2/19/08

Mother’s Helper?

Let me just say from the start that I may come off sounding like an ungrateful little wretch here. But I don’t care. I just wish we could all agree that coming to visit to “help with the baby” is a big, fat façade.

If you want to come see your grandchild/cousin/nephew, fine. Go ahead and give him a ton more obnoxious, battery-powered toys. Bring him piles and piles of clothes that will spend more time in the laundry basket than on his body. Sneak him bites of your ice cream and snacks every time he asks and then playfully scold his parents when he doesn’t eat his vegetables at dinner. Just don’t do it all under the guise of “helping.”

Now, I will admit: those first few weeks when I had no clue what I’d gotten myself into, when I couldn’t figure out how to eat, shower, and care for a newborn in the same 24-hour period, then it actually WAS very helpful to have my mother and mother-in-law visit. Another set of arms was invaluable, especially if those arms knew their way around a kitchen and washing machine.

But now that I’m out of baby boot camp? It’s actually MORE work for me to tell would-be helpers where the pots and pans are, how the highchair works, and what the baby does and doesn’t eat than it is to just do everything myself. And as you can see, Miles does a pretty good job of helping himself these days. Also, I can’t stand for other people to come into my kitchen and load the dishwasher wrong. (Bowls all facing the same direction = right. Thrown willy-nilly on top of the glasses with plates jammed in between = wrong.) I’m sorry if that makes me sound like an unappreciative control freak.

Besides, when most people say they want to “help,” what they really mean is that they want to hold the baby, coo at him, maybe read him a book or take him for a walk around the block. They do not want to change dirty diapers, pick oatmeal out of his hair, or rock him back to sleep at 4:30 a.m. In fact, I do not believe that my own mother has ever willingly changed her grandson’s poopy diaper. (She does, however, outfit him with a new wardrobe every few months, and feed him breakfast sometimes. I feel obligated to mention that lest she refuse to babysit ever again.)

Look, I don’t blame the grandparents for not wanting to do my dirty work. They changed a bazillion of their own kids’ diapers, for pete’s sake. But when people ask, “What can I do to help?” wouldn’t you just love to say, “Could you wash out the diaper pail with bleach, change the crib bedding, sort out all the outgrown clothes in the baby’s closet, vacuum the Goldfish crumbs out of the car, and then research potty seats on the Internet?”

I’ve often wished I could hire some help from 5-8 a.m., and then from 5-8 p.m. Strangely, no one seems to want to work those hours. But they line up to sit when the baby’s sleeping. I did have a fabulous sitter who would fold our laundry when the baby went to bed. That was a HUGE help. My SIL actually left the kitchen cleaner than she found it when she came to visit. And, you know, it actually is kind of helpful for someone to take the baby for a walk. That gets them out of the house so I can re-load the dishwasher properly.

Besides, I suppose I shouldn’t look a gift helper in the mouth, to mangle a metaphor. We moms need all the help we can get.

TIP O’ THE WEEK: Wash any sharp utensils by hand. That way, you don’t have to worry about any small helpers hurting themselves on the steak knives when they help you unload the dishwasher.

10 comments:

Dooneybug said...

GET OUT OF MY HEAD!! Seriously, these exact thoughts go through my mind each time someone makes the suggestion of "helping". It is much less stressful to do everything myself than to orchestrate every move for another person. 'Cause you know it's not like they come and take over everything while you prop your feet up and sip on some lemonade. You also are trying to get stuff done and having to walk a "helper" through how to put the clean dishes away is distracting and annoying.

And we can be control freaks together because I also have a system for loading the dishwasher (all utensils handle side up so when they are being put away after having been washed, people aren't touching the part that goes in your mouth). I don't even like it when my husband does the dishes!

Danielle said...

That was very funny! A true mommy rant. I can definitely see where you are coming from. We do need all the help we can get-so I take what I can get- anything and everything I can get! Thanks for reminding me of all the chores I need to get done instead of blogging!

Anonymous said...

I'm lucky enough to have a MIL who takes the little one overnight about once a week, changes nappies(that's Australian for diapers), drops me at work and bub at day care and packs lunches for us on the days I go to work.
I do know the kind of help you mean though :-) Not naming any names.

Love your blog. My bub is a few months younger so reading your posts helps me know what to expect.

PeeKay said...

I am trying to plan a florida babymoon and found your site. can you tell me what hotel you stayed at in key largo? would you highly recommend it? or did you see a place you would have preferred to stay. thanks for your advice.

Mom2Miles said...

Dooneybug, your utensil system makes perfect sense to me. My hubby has actually put sharp knives BLADE UP in the dishwasher!! WTF?! Some people say, "Shouldn't you just be glad he's helping even if it's not perfect?" Um... NO. Not if it's going to make more work for me or cause bodily harm!

Mom2Miles said...

30-min mommy: It was kind of a rant, huh? I feel a little bad about it today. My MIL does cook wonderful meals when she visits...

Mom2Miles said...

emma: you're sooooo lucky! I don't get the big deal about the dirty diapers/nappies. Whoever smells it should change it!!

Mom2Miles said...

peekay: we stayed at the Azul Del Mar Hotel & LOVED it: http://azulhotels.us/azulkeylargo/main.html

Laski said...

"Besides, when most people say they want to “help,” what they really mean is that they want to hold the baby, coo at him, maybe read him a book or take him for a walk around the block." Oh--so true!!!

That was my life a little over six months ago. I can't lie. I'm sorta happy I live 300+ miles away from the nearest relative.

Found you at Nap Warden . . . had my blog spruced up by her as well! Great site!

Shawn said...

It is all a bit of a farce, isn't it? The 'I can't wait for grandchildren' routine, which I think secretly they don't really want but feel obligated to say.

I've had no help ... except, like you, with the presents.

Sometimes, like now, I am grateful they leave us alone and I can do my thing. Other times ... well. Argh.

Related Posts with Thumbnails