa and worldwide. Several times a year she travels to remote villages and treats women and children who have to walk 4 hours to the medical clinic and don’t even have enough clean water to wash their faces daily. Damn. And I was feeling proud of organizing the toy box in the family room?!

And lest you think (as I wanted to), “Well, she probably doesn’t have a family of her own,” yes, she does. In fact, her daughter and her husband are working on AIDS and malaria research alongside her in Africa.

During the interview, I actually began to panic a little. What if I never get to go to Africa? What if I never have anything close to the amazing experiences this woman was describing? What if my biggest accomplishment is making homemade Play-Doh for my son's preschool class? I have a friend who joined the Peace Corps after college—wisely, BEFORE she married and had kids. It’s too late for me!! I almost have 2 kids!

It had been a monumental feat just to arrange childcare, get dressed, prepare for the interviews, and drive downtown to conduct them in person. By the end of the day, I was exhausted from being “on” all day and trying to process loads of complex medical information. I wouldn’t last a day in Africa! Who am I kidding?

But maybe when the kids are grown. I mean, I might still have a chance to go to Africa someday, right? What I will never again be able to do, however, is go strawberry picking and hiking and sailing with my fiancé with carefree, child-free abandon. What? Did I lose you?


Let me explain: We got a save-the-date for a friend’s wedding the other day. It’s out of state and a month after I’m due to give birth, so the odds of me attending are slim. Yet I was still intrigued enough to check out the wedding web site. And there, people, is where I saw them: dozens of snapshots of the happy couple in full-on outdoorsy, in-love mode, hiking in the mountains, sailing, running marathons, going to baseball games and, yes, even picking strawberries. You know the last time my husband and I spent a romantic date picking strawberries? Let me see, that would be … NEVER.

This web site depressed me. Didn’t these people ever just sit around in their sweats watching TV? (Which is, in fact, what C. and I were doing at that very moment.) Did they ever argue about where to spend the holidays or whose turn it was to brush the dog? Did they ever get bored or irritated with each other? It sure didn’t look like it.

Well, duh, you’re saying. It’s their wedding web site. I know, I know, but it’s what it REPRESENTS. I am genuinely afraid that C. and I will never again experience such carefree enjoyment of life. Those photos were a rude reminder that we have missed our opportunity to live it up before we have kids. We will probably never again go to a baseball game together because it would involve hiring a sitter for 4+ hours and I don’t even like the sport that much anyway. I will probably never train for a triathlon (J.Lo be damned!) And I seriously doubt my husband and I would ever spend a rare afternoon away from Miles picking strawberries. (If our lovebird friends had had a toddler with them, I bet they wouldn’t be looking so relaxed and happy -- and I GUARANTEE their clothes would not be so clean.)

Then I looked up from the computer and realized that for the first time all week the 2 guys I love most in the world, my husband and my son, were both in the same room with me. We were just hanging out, relaxing, laughing at Miles’ attempts to show off by dancing to The Gorillaz on top of the ottoman. And I realized, hey, it may not be Africa or a field of strawberries, but my life as “just a mom” is nothing to sneeze at.

READ O’ THE WEEK: This is Miles’ new favorite book: “I Love You, Stinky Face,” by Lisa McCourt and Cyd Moore. He seriously made me read it 6 times the day I gave it to him. I bought it at Daedalus Books, this bookstore in town that sells overstock books at huge discounts. I couldn’t find this book on their web site, though they do have lots of others.

7 comments:

Kelli @ writing the waves said...

This post made me laugh and cry. I know what you mean about feeling like you aren't doing enough and somedays I too feel like unloading the dishwasher is a big accomplishment!

I often have to reassure myself that there is a season for everything and this is the season where my kiddos depend on me 110%.
I'm also in that phase where when I think of going to pick strawberries, I can't imagine not taking the kids. They would LOVE that!

(And if it makes you feel any better, hubby and I were married for almost 8 years before we had kids and we never did any of those things on the wedding website you mentioned. haha)

Mom2Miles said...

Thanks, Kelli! I, too, try to remind myself that what my life is like now will not be forever. Plenty of time to go to Africa later on!

Anonymous said...

I needed a post like this today. It made my heart sing!

Anonymous said...

I cried (and laughed) when I read this post because it was EXACTLY how I was feeling that day. I went from living that life that your engaged friends lived to living a life with my daughter and while the joy is greater & love has more meaning now, there are days when I am jealous of my footloose & fancy free friends. I heard a great quote once: "There are two types of couples in the world. Couples with children and couples without. Both feel sorry for each other."

Thanks for reminding me to be present in the moment!

gb said...

I've had the same feelings many times, most recently when I was reading the alumni magazine for my University. Those young students seem so focused and interesting. I kept thinking, Why didn't I study abroad, or go on an archaeological dig, or cure cancer when I had the chance!?

So, yeah, my life can feel a little mundane sometimes, lol! I just have to remind myself how fleeting these moments are. The chubby cheeks and milky smiles won't last forever.

princealexsmomma said...

Alex loves that book and all the other Stinky Face books.

Unknown said...

I have friends that are EXACTLY the same way. Kind of makes me sad when I see their pictures of all these cool things they do. But I figure, you know what, I had my kids early and I am proud to have them. By the time they are in college, I won't even be 40, so I can do those things then.

My daughter loves those Stinky Face books, because we nicknamed her Stinky when she was little. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails