10/29/10

Boo on the Halloween PJs

Sometimes as a parent, you make mistakes. You let your kid drink Gatorade and he bounces off the walls for 2 hours. You let him have one last cup of milk at night and he wets the bed. Or you buy him spider pajamas for Halloween and then discover he’s deathly afraid of arachnids. And you make him wear the PJs anyway.

I can’t get a handle on the random fears my kids have. When Miles was a baby, he was terrified of:
- Old people wearing Santa hats
- Mean ladies in cartoons
- The vacuum cleaner and the blender
- Monsters

Then he got older and became afraid of:
- The dark
- The poster of tropical fish on his wall (He says it looks like it’s moving)
- Different foods touching (I really thought we’d dodged this bullet and I’d never have to buy one of those divided plates. WRONG!)

My second-born, Riley, is terrified of:
- The vacuum cleaner and the blender
- Bugs

(Not including the first 12 mos. of his life when he was afraid of keeping food down, sleeping through the night, and just about everyone but his mom. Especially old people.)

The bug thing started when he spotted a giant, hairy spider one of our neighbors had hung on their porch for Halloween. I admit, an enormous black, 8-legged, red-eyed spider waving in the breeze is enough to scare anyone. But Riley would begin whining and shaking whenever he was within a few YARDS of this thing.

Then at home, he would point to every speck on the floor (and in our house, there are lots) and say, “Bug!” Even if it was a leaf, an old raisin or a clump of dog hair. (Actually, a bug might be LESS gross.)

Too bad for him I’d already bought his Halloween PJs at Old Navy. Luckily, he doesn’t seem to mind those spiders too much. Miles got skeleton PJs that glow in the dark. How cool is that? And he thought so, too, at least until 4 a.m. the first night he wore them and he woke up glowing and ran into our room. “I’m scared of my jammies,” he said. And they’ve been stuffed in the back of the drawer ever since. Sigh.

Looks like I’m 0-for-0 on the Halloween PJs. So what random things are YOUR kids afraid of?

6 comments:

Elizabeth Flora Ross said...

I suppose you'll hate me when I say nothing! But trust me, it's not that great, either. My child is 100% fearless. Even of the things she *should* be afraid of. Like cars driving down the street. Water (as in the kind she can drown in). Dogs we don't know. Heights. Strangers. We have yet to discover anything that scares her. And that scares me. It also causes me to spend the majority of my days in a very frazzled state. And very much on my toes...

Anonymous said...

My 2 year old, Charlotte, is afraid of the ceiling fan. At night she says the shadows it makes look like a Crab Monster.

K. Elizabeth @ YUMMommy said...

Moo is only fearful of the vacuum cleaner if it's on. When it's off, she enjoys playing with it and making the sound effects. Idk what is up with that. And she can't stand small dogs, but she loves big dogs. I'm not sure what that is about either.

Jeni said...

Oh yeah, Zachy is afraid of the vacuum cleaner for sure. Not much else. Ironically he IS wearing PJs as his costume tomorrow - he is going as Harold from "Harold and the Purple Crayon" - he's got turquoise pjs and I made a purple fleece crayon ;)

MamaB said...

My 9.5 mo old son thought it was super funny when his Dad put on a Michael Myers mask- but when Mom put it on- it was the scariest thing ever~! I felt so bad- who's not scared of that???

Mrs. Ebrahim said...

My son has the same skeleton glow-in-the-dark PJs, and he doesn't seem to mind them, i guess because he is only 4 and 1/2 months old, and doesn't really know his PJs glow in the dark. But he is afraid of new people, new places, and new situations, which makes it hard to go bowling or celebrate halloween :(

Related Posts with Thumbnails