2/26/08

Slacker’s Guide to Good Works

I have several friends who are very dedicated to making the world a better place. One started a school for inner-city kids. One has vowed to volunteer every day for a year. Some others organized a charity event and foundation to fund research on pediatric epilepsy. They don’t just talk about making a difference, they actually get off their butts and do it. Why these people hang out with a slacker like me, I have no idea.

I can’t even show my face in the church nursery anymore. We’ve been bringing Miles there long enough that I should have signed up to be a parent volunteer. But I keep putting it off. What if the Sunday I’m assigned to work, I don’t feel like getting out of bed? What if we spontaneously decide to go out of town? It’s just too much pressure.

I can’t shirk every responsibility, though, so when my friends T. and T. (yep, they’re THAT cute) asked me to volunteer at their charity triathlon on Saturday, I agreed. I mean, I didn’t have to get up early, and all I had to do was stand around watching other people sweat and write down their times. Plus, I was dying to get out of the house now that C. was FINALLY home to watch Miles.

The T’s started this event a couple years ago, as a way to help kids like their 3-year-old daughter, Addie, who has a rare seizure disorder. This girl is one of the sweetest, cutest kids you’ll ever meet. She's also quite the mini fashionista, running around in the most adorable little boots and leggings ever.

The way this family is, you’d never know everything wasn’t “normal.” Their house is the gathering place for everyone, and they somehow find time to entertain, renovate their house, rehab another house, take care of two kids, train for marathons, work full-time jobs, and organize this charity event. Sometimes I just want to tie these people to their couch and force them to watch the E! channel until they come to their senses.

So anyway, my friend E.G. actually did the triathlon, crazy girl, even though she’d flown in from Oregon at 1 a.m. I was very impressed with her motivation. Not so impressed that I joined her, mind you. No, I just cheered her on and then went and ate a big, fat quesadilla.

E.G. stayed at our house, and Miles totally fell in love with her. At first he was all bashful and shy. But soon enough he was parking his little butt in her lap and demanding that she read him books. Also, he has this thing about wanting to hug and kiss everyone he likes on the lips. It’s cute to us, but I can see how someone else could be put off by an amorous little suitor with a runny nose coming at them. When E.G. left, Miles sobbed and threw himself on the floor. It was so sad.

I like to think that I’m making the world a better place in my own small way by raising such an affectionate, sensitive little person. Hopefully when he grows up, he won’t be an emotionally unavailable creep who breaks girls’ hearts. Feel free to nominate me for a humanitarian award, ladies.

READ O’ THE WEEK: Did you see the funny YouTube clip of the mom who made up lyrics to the William Tell Overture? She’s a Christian comedian from Texas and there’s an interesting story about her in the Feb. 24 New York Times Magazine.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was a great write-up. Thanks for the kind words to our family and what we do (for fun). But one very big point that I want to convey is that without friends like you (and C); we would not have gatherings at our house, we would not have friends cheering us on to the finish line of a marathon, we would not have a helping hand when renovating houses, and we would not be able to have a charity event without you to volunteer!! So I guess my point is that you and friends like you bring more to the table than you even realize!

Thanks for your friendship.
T
(one of the T. and T’s)

EG said...

For those of us who are too scared to sacrifice our bodies for nine months (and then some) and are absloutely terrified to commit to being a parent... we are lucky to be able to live vicariously through you and your open, honest dialog about being a mom. It is easy to have a runny nose come at me for a 12 hour visit... but for a lifetime? I am not equipped. It is easy to get no sleep for one day to be there for the triathlon... but every day for the first however many months and then at any given time over the next however many years? I can't even imagine.

Thanks for taking this on for those of us who are chicken! You have grit that I can't fathom. The parking lot incident would have caused me to totally melt down... and the bumps and bruises? Yikes!

Your little man is absolutely amazing. Thanks for bringing him into the world.

EG

Nan Patience said...

Great title, great post!

Related Posts with Thumbnails