10/4/10

Man Hungry. Must Eat Now.

There’s just no way to approach this topic without making someone mad, so I’m just going to come right out and say it: what is UP with guys and their food?

Picture it: dinnertime, and the kids are going crazy. The baby is screaming and pulling on Mom’s leg as she wills the pasta to cook faster, FASTER, dammit!! The preschooler has collapsed in tears from low blood sugar, yet refuses any healthy snack offered to him to tide him over the approximately 7 minutes until dinner’s ready.

Into this scene walks Dad. Greeting his family briefly, Dad strides into the kitchen, fixes himself a plate, sits down, and eats his food. Oblivious to the World War III scenario going on around him. Unmoved by his children's cries. Unaware that his wife is frantically juggling chicken nuggets and sippy cups in an attempt to feed the animals before they attack. I ask you again, what is UP with this?!

Now, lest you think this is a thinly-veiled reproach of my own husband, I assure you I have conducted extensive field research on this issue. (And by that I mean I have bitched about it to all my closest mom friends.) This behavior is rampant, people. There’s a particularly high instance in households with small, needy, excessively screamy children.

My first theory is, it’s a survival instinct. Cavemen undoubtedly learned to feed themselves first, so that if a wooly mammoth attacked while they were feeding the cavebaby his strained peas (or whatever cavebabies ate), the caveman would have enough strength to protect his family. Makes sense, right?

Somehow, the 21st century suburban Dad held on to this survival instinct, and so his first thought upon entering his cave home at night is not, “How can I be most helpful to my wife?” or “Let me assist in expediting the feeding of my offspring in the hopes of quelling their discomfort.” Instead, it’s, “Me hungry. Must eat now.”

Believe it or not, I see this instinct as enviable, not (entirely) selfish. I WISH I could tune out the screaming and whining and “I want JUICE, not milk, Mama!” It would glorious if I could actually sit down and eat when I was hungry. Can you imagine?

Not choking down a handful of animal crackers or sneaking a spoonful of Nutella while I race to cool the peas and throw them onto the highchair tray. Not imitating a Jack-in-the-Box as I jump up and down to respond to every single request for another drink, an extra napkin, the Elmo fork, help cutting their food, etc., etc., while my own food congeals into a cold blob on my plate, untouched.

I wish I could put my own needs first and teach my children to wait patiently while I prepare their food. But I don’t think that’s happening anytime soon.

In the meantime, as one similarly-plagued friend put it, “Why don’t guys just eat a snack on their way home from work?” Now THERE’S an idea. Might I suggest something more fortifying than animal crackers?

RECIPE O’ THE WEEK: This is a tasty vegetarian dish that comes together fairly quickly and even my 19 m.o. will eat: “Orzo with Tomato and Fried Tofu.” Pan-fried tofu is mixed with orzo, fresh diced tomatoes, lemon and basil, then sprinkled with feta cheese.

7 comments:

It's Not Like a Cat said...

Wow, I admit I have complained some about my husband since our first child was born, but he does NOT do this! He comes in and helps and usually doesn't eat until the toddler has eaten. Sure, I tend to hold or nurse the baby during mealtimes while eating with one hand, but my husband makes sure the toddler eats a decent meal before he himself eats.
And it isn't just because eating WITH the toddler is not relaxing. My husband genuinely rocks on this front (and many others). I can't imagine putting up with the behavior you describe.
Actually, _I_ might be guilty of that behavior, come to think of it. :)

Kim Murray said...

I have two boys ages 5 and 7. They are ALWAYS hungry. The sheer amount of food they eat is overwhelming. I'm afraid, very afraid, of the teenage years...

Anonymous said...

Yes. Yes. Yes!!!! I have never understood this!! It helps to know I'm not alone. :)

Loukia said...

Hilarious! It's so true... sometimes they can be so... completely out if it all! And what is with those terrible tantrums at that horrible hour right before dinner? Shudder...

Mrs.E said...

I guess my husband is an exception to that rule. One of the many things I love about him is that once he hears the baby cry while we're eating, he'd drop his fork and run to get him. Mind you, that's because he is extra skinny and doesn't really care about nutrition. But if he had a paper to submit, or a presentation to prepare, the house could be burning down for all he cares, he will not budge!!

Kelli @ writing the waves said...

It is RAMPANT!!! My husband does the SAME thing. Love the caveman theory and the Fred Flintstone cartoon. hahaha!

Shannon @ AnchorMommy said...

So true!!! But the bigger issue for me is getting my husband to come home when he'll say he'll be home. I'm so tired of the "I'm leaving in 5 minutes" promise, only to have him call again in 15 minutes and say "Just one more thing..." as the kids shriek in the background. Lately I've given up on having us all at the table at the same time! It's exhausting.

Related Posts with Thumbnails