1/23/11

Off the Clock

You know what I realized? Except for one overnight trip for our anniversary and jury duty, I have never been away from both my children for more than a few consecutive hours.

So what that means is, as soon as I leave them at school, with a sitter, or with their dad, it’s like a stopwatch starts running. Gym, grocery store, check e-mail – bzzzz! Time’s up! Sorry, no shower today. Or: proofread and submit article, write blog post, make phone call – bzzzz! Time’s up! No lunch or laundry this afternoon. Or: clean kitchen and bathroom – bzzzz! Time’s up! Might as well face it, I will never have time to dust again until they’re in college.

Things are a little more lax on weekends when C. is home, but even then I keep a close eye on the clock when I’m out. A yoga class or a brief shopping trip is fine, but he’d balk at a day-long outing. I can’t say I blame him – 8 hours of breaking up fights over who had the Spiderman car first is exhausting. And 8 hours means at least 2 meals and 5 snacks, 3 or 4 diapers, and possibly even a bath. Not exactly Dad's idea of a relaxing Saturday at home.

This constant clock-watching gets to a person. A feeling of panic rises in my chest when I hit unexpected traffic or get behind a particularly slow person in line. Don’t you know I only have 27 minutes left?! I feel like screaming. (I should note here that almost every time we’re in the car now, Riley shouts, “Go, people, go!!” Wonder where he learned THAT?)

It’s to the point where I don’t know what to do with myself when I’m faced with extra time. When I was called for jury duty AGAIN recently (which my husband AGAIN suggested was some kind of break, as if I were spending the day at a spa instead of a bleak government building), I was at loose ends.

For the first couple hours, it was kind of nice to sit there and read a book. (Me! Reading! 20 whole pages in a row!) And I’m not gonna lie, going out to lunch by myself was awesome. They give you 90 minutes for lunch – 90 minutes!! At home I’m lucky if I get 90 uninterrupted SECONDS to choke down a sandwich. But after that, it got old fast. I couldn’t concentrate on a book. I couldn’t sit still in the chair. (Sitting? During the DAY? When you’re not in the car? How weird!!)

I couldn’t even write. Apparently, if I don’t have the deadline of preschool pickup looming over me, I’m utterly unproductive. I need the buzz of the dryer or the beep of the coffee maker to keep me on track. Efficient? You betcha. Productive? Usually. Sane? Not so much.

Tell me: how much time do you have to yourself during a typical week? And how do you spend it?

8 comments:

Vi said...

Haha! That's funny. Jury duty is a welcome break.

I dunno exactly why, but I don't feel like I'm that squeezed for time. My 10 month old is a super easy and happy baby. I work full time, but I didn't mind my time taking care of him on maternity leave. Feeling relaxed, happy, and sane is very important to me, and I strive to maintain that.

Anyways, I enjoy your blog!

Anonymous said...

My me-time is usually coinciding with my hour commute to and from school 3 x's a week. No Wiggles on the radio and coffee I actually get to drink. Sad, isn't it?!

Kathleen@so much to say said...

You are so right, that we are more productive with a kid-related deadline hanging over our heads. :) (Well, usually, anyway.) I have no idea how much "me" time I get in a week, b/c who has time to count? I need to be using it to write!! :)

The Pinterest Professional said...

Per week? Not much...lol. And I even count grocery shopping into that mix since I usually get to go by myself.

My friends have made fun of me - that w/ a 3 yr old and 11 month old I've only actually spent hte night away from my kids 4 times total. I don't mind it! Although I am looking to book a 2 night vaca for just me and hubby! :)

Angie Mizzell said...

I wrote a post somewhat similar to this tonight! I only have three hours a week, from 9-12 on Fridays, when both kids are in school. My husband relieves me on the weekend, but then I feel bummed because I'm missing family time. They always seem to be having so much fun! I am finally accepting that I need deadlines to get anything done, so it's all good. :)

Wulfa said...

We're both currently in school so I actually get several hours of non-children time per day (our kids are 3 1/2 & 1 1/2), but that's spent in class or studying. I enjoy it, so I count it as free time:)

Other than that, I think I get more non-kiddo non-school time than my husband does. He'll kick me out of the house when I start to get irritable.

I will also mention that we're army, so I've done long bouts of single-parenting, which is why my husband is very charitable when he's home.

Kimberly said...

Wow. This post is so on. Especially the part about evening having the stopwatch going when the babe is home with dad on the weekend. I take an hour-and-a-half gym class on Saturday mornings and after an hour I start to get itchy because I know once I get home I'll have to shower, etc., and how much time is that going to take? I don't know why it seems fine that I spend eight hours in a row playing on the floor, feeding, changing, and entertaining but I don't want my husband to have to...huh.

Etta said...

3 hours 1 day a week when I have a sitter. Includes work out and grocery run. Not entirely "me" time, but at least it is alone. I totally feel the clock whenever I have a sitter or my hubby watching the kids. The only time I don't feel the clock is when my parents happen to be in town and give me or both of us time away.

Related Posts with Thumbnails