7/13/10

Is Dr. Phil Off-Base?

You know I love my O magazine. So naturally, I dove into it the minute it arrived yesterday. When I got to Dr. Phil’s column, though, this Q&A brought me up short. It hits pretty close to home:

Q: My husband and I have two sons, ages 2 and 4. When our oldest was born, we agreed that I would be the primary caregiver until our children reached school age. I am a freelance Web designer and work from home, but it’s impossible to advance my career when I’m running after two boys all day, so I’d like to return to a full-time office gig.

My husband hates the idea of our kids in daycare (I’m not crazy about it, either), and he’s upset that I want to back out of our deal. He promised to be more hands-on with the children on weekends to give me time to work, but his job is 24/7 and he’s always exhausted. Can we strike a better balance?

A: You made a deal. You can’t back out just because you’ve changed your mind. Either bear down and stick it out until your youngest reaches kindergarten, or try to renegotiate. If your husband won’t alter the terms of your agreement, be willing to keep your word – but explain that he has to keep his when it comes to weekend childcare.

Most important, optimize your circumstances within the confines of the deal. During the week, free up blocks of time for you to work at home or in a nearby coffee shop by arranging activities for the children under the supervision of trusted adults. I understand that neither of you is totally comfortable leaving the kids with others, but everything from parenting message boards to GPS tracking devices has made it easier to rest assured that your kids are safe and well looked after. Do your research, plan accordingly, and bloom where you’re planted.

# # #

Moms – WAHMs, SAHMs, and everything in between – what are your thoughts?

Personally, I found his answer a little harsh and off-base. He makes it sound like they signed a pre-nup in blood, for one thing. I have a similar “deal” with my husband, but it’s not like we hammered out a 7-page agreement and had it notarized. It’s a marriage, not a business deal.

And who says you’re not allowed to change your mind? Especially, I’d add, AFTER you get a sense of the real demands of raising two little boys. I had all kinds of preconceived notions and misconceptions and flat-out delusions about kids before I had them.

For instance, I pictured myself reading the Sunday paper and drinking coffee while my baby played quietly with wooden blocks on the floor. I certainly did NOT imagine I’d be fighting to keep my eyes open at 5:30 a.m. when the baby woke up, having run out of coffee and not had a chance to get to the store, while he shredded and chewed on the newspaper and threw blocks at my head.

Also, the “arranging activities for the children”? There’s no mention of cost, and I happen to know that every preschool activity in our area costs a minimum of $100 a session. And she’d probably have to find different activities for each kid, given the age difference. And who’s going to drive them and pick them up?

And lastly, the thing about GPS tracking devices? Huh?! Like you should install one on your kid and then go, from the coffee shop, “Oh, look, there goes my 2-y.o. running down a major thoroughfare. At least I know where he is!”? That makes no sense to me.

I’ve daydreamed about daycare, too. And I know that this is a complex issue that deserves WAY more than a 150-word answer. So I’ve got some recommended reading for you, Dr. Phil:

This is what raising a small boy is really like. You never know whether it’s going to be a good day or a bad day.

Being a full-time SAHM or part-time WAHM or whatever you want to call it is a HUGE adjustment. So much so that I wrote about my evolution as a new mom, Part I and Part II.

And THIS is what life as a WAHM is really like.

It’s not quite as simple as setting up some activities and getting GPS, now, is it?

9 comments:

Krista @ Not Mommy of the Year said...

I can't imagine what it would be like to work at home and I think his answer way oversimplifies it. I used to think I'd be able to do it, but now when I am at home and try to answer an email or proof something for a coworker, I have a kid that's trying to crawl onto my lap. I'm more in awe of people who work at home than I am of people like me who go to an office because of the discipline it would take.

HarmSkills said...

no his answer sucks. for the reasons you mentioned.

i do like the idea of getting a trusted caregiver once a week. I have begun to do that just to give me a break. I have a 20 year old college student who gets down and PLAYS with my son. I pay her 36 or 48 dollars for 3-4 hours and its money well spent. yeah its not chump change, but I value my free time. and cheaper than classes

mommytojenna said...

whoa - he really took a stand there. Not sure if it was more about the "agreement" with her husband that he was being tough on or the SAHM/working mom thing. But I think he's off base on both. My husband and I have lots of agreements that we have gone back on for various reasons. And is she really going to be the best mom if she's wishing she were somewhere else...I think a happy mom (whether it's working or being home) is a better mom. Oh, Dr. Phil...

Elizabeth Flora Ross said...

I don't pay any attention to anything Dr. Phil says. This is an issue that is personal and cannot be decided by an outsider. Every couple has to make the decision that is best for them, and that can change/evolve over time. Just because the couple made one decision at one time does not mean it can't be changed. But they do have to agree. Communication is key. As is compromise. If she really wants to go back to work, she needs to explain how important that is to her hubby. I wish them luck. These decisions are never easy!

Carrie said...

I completely agree with what you are saying about every day being unpredictable. There are times when I have to work from home for one reason or another (my daughter is sick or our daycare is closed, for instance) and I end up having to do the majority of work at night after she goes to sleep because I don't know of a way to efficiently work with a toddler around.

And please show me someone who was able to predict perfectly what their life would be like when they had kids BEFORE they had kids. Parenting is fluid and compromises need to be made almost daily. If someone told me to "bear down" and accept that I still have to do all of the housework (like I did before we had kids) I'd tell them to shove it. Maybe in a nicer way though.

Leigh said...

I've just found your blog, just became a mom and am enjoying the encouragement and reality check! Thanks. I agree that Dr. Phil did not give this sufficient attention. Regardless of what he says, speaking as someone who is starting at the beginning and making some "deals" now, I'd ask you why you decided to stay home and what was important to you about being with your kids until school. Do those same reasons still exist? I know your career and not to mention your sanity are factors here too. I really don't have an opinion either way and I don't think Dr. Phil is the authority on the issue either. Just thought I'd bring up the point for conversation. Thanks for letting us in on your thoughts.

angie mizzell said...

Wow-- look at all these comments! I don't think I can say anything you or these moms haven't already said about Dr. Phil's answer, so I'll just add that I laughed out loud about the no coffee mornings with a baby throwing blocks at your head.

Kristin said...

I just read this. A friend of mine sent it to me. His response is ridiculous! His attitude is toward keeping your promise/deal... um, that's a deal that was made without prior knowledge to what you're getting into. Anyone with kids knows that it's a wake-up call once you get them. I had no idea what I was getting into when we decided to have kids. I'm a SAHM. I daydream about work and daycare all the time. Any deal made without prior knowledge of the actual circumstances is up for renegotiation!

Mom2Miles said...

Thanks for your thoughtful comments, everyone! To address feleighpe specifically who asked, "why did you decided to stay home and what was important to you about being with your kids until school. Do those same reasons still exist?"

The short answer is, it was partly a financial decision & partly I never realized how little I would see my kids if I worked 9-5. I knew I wanted to keep working in some capacity, though, because I love being a writer & need an outlet to stay sane. I truly, truly believe that there is no one, perfect solution. I have mom friends in all sorts of situations & not a single one claims to have achieved balance.

Related Posts with Thumbnails